Spoolsv.exe Bug

skippybangkok

Computer hangs all the time, and looked at the CPU usage, and when the system is idle ( or trying to use it ), there is a item called "spoolsv.exe" chewing 99% of CPU capacity.

Its strange cause the normal spoolsv.exe takes 2000kb of memory, but this one is 7000kb, and is a known bug of some sort. I could eb wrong but it pretty much started at the same time I installed that cute screensaver which was on TV, recently in a thread, the one with the time bars going across the screen.

When you delete the file from the process, it comes back again in a few minutes, reducing your computer to a crawl. After several deletions, it stays away, but thenn u cant print.

Our IT has looked at it, dont know the solution, if anyone has any tips other than me re-installing windows, would appreciate it

Thanks !!

post-25605-1171508459_thumb.jpg

Edited by skippybangkok

I found this on the web. Hope it helps

"July 13, 2004

spoolsv.exe hogging 99% of cpu - the fix

I came into lab to find the printer printing strange ASCII characters, one line per page, and a basically inoperably slow PC. Checking Task Manager, I found the culprit - one spoolsv.exe at 99% cpu which I killed. About 30 seconds later, the cpu was once again clogged by a revived app. Here's the fix. First, get some breathing room - go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services and stop the Print Spooler. Turn off the printer. Now go to C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\PRINTERS and delete the files there. I found '00020.SHD' and '00020.SPL'. Now turn your printer back on and restart the service. Check task manager, spoolsv.exe should be at 00%. Whew!"

Also do a Google search for spoolsv.exe. The first 2 results I get are links to pantip.com in Thai.

My wife’s computer recently caught a series of nasties similar to what you describe and we found the cures on the pantip.com website.

I can recommend NOD32 as a good antivirus. Her IT department installed it on her machine and she hasn't had any more viruses.

Edited by Farma

It's a common problem, have a look here for some ideas http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1084678036

Check there's nothing in any print queues, particularly for printers that are offline.

EDIT From the above forum :-

This FIXED the problem in XP Pro:

go into control panel and select printers.

choose each individual printer driver and turn off spooling for that

printer (most likely the MS Imagewriter).

IT'S THAT SIMPLE!

Edited by Crossy

IT'S THAT SIMPLE!

Lol,

It really was that simple ! Our IT had installed a new version of Mc Affee, had totally patched every hole in my XP (over night process)....

They will be miffed how "I" solved it in 10 mins.

Thanks !!!

:o:D

One in the 'I' for IT

Agreed..... I have no formal IT training but can stretch the capabilities of the inhouse IT when it comes to XP. By the way, forgot to tell you they also reverted my comp about 1 week back to an old registry. ( and the mc affee they installed ysterday cannot be found now cause the reverted it..

.... Never teh less, was not keen on doing a few hour stint to re-load everything from scratch.

thanks again

Computer hangs all the time, and looked at the CPU usage, and when the system is idle ( or trying to use it ), there is a item called "spoolsv.exe" chewing 99% of CPU capacity.

Its strange cause the normal spoolsv.exe takes 2000kb of memory, but this one is 7000kb, and is a known bug of some sort. I could eb wrong but it pretty much started at the same time I installed that cute screensaver which was on TV, recently in a thread, the one with the time bars going across the screen.

When you delete the file from the process, it comes back again in a few minutes, reducing your computer to a crawl. After several deletions, it stays away, but thenn u cant print.

Our IT has looked at it, dont know the solution, if anyone has any tips other than me re-installing windows, would appreciate it

Thanks !!

post-25605-1171508459_thumb.jpg

I use to have this problem , decide to load a new window , problem come back , it come from a program i was loading

SCANSPYWARE ...

The thing that kills spoolsv is usually crappy printer drivers. Check if there alternative drivers for the printer(s) you are using and see if that gives a better result.

Example: HP LaserJet drivers from HP are bug riddled, leaks memory and handles - a better alternative if printing a lot with HPLJs is to use the Microsoft drivers for the same printers.

New Twist.....

Laptop been good for a few days, and hung again today. There were 2 documents pooled, 1 under the windows document printer ( like PDF printer) and the other under my Home printer. The were "spooled" at 10:28 this morning, strange thing is that I did not print this morning !

see here

post-25605-1171942679_thumb.jpg