Train from Suvarnabhumi to Bangkok?

coralia

I would very much appreciate any information/advice on the Airport Rail Link. For the past few years I have been travelling to Thailand with an elderly person in a wheelchair and we always ended up taking an expensive airport limousine... I am now coming alone and I would prefer to save money if possible. Thank you very much in advance!

How often does the train go? How long does the journey take? Are the trains usually crowded?... I need to get to Chong Nonsi BTS station in Bangkok. I have read that the airport train goes to Makkasan - I have never been there. Is there a BTS station there?... Thank you.

To the OP: Yes, you can change to the BTS Skytrain at Makkasan. Getting off, walk back towards the airport, and exit at the east end of the station. Use the elevated, covered walkway cross Asoke Road, and go down into the MRT (subway) station.  Ride the MRT one station south to the MRT/BTS interchange station which is called "Sukhumwit" by the MRT and "Asoke" by the BTS.

As an alternative, you can ride the Airport Link train to its terminus at Phayathai BTS Station, and change to the BTS station there.

I am confused about all this Makkasan thing... I don't know where Makkasan is and I don't want to get off there. Does the Airport Link take me all the way to Phayathai BTS Station, where I can change trains and go to Chong Nonsi? Without changing at Makkasan?....

Thank you all.

On 11/9/2018 at 10:42 PM, coralia said:

I am confused about all this Makkasan thing... I don't know where Makkasan is and I don't want to get off there. Does the Airport Link take me all the way to Phayathai BTS Station, where I can change trains and go to Chong Nonsi? Without changing at Makkasan?....

Thank you all.

Yes.  You can take the Airport Link from the airport straight to Phaya Thai.  From there you can get the BTS to Chong Nonsi although you will need to change lines at Siam station.

From Phaya Thai go two stops to Siam.  Change to the Silom line and take a train bound for Bang Wa.  It is three stops to Chong Nonsi.  Very simple.

Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 11.29.59 PM.png

Here are my thoughts about the ARL. I roll off a plane after 24 hours of traveling from the US, crammed into a flying petri dish, eating meh food (i usually fly Korea Air now), stinky, constipated, smelly, pissed off from the line at customs, hauling a bag, the last thing I want to do is wend my way to a train crammed with Chinese, then stand probably the entire way with my face stuffed in someones dandruff if its the wrong time of day, all the way to Phaya Thai, then switch off to Sukhhamvit Line hauling bags, then switch in the nightmare of Siam hauling bags to get to Chong Nonsi and then haul a bag to a hotel to save 250 baht ($8).

Clear customs, take a dump, grab a cab for 350b and relax.

If you do take the ARL, my advice is change at Makkasan and ride the MRT to SalaDaeng/Silom and take a cab from there. Or hump your bags up to the BTS for a one stop ride.

Take a cab you will thank me.

7 minutes ago, fanjita said:

Take a limo to dispense with the ambiguity of taking a meter.  Slightly more expensive but you will thank me later.

Meter is the meter. If you get them from the queue, there are no problems. Its 32 klicks down the Srirat plus tolls or 39 klicks down the Chonburi without tolls. Map it on google when he arrives, see where the traffic sucks, and make driver take the appropriate way "Toll OK Khap" "No Toll Khap". 40 klicks about 275B plus the airport 50. Tolls 70B? I dont remember, but my records show my last airport trip to Rama 4, Soi 42 was 320 total with two tolls and airport fee. Less than $10. LImo costs 3x that. Granted I roll in at 11 pm so traffic wasnt bad until I got to Phra Khanong.

My first question would be how much luggage have you got. Do you really want to be dragging it around. The train from the airport will be packed. If you get a seat you will be lucky. Which ever way you transfer, the BTS or MTR the train will be packed. As a previous poster said treat yourself to a no hassle arrival by car

Archived