Trump to deploy over 5,200 troops to Mexico border

webfact

On 10/30/2018 at 3:42 PM, how241 said:

Good to see a president who has the balls to do the right thing and send in the army to protect the border. He can do this because he is Not a paid professional politician. Hopefully,  many in this group will see that this president is not playing games and stay in Mexico or return to their home.

I think many of us wish he was a 'paid PROFESSIONAL politicians' as that might mean he has a clue about something and understand that he is held to international law in matters such as this. You can stick as many troops on the border as you want but if these people present themselves for asylum (as seems to be the consensus) then he has no choice but to process them. You don't need the army for that.

Also, it is well documented courtesy of Stormy that he doesn't have balls. Just a weird shaped mushroom.     

2 hours ago, johnnybangkok said:

I think many of us wish he was a 'paid PROFESSIONAL politicians' as that might mean he has a clue about something and understand that he is held to international law in matters such as this. You can stick as many troops on the border as you want but if these people present themselves for asylum (as seems to be the consensus) then he has no choice but to process them. You don't need the army for that.

Also, it is well documented courtesy of Stormy that he doesn't have balls. Just a weird shaped mushroom.     

If such a large presents itself all at one time,  then you will need the army to maintain control and order...It is certainly possible that some will be carrying drugs or weapons....What about food, water, toilets for this large group.  Who will handle that ?  Who has all that extra manpower to spare ?  Where will they sleep while they wait to be processed ??   USA side or Mexican side ?  Do many details that people don't think about.  Also the costs ??

13 minutes ago, how241 said:

Who will handle that ?  Who has all that extra manpower to spare ?  Where will they sleep while they wait to be processed ?? 

First, it's no surprise as to the number of immigrants in the approaching caravans and when they might arrive from their 1,000 mile travels largely on foot. The Trump administration wasn't caught off-guard that it couldn't plan to meet the immigration processing needs (ie., tent cities) of the potential number of immigrant applicants.

Second, the Trump administration has already "been there, done that." It used vetted defense contractors (ie., MVM, a Virginia-based defense contractor), nonprofits, corporations (ie., the Geo Group and CoreCivic) and religious groups to handle the temporary holding of the previous caravans of immigrants.  https://www.star-telegram.com/news/politics-government/national-politics/article213385464.html

But it appears that using the military resources sends a more patriotic optic for the upcoming elections.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Redline said:

The military can do nothing at the border.  They will only be expensive errand boys.  Will they shoot unarmed civilians?  Trump makes America look pathetic 

I just heard an estimate that it will cost a hundred million (or hundreds of millions) dollars to place the military at the boarder. But Trump couldn't care less about wasting this amount of tax payer money. Piss on it, if he thinks this effort will help convince 'his base' that he is serious about immigration, he'll spend OPM (Other People's Money).

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, neeray said:

I just heard an estimate that it will cost a hundred million (or hundreds of millions) dollars to place the military at the boarder. But Trump couldn't care less about wasting this amount of tax payer money. Piss on it, if he thinks this effort will help convince 'his base' that he is serious about immigration, he'll spend OPM (Other People's Money).

All of the border patrol offices will have clean toilets.  They might even create a "porta potty" brigade!

• Haha 1

On 11/1/2018 at 8:14 AM, wayned said:

All of the border patrol offices will have clean toilets.  They might even create a "porta potty" brigade!

Yeah, right! Hopefully (armed?) guards of tent cities housing thousands of migrants until their day in court, not released into the shadows of the USA (aka sanctuary cities). The border patrol officers would be busily intercepting more interlopers (PC euphemism for "invaders") for the tent cities. One question is: what color underwear would the tent city dwellers have?

Yes, I know - pipe dreams of the Donald:

Edited by MaxYakov

5 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

Yeah, right! Hopefully (armed?) guards of tent cities housing thousands of migrants until their day in court, not released into the shadows of the USA (aka sanctuary cities). The border patrol officers would be busily intercepting more interlopers (PC euphemism for "invaders") for the tent cities. One question is: what color underwear would the tent city dwellers have?

"euphemism for "invaders")"

Really? Can I ask you what's your first language?

Edited by bristolboy

7 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

euphemism for "invaders")

Really? Can I ask you what's your first language?

Why don't you worry about the (yours, no doubt) UK demographic and the potential outcome of unchecked migration/immigration and cease concern of my language history? Would "economic migrants" make you happier w/r my choice of words?

I think you missed this, being too hasty with your knee jerk question (as was I a little hasty with my reply):

Edited by MaxYakov

1 minute ago, MaxYakov said:

Why don't you worry about the (yours, no doubt) UK demographic and stop worrying about my language history?

Funny, In the Brexit thread I regularly get accused of being an American. But if you haven't got the facts on your side, then I guess you have to go with something irrelevant like alleged nationality.

11 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

You are being conned and by the looks of it you are quite happy to go along with it. I posted this on another topic but it goes for you as well.

It's the oldest trick in the political book; get the working man to blame the immigrants for all the problems in their life even though the country is run by billionaires and corporations. It always reminds me of the joke;

Billionaire, worker and immigrant sitting at a table with 20 cookies. The billionaire takes 19 of them and turns to the worker and says ' watch out, the immigrant is going to take your cookie away'.

Yet people can't see it. They just continue to fight among themselves for the scraps, blaming people who have little choice in their life but to try and find something better even if it means putting themselves and their children in harm’s way, whilst the billionaires and corporations sit back and laugh about how much they are still getting away with it and how no one is blaming them.

It's a helluva con and you should try and wake up to it sooner rather than later.

I don't have to wake up because I do not (and will not) have a dog in this fight (as they say). It will be my sons and grand children that have to deal with a country flooded with people of a greatly different culture and ethos. Have you ever resided in California for any length of time? Your post highly resembles communist propaganda, BTW.

Anyway, I already said it in my original reply of "pipe dreams of the DonaldHERE, proving I am con-resistant in this case (but not con-proof).

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

I don't have to wake up because I do not (and will not) have a dog in this fight (as they say). It will be my sons and grand children that have to deal with a country flooded with people of a greatly different culture and ethos. Have you ever resided in California for any length of time? Your post highly resembles communist propaganda, BTW.

Anyway, I already said it in my original reply of "pipe dreams of the DonaldHERE, proving I am con-resistant in this case (but not con-proof).

Much (if not all) of the statistical analysis of immigrants into the US show a net benefit to the country- Wikipedia quotes the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office which found that "over the past two decades, most efforts to estimate the fiscal impact of immigration in the United States have concluded that, in aggregate and over the long term, tax revenues of all types generated by immigrants—both legal and unauthorized—exceed the cost of the services they use...between 50 percent and 75 percent of unauthorized immigrants pay federal, state, and local taxes. Illegal immigrants are estimated to pay in about $7 billion per year into Social Security. In addition, they spend millions of dollars per year, which supports the US economy and helps to create new jobs. 

Since the figures do not bear out the 'drain' that immigrants often get labeled with, lets then investigate the 'greatly different culture and ethos' you seem to be so worried about.

Taking away the lower levels of street gangs and equal undesirables (after all you wouldn't like to be represented by the KKK or equally extreme white representation), again numerous studies have concluded that whilst there is a massive upside economically, it is also culturally. Charles Hirschman, Professor at the Department of Sociology and the Daniel J. Evans School of Public Affairs, Washington University concludes.

“While it is not possible to predict the role of immigration in America’s future, it is instructive to study the past. The current debates and hostility to immigrants echo throughout American history. What is most surprising is that almost all popular fears about immigration and even the judgements of ‘experts’ about the negative impact of immigrants have been proven false by history.” You can read his full paper here http://www.iwm.at/transit/transit-online/the-impact-of-immigration-on-american-society/

America was built on immigrants and has done pretty well out of it since they first arrived hundreds of years ago. To change the narrative now is disingenuous at best, complete fear mongering at worst. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, johnnybangkok said:

Much (if not all) of the statistical analysis of immigrants into the US show a net benefit to the country- Wikipedia quotes the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office which found that "over the past two decades, most efforts to estimate the fiscal impact of immigration in the United States have concluded that, in aggregate and over the long term, tax revenues of all types generated by immigrants—both legal and unauthorized—exceed the cost of the services they use...between 50 percent and 75 percent of unauthorized immigrants pay federal, state, and local taxes. Illegal immigrants are estimated to pay in about $7 billion per year into Social Security. In addition, they spend millions of dollars per year, which supports the US economy and helps to create new jobs. 

Since the figures do not bear out the 'drain' that immigrants often get labeled with, lets then investigate the 'greatly different culture and ethos' you seem to be so worried about.

Taking away the lower levels of street gangs and equal undesirables (after all you wouldn't like to be represented by the KKK or equally extreme white representation), again numerous studies have concluded that whilst there is a massive upside economically, it is also culturally. Charles Hirschman, Professor at the Department of Sociology and the Daniel J. Evans School of Public Affairs, Washington University concludes.

“While it is not possible to predict the role of immigration in America’s future, it is instructive to study the past. The current debates and hostility to immigrants echo throughout American history. What is most surprising is that almost all popular fears about immigration and even the judgements of ‘experts’ about the negative impact of immigrants have been proven false by history.” You can read his full paper here http://www.iwm.at/transit/transit-online/the-impact-of-immigration-on-american-society/

America was built on immigrants and has done pretty well out of it since they first arrived hundreds of years ago. To change the narrative now is disingenuous at best, complete fear mongering at worst. 

America was "built on" ("built by" is better wording) several categories of individuals and groups - entrepreneurs, colonists, slaves, natural born citizens, etc. These founding groups are not usually referred to as "immigrants".

However the Immigration Act of 1882 began the formalization of immigration to the USA. Following that, was a long period of controlled immigration and assimilation that was for all practical purposed ended in the 1920s to allow for better assimilation of legal immigrants.

President Eisenhower in the 1950s deported several hundred thousand illegal migrants. Since 1965, millions have entered the USA illegally or have overstayed their visa in violation of US immigration law.

1) As painful as it would probably be, learn some US History.

2) Don't try pulling any illegal activity with Thai immigration law.

Thailand is not as forgiving (or as stupid or as agenda-driven for additional voters and/or cheap labor) as certain entities US are and certainly not as forgiving when it comes to violations of its immigration laws.

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

murders, Middle Easterner terrorists,

Trump just got in bed with a murderer and middle eastern terrorist this morning when he said that relationships with Saudi Arabia were more important than sanctioning MBS who the CIA said ordered the murder of Jamal Khashoggi!