Thailand’s English proficiency is getting worse: study

rooster59

NoMeames you have stated most of the problems. The secret is CONFIDENCE start on very easy subjects sport, cooking and all simple articles they are conversant with. All children are clever but clever in different ways "The Teacher must teach to the students Strengths , this will do 2 things 1) it will expose their weaknesses to you @ 2) you can expose theirs strengths where confidence can grow. I use the oxford dictionary. Let them finds words they know, then introduce them to the dictionary ,that word can have 6 different meanings then do the same with these 6 words then they know the meaning of 36 words. I am not a teacher but an Educator I have never been to university just self taught from the tough side of the street. The biggest obstacle Thais have of learning is they are frightened of making a mistake. The man who hasn't made a mistake has never made anything. 

The elites want it this way, with the majority of Thais illiterate in English.   The last thing the top 1% want are the lower class masses being able to communicate with the outside World or read the uncensored media from other nations which is readily available online but cannot be read by most Thais.  Xenophobia and a lack of English skills helps keep the masses under control.

The ridiculous requirements now for foreign teachers are not aimed at even assuring competent foreign teachers, they're obviously intended to eliminate them except in the elite international schools of Bangkok. If this had been intended to increase the quality of teachers, the pay levels would have been increased and subsidized along with the increased requirements.  No one with a real teaching credential and a degree in early childhood education is going to work for 30,000 Baht a month and they know it. 

Now they can go on having Thais who cannot conduct a conversation in English teaching grammar to Thai students before the language itself, which is  lot like teaching the procedure for emergency decompression to someone who is not a pilot.  

Edited by Robins
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Robins said:

If this had been intended to increase the quality of teachers, the pay levels would have been increased and subsidized along with the increased requirements.  No one with a real teaching credential and a degree in early childhood education is going to work for 30,000 Baht a month and they know it.

More money doesn't necessarily equate to better teachers, whether foreign or domestic.  I mean just look at the size of the education budget now.

I still stand by my earlier statement that children simply need exposure to the language from a sufficiently early age, and it doesn't have to be exposure to teachers.  I was functionally fluent in English at the age of five when I started first grade, and had never been exposed to any teachers.  It's a travesty that in a country with so many English-speaking retirees, the government can figure out some way to get pre-school kids exposed to them.

• Thanks 1

The PM should be very happy with that outcome. After all it was he who told schoolchildren that one day the Thai language could become the international language of the world.
Maybe his influence on impressionable school children has created this outcome and they no longer believe it is important to learn English.

He really said that? Oh my giddy aunt. Really?

57 minutes ago, Bournville said:
On 11/2/2018 at 10:45 PM, Cadbury said:
The PM should be very happy with that outcome. After all it was he who told schoolchildren that one day the Thai language could become the international language of the world.
Maybe his influence on impressionable school children has created this outcome and they no longer believe it is important to learn English.

He really said that? Oh my giddy aunt. Really?

Its sad, but Yes he did. 

A classic roll of the eyes, take a deep breath and hit the Thai 'suspend disbelief' button moment...

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/prayuth-thai-will-become-world-language/

Edited by GinBoy2

3 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Its sad, but Yes he did. 

A classic roll of the eyes, take a deep breath and hit the Thai 'suspend disbelief' button moment...

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/prayuth-thai-will-become-world-language/

Most are entirely detached from reality. The more one gets to know them and the more Thai one speaks and understands, the more in disbelief one will be. 

They are in a different universe. 

• Like 1

Attravant, Bournville ,Gin Boy2 and Fex Bluse Empty Vessels make the Most Noise that is what we are hearing. The First Step should be Common Sense and Listening to People Who have Been there Done That. These Supposedly Elicit bunch of Buffaloes should be tested in English to Test their own Education level. They can"t even find out where the Expensive watches appeared from, Dead people do not tell lies but originally did have a name. Somebody must have a list of these deceased rich men who loaned the watches .