Bangkok Bank Debit Card Renewal-Work Permit Required now?

I opened an account with Bangkok Bank five years ago and have my Visa debit card supposedly valid for another five years.  I heard that it will be obsolete next year and should be exchanged with a new Unionpay debit card at a branch.  Since I still live in Japan, I planned to visit Bangkok next month just to do so.  I have just seen a blog, however, which says now they require a work permit just to renew a debit card!!!

I know the bank changed their rule in July to require a work permit to open an account but they also require it to renew my debit card?

Did any of you who have renewed your Bangkok Bank debit card recently have to show your work permit?

If that is the case, I want to cancel my trip because I am going to visit there on visa exempt and most probably will be declined to get my new card.

Not heard anything about that. This is the info on Bangkok Bank website:

Apply now! Simply bring your Bangkok Bank passbook from a savings account, or cheque book, together with your Citizen ID card or passport (if you are an expatriate) to any Bangkok Bank branch. You will be issued with a Be1st Smart TPN UnionPay card instantly and asked to key in a 6-digit PIN of your choice.

ATT: Bangkok Bank has during the time you had you VISA debit card change from VISA to Union Pay, but it will surely work in ATMs.

You can also contact the Bangkok Bank Branches that is located in Tokyo or Osaka, that might be able to assist you without the need to travel.

1 hour ago, HappyAndRich said:

Not heard anything about that. This is the info on Bangkok Bank website:

Apply now! Simply bring your Bangkok Bank passbook from a savings account, or cheque book, together with your Citizen ID card or passport (if you are an expatriate) to any Bangkok Bank branch. You will be issued with a Be1st Smart TPN UnionPay card instantly and asked to key in a 6-digit PIN of your choice.

ATT: Bangkok Bank has during the time you had you VISA debit card change from VISA to Union Pay, but it will surely work in ATMs.

You can also contact the Bangkok Bank Branches that is located in Tokyo or Osaka, that might be able to assist you without the need to travel.

Unionpay will only work in certain areas, namely asean/asian.

28 minutes ago, assayer said:

Last month I was on a short trip in switzerland and on many places there the UNIONPay sign is available. So at least in swiss UnionPay is accepted on tourist spots. In Las Vegas about 1 year ago I also saw a lot of the UnionPay acceptence signs arround.

And I remember another Member which told in 1-2 other countries in Europe he also have seen them.

Yes It is still not accepted everywhere and could be better. But It seems it will become usefull within time. On the other side, there was a report (can be found here) that they will switch to mastercard next year.

1 hour ago, HappyAndRich said:

Wrong! UnionPay works in many countries. Almost 180 countries regarding the ATM function.

Everything else you can read here: https://www.unionpayintl.com/en/

From that site, for the UK

"Merchants with the signage of  all accept UnionPay cards, mainly are department stores, jewelry and clock stores, brand stores, hotels, duty free shops in major airports and most merchants in Bicester Village, Watches of Switzerland, Fortnum and Mason, Heathrow Airport Duty Free are particularly recommended. In addition, you can use UnionPay cards for payment in restaurants, hotels and many recreational sites, mainly including Hutong, Hakkasan, Maze Grill Mayfair, The Ritz London, Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park, Browns Hotel, Blenheim Palace and British Museum."

Basically it works at places that attract a lot of Chinese tourists.

Note the very obvious omission:  supermarkets.

I also searched for all the ATMs on Oxford Street (a very busy shopping street in London, England).  Total:  0.  Ditto Regent Street.

One certainly would have problems trying to get by with just a Union Pay card in the UK.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Oxx said:

From that site, for the UK

"Merchants with the signage of  all accept UnionPay cards, mainly are department stores, jewelry and clock stores, brand stores, hotels, duty free shops in major airports and most merchants in Bicester Village, Watches of Switzerland, Fortnum and Mason, Heathrow Airport Duty Free are particularly recommended. In addition, you can use UnionPay cards for payment in restaurants, hotels and many recreational sites, mainly including Hutong, Hakkasan, Maze Grill Mayfair, The Ritz London, Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park, Browns Hotel, Blenheim Palace and British Museum."

Basically it works at places that attract a lot of Chinese tourists.

Note the very obvious omission:  supermarkets.

I also searched for all the ATMs on Oxford Street (a very busy shopping street in London, England).  Total:  0.  Ditto Regent Street.

One certainly would have problems trying to get by with just a Union Pay card in the UK.

I´ve been using the card myself on trips to my home country, which is Sweden. Also used UnionPay in Germany, UK, France and Spain.

Even if the mark ain´t on the ATM machines, it mostly works anyway.

Renewed my debit card last month, no work permit asked for, checked the Visa in the passport etc.

I went for the one with the accident , medical add-ons, 699 baht per annum I think.

My account is in Bangkok, so I had to renew it there (any branch in that area), could not renew in the region where Im staying.

The UK is on the list of places it can be used, but as stated, and as bank staff said. not as much as Visa. (I only use the card in Thailand).

Changes; now six digit pin number (good), now can be used in other banks machines for cash withdrawals (previously only Bangkok Bank ATMs)

I have used the new card for merchant payments in Bangkok, and received a text to the phone , a few minutes later , alerting me to the amount spent and where.

Great Service from Bangkok Bank, had accounts with them for many years...

(Barclays bank apparently accept Union Pay for cash withdrawals at the ATMS in the U.K..)

Edited by johnwf1963

5 hours ago, HappyAndRich said:

Even if the mark ain´t on the ATM machines, it mostly works anyway.

Not in the UK.  It used to be that all "Link" ATM machines (which is the vast majority) accepted UnionPay cards for withdrawals.  That stopped in March 2016.

Now (to the best of my knowledge), only Travelex, Cardtronics, Moneycorp, DCPayments, Yourcash and Barclays ATMs accept the card.

(Reportedly HSBC ATMs also accept the card, but only for UnionPay accounts opened in the UK.)

I am a Permanent resident and have a Bangkok Bank FCD account and associated savings account.

When making a recent transaction online, on the savings account I received this message

Sorry your banking records indicate your visa status is Tourist or Foreigners who are permanent residents in Thailand without work permit you may not be able to apply or update your profile for the service via the website channel In this case please visit your nearest Bangkok Bank branch to apply

I do not have a work permit. No problem when I opened the account. No problem when I obtained PR 29 years ago.

Neither Bangkok Bank branch nor head office are able to explain what their message means. "What can I and what can I not do" ? No answer.  "Can I withdraw funds from my FCD account".  "Yes I think so"  Not acceptable ... YES or NO!!!...  Asked to check...why should I. I do NOT want to withdraw foreign currency at the current low rates, just to check all is in order!

Repeated online secure messages to Bangkok Bank, but no response!

I went to BKK Bank this week to get a new debit card.  My Visa debit card is expiring.  The offered me a Union Pay card BUT......they also told me that beginning on Nov 1 they will start issuing MasterCard debit cards.  They told me to come back on or after Nov 1 if I want the MasterCard debit card.  I chose to wait.  I’ll go back this weekend to get the MasterCard debit card.  Bangkok Bank has provided me with excellent service for the past five years both in Chiang Mai and in Bangkok.  I’m retired on extension of stay, hence no work permit.  The BKK Bank Did not ask for and does not need to see a work permit from me.  

I suggest the OP check again now that we’re into November!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TofuHead said:

Thank you guys for your replies, I am relieved to know I don't have to show a work permit.  I will visit my Bangkok Bank branch next month as planned.

This is one of the curses of Thai banking. There often is very little consistency of policy from one branch to another, even within the same banking company.

AFAIK, there is no such policy to require work permits to obtain or renew BKKB debit cards. I got a replacement card from BKKB just a couple months back, and I've never had a work permit. And obviously didn't need one to open my original account with BKKB.

However, there ARE some branches that will tell you a work permit is required either to open a new account or do other things. And some Thai bank companies (not BKK Bank, though) do in fact appear to enforce that kind of policy. But in the case of BKKB, it's more likely just the staff at your particular branch being either mis-informed or ignorant.

You can either try to speak with the branch manager, or, simply go to a different branch and see if they'll accommodate you.

On 11/1/2018 at 5:15 AM, assayer said:

Yes this is the main issue with the change. The okd card would work almost worldwide with any ATM. If you change to the new one it is limited. Confirmed by a friend ut did not work in Europe. So my recommendation is: If you potentially need to withdraw money outside Thailand, do not change the card until expired.

Renewed my Krung Thai Bank debit card yesterday :no problems there, all I needed was the passbook, old card and passport :was on a 30 day exemption, but they didn't even look at my stamp. I live in Vietnam now, told them so and they said the new card/system will be much easier to use now abroad. 

On 11/2/2018 at 9:27 AM, WorldTravellerMUC said:

Yes this is the main issue with the change. The okd card would work almost worldwide with any ATM. If you change to the new one it is limited. Confirmed by a friend ut did not work in Europe. So my recommendation is: If you potentially need to withdraw money outside Thailand, do not change the card until expired.

Just had a look at the Bangkok Bank website as I am also concerned about the loss of my Visa Debit card next year and noticed this. 

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Cards/Be1st-Smart-Card/Be1st-Smart-TPN-Mastercard

The site says this card will be available from 5th November 2018 and sounds like a better alternative to the UnionPay version

after reading all the negative comments about the new Bangkok Bank Union pay card, and my Bangkok bank Visa card just expired, I visited the Bangkok bank in Pattaya today.

I was of course offered the Union Pay card, but declined. wanted a Visa or Mastercard.

No problem at all, after 10 minutes I walked out with my new Be1st Mastercard, no problems whatsoever.

Had to sign about 10 pages of forms, give them my old Visa card, passport and present address and enter a new pin (6 digits instead of 4) at the counter.

walked out and tried the card right away - worked fine.

thaisabai

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Update:- As from yesterday (Monday 5th November) Bangkok Bank now issues MASTERCARD DEBIT CARDS over the counter. To change from Union Pay or VISA, all you need to show is your bank book and (in my case) a valid passport with valid visa data. As I did not have my passport on me I shall go tomorrow to collect my new Mastercard debit card. The bank staff could not have been more helpful. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got my new MasterCard but immediate problem as it doesn’t seem to be accepted to pay my 3bb bill online as I had always previously done with the Visa version. The 3bb site says it accepts Mastercard but although it allows me to put my number in and initially accepts the payment it subsequently rejects at the ‘verified by visa’ stage.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

There is a "verified by mastercard", have it on my aussie one, should be in Thailand as well

Interesting. How does it work though? When I put my details into the 3bb website it looks as though everything is ok but then it automatically shifts to this “verified by visa “ section and the transaction is rejected. How can I get it to refer to “verified by MasterCard” instead? It seems to be up to the system, not up to me.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app