Getting around Chiang mai.

sidjameson

On 10/30/2018 at 10:55 PM, Kurtf said:

20 Baht or approximately 65 US cents will get you a ride on a red taxi to anywhere in Chiang Mai.

I assume that “...red taxis...”, “...baht bus...”, and “...songthaew...” are all referring to the same kind of vehicle, usually a small pickup truck with two covered benches in back. 

Does it have other names? 

9 hours ago, Catoni said:

I assume that “...red taxis...”, “...baht bus...”, and “...songthaew...” are all referring to the same kind of vehicle, usually a small pickup truck with two covered benches in back. 

rot daeng  which means red vehicle.  And yes, they're all referring to the same type of vehicle.  The red ones roam at random around the city while the ones of other colors have specific fixed routes, indicated by the place names written on the vehicles, in Thai and start their routes at specific locations like Wararot market, the South Gate, etc.

10 hours ago, Catoni said:

SongTaew translates as 'two rows'

From my experience of riding a bicycle in town and out in the countryside for about a dozen years now, I’ve rarely met up with any dangers other than some really rough stretches of street and a few neighborhood dogs.  Sure, there’s always been the occasional driver of a vehicle who’s bent on passing me only to slow down not more than 30 meters in front of me to make a left turn, causing me to veer out of the way to avoid rear-ending him, and imbecilic drivers who open their car doors without checking for approaching traffic, but that’s something for a prudent biker in every country.

The air quality, too, has never caused a problem to where I've worn a mask of any kind.  I truly don't like having to breathe that crud, but other than occasional watery eyes on the worst days, I experience no other immediate health issues.  A chest x-ray from last month appears to indicate that I’m good for at least another year of breathing Chiang Mai’s air.

I and a number of other older guys whom I’ve come across when out and about put thousands of kilometers on our bicycles every year.  The Thais generally dress like ninjas, but most non-Thais will be without masks.  Always wearing a helmet, however, makes good sense no matter where you ride.

A sensible post at last, all the scare mongering about riding on two wheels being a death wish, get on ya bike!!!!!!
[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Thanks 1

Bicycle is only suitable for the small lanes and not the main and busy roads with a lot of cars such as Thapae road and the roads around the moat or nimman.

I frequently see bicyclists riding there without thinking whether the cars will hit them someday. If you want to go to busy roads, it is better to take public transport.

Bicyling is only for inside villages and rural area not for busy roads like Chiang Mai central.

I once saw two American cyclists riding leisurely with not a care in the world, and then one Thai person cut in front of them to go to the gas station. The two American cyclists confronted the Thai person who couldn't care less. Don't expect the cars or motorbikes to slow down just for you. Your time is not more precious than theirs.

Rent or buy a motorbike, if not, then walk or take public transport but never a bicycle for busy roads unless you are ready to buy life insurance.

Edited by EricTh

On 11/1/2018 at 7:55 PM, NancyL said:

rot daeng  which means red vehicle.  And yes, they're all referring to the same type of vehicle.  The red ones roam at random around the city while the ones of other colors have specific fixed routes, indicated by the place names written on the vehicles, in Thai and start their routes at specific locations like Wararot market, the South Gate, etc.

I used to take the red songthaews in more or less east-west ....west-east directions in Chiang Mai, including up Doi Suthep to Wat Phra That a few times. 

I took yellow songthaews north past Chiang Dao. 

But I did have the phone number for one friendly tuk tuk driver I used from time to time for short quick trips around the city.