Speed Limits in Thailand

nong38

I was under the impression that highest legal limit on roads/motorways was 120 kph. For some time now I see illuminated signs saying 90, also across lanes with 90 above and your speed as you approach, is this '90' an advisory speed or a new legal limit?

Your second sentence is what I would interpreted the signs, although my satnav says different. Others that I have spoken to seem to think that so long as you travel at 100kph everything is fine but I do wonder if those signs over the road will soon be connected to cameras and the thai post.

My lady looked on the Thai police site and it was inconclusive and I am sure that I am not alone in being confused, the locals are not confused they just ignore the signs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nong38 said:

the locals are not confused they just ignore the signs.

I would never dispute this statement :biggrin:

1 hour ago, nong38 said:

Others that I have spoken to seem to think that so long as you travel at 100kph

I don't know whether and how big the tolerances might be.

1 hour ago, nong38 said:

those signs over the road will soon be connected to cameras and the thai post.

Khon Kaen's through road is plastered with illuminated 80 or 60 signs and cameras everywhere. And no too many Thais who seem to ignore. I drive 80 to the point and rarely another car passing.

On the Bangkok - Chonburi express way, you see physical signs on the side of the expressway that shows 120, and right next or very close, there is one of those LED signs showing 90. The confusion, I think is which should you follow in this case? which supersedes the other?

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I don't know whether and how big the tolerances might be.

I don't think there are normally any tolerances. There have been reports on here of people getting tickets in the post for 123kph (from memory) in a 120 limited area.

On the 7 I think you are ok up to 120 until they get round to adding lots more cameras but the flashing 90 signs followed in some places very closely by 120 sign make it very confusing. 

When recently sitting the compulsory computer test when renewing my license, not a single question regarding max speeds on roads, but some signage posted with a MINIMUM speed marked on some roads, and was in the test questions..??? 

I have seen some signage with 90 limit with speed camera warnings.. 

If no one really knows the max speed it's no wonder you see idiots driving at 140kmh.. Max speed limits should be posted everywhere and enforced.. One way of lowering the horrific road death toll.. But TIT.. 

In Australia and you can be fined for driving at a measly 3km over the limit and fined upwards of AUD200.. 

• Sad 2

The speed limit in reality is as fast as you wish to travel.  As long as you understand that there are occasional speed traps you simply factor the price of speeding tickets into the cost of driving, that is if you chose to pay them - most Thais don't.  Many of the radar detectors are stationary so if you know where they are, you slow down for them and then accelerate back up to 140 or so and continue on your way.  You don't have to worry about patrol cops as Thailand have no patrol officers in cars.  Sure, the speed limit on the books is 90 on highways, but if you're driving 90 its like your standing still.  That's reality because the roads are lawless and are an exercise in anarchy.  And that explains why this is the most dangerous country in the world to drive in.  Nobody cares, not even the cops.

• Sad 1

I was driving on the divided highway between Khao Yai and Korat a couple of years ago and was pulled over by the police after a speed camera and the officer said i was going over the 120 klm/hour speed limit and said the fine was 400 Bt. but settled for 200 cash.

but i think most areas are 90, but i am as confused as everyone else.

3 hours ago, GSFISM said:

I can see a problem if they start the point system next year. Singapore issues a driver particular form to registered number. And fines, points issued to driver. Maybe something similar here if enacted. And...No of the mail order fines were against me. Lucky me thinks....

What's the problem with a points system?  I believe I read that some crazy number, like 30%, of Thais drive without a license.  So they take your licenses if you have too many points? :clap2: I fail to see the downside.  You're pulled over at a road block, fined 400 THB for driving without a license, issued a receipt which allows you to drive the rest of the day!  Point system?  So what.

Edited by CALSinCM
  • Sad 1

AFAIK the speed limit is 90 km/hr, but more honoured in the breach, than in observance. Except for the Somchais who travel at 40km/hr in the right hand lane when the posted limit is 90. Grrrr.

A bit off topic, I was coming back from a restaurant in the dark tonight. Chiang Mai. I thought if the police ever decided to work at night, they would make a fortune in fining scooter riders for not wearing a helmet.

On 11/2/2018 at 9:25 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Illuminated signs do not specify a new legal limit.

And they are not advisory but mandatory for the stretch of road that they cover.

If that is your question? (unsure because this is no different from the rest of the world that I know)

90 is the legal limit for divided highways (that are not motorways).

80 is the legal limit for undivided highways.

Been so for ages.

I am a retired Police Officer from the UK so I have an interest in this.

As a result of inquiries made !!!!!!! I have found the following for cars and Pick ups.

In a town center 50km per hour similar to UK.

I was informed recently that the dual/3 carriageway Sukhumvit road which runs through Pattaya the speed limit is 80 km per hour. No signs to tell you that. There are speed cameras there and traffic light cameras there. So be careful out there.

On a main road outside the town 90 km per hour. Single or dual carriageway.

On the Motorway 120KM per hour. 

If there is an electronic sign advising you to drive slower then obviously do so. It is common sense. Same as in the UK sometimes the Control Room operator forgets to switch off the electronic speed indicator. Remember Speed KILLS and driving that bit faster will only get you there a few minutes earlier. Life is short and precious do not take unnecessary risks to arrive a few minutes earlier.

Edited by The Names Bond
mistake
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Names Bond said:

I am a retired Police Officer from the UK so I have an interest in this.

As a result of inquiries made !!!!!!! I have found the following for cars and Pick ups.

In a town center 50km per hour similar to UK.

I was informed recently that the dual/3 carriageway Sukhumvit road which runs through Pattaya the speed limit is 80 km per hour. No signs to tell you that. There are speed cameras there and traffic light cameras there. So be careful out there.

On a main road outside the town 90 km per hour. Single or dual carriageway.

On the Motorway 120KM per hour. 

If there is an electronic sign advising you to drive slower then obviously do so. It is common sense. Same as in the UK sometimes the Control Room operator forgets to switch off the electronic speed indicator. Remember Speed KILLS and driving that bit faster will only get you there a few minutes earlier. Life is short and precious do not take unnecessary risks to arrive a few minutes earlier.

Plus, bear in mind and no surprise. UK and Thailand same population. In the UK on average, 6 people die on the roads every day. In Thailand so far this year 73 people killed on the roads every day.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, CALSinCM said:

The speed limit in reality is as fast as you wish to travel.  As long as you understand that there are occasional speed traps you simply factor the price of speeding tickets into the cost of driving, that is if you chose to pay them - most Thais don't.  Many of the radar detectors are stationary so if you know where they are, you slow down for them and then accelerate back up to 140 or so and continue on your way.  You don't have to worry about patrol cops as Thailand have no patrol officers in cars.  Sure, the speed limit on the books is 90 on highways, but if you're driving 90 its like your standing still.  That's reality because the roads are lawless and are an exercise in anarchy.  And that explains why this is the most dangerous country in the world to drive in.  Nobody cares, not even the cops.

Maybe thailand is emulating germany’s autobahn speed limit which is drive how you like as long as your vehicle can take it. Oops... forgot about Thai driving skill ... 

10 hours ago, owenm said:

When recently sitting the compulsory computer test when renewing my license, not a single question regarding max speeds on roads, but some signage posted with a MINIMUM speed marked on some roads, and was in the test questions..??? 

I just sat the e-exam yesterday. Somehow through the poor English translation and multiple correct answer possibilities, I scored a 50 out of 50. The examiner was so impressed he announced it to the candidates still sitting the exam. As for the maximum speed limits in Thailand. I have no official idea but what has been posted does make sense. 120 expressways, 90 highways, 80 on divided highways like Sukhumvit in Pattaya, 50 in built-up areas. But as you say, none of this was on the 50 test questions. I guess it was not considered that important. I did feel sorry for all those sitting the exam for whom English was a second language. Many failed and have to re-take the exam. Having to score 90% to pass when so many of the questions were really quite silly. I shake my head.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ulic said:

I just sat the e-exam yesterday. Somehow through the poor English translation and multiple correct answer possibilities, I scored a 50 out of 50. The examiner was so impressed he announced it to the candidates still sitting the exam. As for the maximum speed limits in Thailand. I have no official idea but what has been posted does make sense. 120 expressways, 90 highways, 80 on divided highways like Sukhumvit in Pattaya, 50 in built-up areas. But as you say, none of this was on the 50 test questions. I guess it was not considered that important. I did feel sorry for all those sitting the exam for whom English was a second language. Many failed and have to re-take the exam. Having to score 90% to pass when so many of the questions were really quite silly. I shake my head.

I also got so the questions right and the lady thought it was amazing... 

Strange thing was, sometimes i got the exact same question more than once in the 50... 

15 hours ago, kenk24 said:

until you get a ticket in the mail...

Thais are saying so what,  reported in Bangkok Post, there are 1 million outstanding tickets? 

Did you see the story just the other day, a Thai owner got a ticket for changing lanes, her vehicle broke down and was on the back of a flatbed towing it.

Big Joke himself is getting a big laugh matter of time he becomes big traffic cop then we will find out how tough and good he is tackling an impossible job if given to a Thai to fix.

This is a classic example of when speaking Thai is not much use. Bring this and all the Motoring Laws up in conversation, and all you get is Ferangs Crazy about laws, worry too much. They realy think were thick bothering. Even those polite enough to listen are relieved when U shut up.!!. Im tending to agree of late.