Thai wife & kids entering Thailand on Expired Thai passports?

Hi All,

I have searched with differing & out dated results as to whether it is possible for my Thai wife & step children, who have dual nationality (UK & Thai Citizenship) to enter Thailand on their expired Thai passports & get new ones while we are in Thailand.

They will leave the Uk on their British passports but as we are staying over 30 days if they are able to enter on their expired Thai passports this would mean that they wouldn't need tourist visas.

Thanks

p.s. I am trying to get through to Thai consulate in the UK to find out but it is difficult to get through to speak to anyone.

Thanks Ubonjoe, that's what I thought, I just need to convince my wife as someone she has spoken to at the Thai passport office in Thailand told her that she won't be able to do this & would need to either renew her passport in the UK or enter on her British passport which would mean having to get a visa as we are staying over 30 days.

This has been covered many times with the consistent conclusion being that there is no problem entering Thailand on an expired Thai passport.

Several people have testified as to personal experiences confirming this.

One slight caveat - There have been a number of cases reported with an over-officious and/or ill-informed IO insisting on the person using the non-Thai passport to enter the kingdom. If that happens, you should ask to talk to a supervisor to get it sorted out correctly.

• Thanks 1

Not sure if this would help, but in a previous discussion there was information posted from an IATA database where you can check the requirements for entry. For travel to Thailand, the following result was obtained.

"in_on_no.gif

Passport required.
- Nationals of Thailand are allowed to enter with an expired
passport."

I found one previous post in which a contributor says his daughter was allowed to enter on a 2 year old expired passport.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, bryangiggs said:

Thanks Ubonjoe, that's what I thought, I just need to convince my wife as someone she has spoken to at the Thai passport office in Thailand told her that she won't be able to do this & would need to either renew her passport in the UK or enter on her British passport which would mean having to get a visa as we are staying over 30 days.

They can come in on UK passport get a 30.visa exemption on arrival in Thailand and extend that for another 30 days at the immugration office where they are staying.

39 minutes ago, Dorian232 said:

They can come in on UK passport get a 30.visa exemption on arrival in Thailand and extend that for another 30 days at the immugration office where they are staying.

A Thai can apply for a one year extension as a returning Thai national at immigration for the same 1900 baht fee as the 30 day extension. They only need to prove their Thai nationality.

17 hours ago, bryangiggs said:

Apologies if this is going over old ground, I did do a quick search the forums but anyone else with any experience of this please let me know so I've got more ammunition to convince the wife????

My wife and eldest son entered March 2017 with expired Thai passports. IO woman gave her a short lecture about not having a current one ???? but no problem getting through. Renewed in Bangkok two days after entry.

• Thanks 1

Don't know about UK, but in the States the Thai "mobile consulate" comes around from time to time to major cities.  My wife and new baby were both able to get new Thai passports in Hawaii.  This may be too late for your family, but might be useful to others on this forum.  We also got a Thai birth certificate for our baby who was born in the States. 

1 hour ago, RasiMike said:

My wife and eldest son entered March 2017 with expired Thai passports. IO woman gave her a short lecture about not having a current one ???? but no problem getting through. Renewed in Bangkok two days after entry.

Did it sunday.RSA passport used to exit arrive uk , 8yr expired.only hassle had was in dubai. two hours later, given two meal vouchers and upgraded to prem eco class

On 11/2/2018 at 3:23 PM, bryangiggs said:

They will leave the Uk on their British passports but as we are staying over 30 days if they are able to enter on their expired Thai passports this would mean that they wouldn't need tourist visas.

The only possible problem would be with the airline at Check-in depending on the airline you are flying, Thaiair will be no problem (they understand the expired passport rule) but other airlines may refuse boarding without an onward ticket as the only valid passport will be a UK one. I strongly suggest that you contact the airline to make sure that you will be permitted to board the plane and get the answer in writing.

As others have said, the kids will be able to enter on expired Thai passports without an issue. Online airline databases spell that out quite clearly.

There is a huge caveat to this however. They will only be allowed to leave on NEW Thai passports.

For them to get a new Thai passport in Thailand this requires a couple of things.

- the kids being registered on a house registry 

- BOTH parents being present at the time of applying for the passport, with requisite ID.

Suggest you look closely at what documents will be necessary to apply when in Thailand, and don’t leave any documentation behind in the Uk, just in case you need it (ie birth certificates, etc).

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

but expect to be yelled at by the high and mighty immigration officers on a power trip. 

I don't know about that. I was just stating what the rules are. I have never been yelled at by immigration officer.

12 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

but expect to be yelled at by the high and mighty immigration officers on a power trip. 

Not sure about that. A couple of times in the past when I renewed my Thai PP overseas, upon re-entry I presented my new PP. The officer asked for the old one instead and stamped me in on that.

Since the advent of he auto gates, I’ve always use those and now don’t bother with IOs unless travelling with out kids who can’t used the gates. 

On 11/3/2018 at 3:29 AM, Dorian232 said:

A lot of hasle, get a new passport in the Royal Thay Embassy in UK.

Thanks for all the helpful replies, I have managed to convince the wife that they will be ok.

They will be leaving & entering UK and Singapore on UK passports & entering Thailand on expired Thai passports, while we are there they will all get new Thai passports & we have all the correct documents.

Thanks Again

• Like 1

Thanks for all the helpful replies, I have managed to convince the wife that they will be ok.
They will be leaving & entering UK and Singapore on UK passports & entering Thailand on expired Thai passports, while we are there they will all get new Thai passports & we have all the correct documents.

Thanks Again
Have a good trip. [emoji3]

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Just an update on the above, there was a bit of a delay and some questioning when entering on expired Thai passports. An immigration official was called and after a lengthy conversation all were allowed through. 

My wife was told that they are clamping down on this practice for one reason or another, even though the Thai constitution states it will not deny a Thai citizen entry.

We will make sure we renew them before entering next time just in case. 

Thanks again for the replies, we had a great time but now back to reality until the next trip!