Unwanted foreigners -or simply underfunded?

Scouse123

26 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

I’m late to this thread but I would say this change was also pushed by Thai Immigration as they see a future wave of Chinese armed with a Income Affidavit from the Chinese Embassy wanting to come “retire” here...

Scary thought;  but good business for condo renters until the Chinese run out of money.

Just now, The Deerhunter said:

Scary thought;  but good business for condo renters until the Chinese run out of money.

Thais hate the Chinese and are grinding there teeth to remove the current administration and l can still receive a affidavits and proof of my income. So they can try all they want. 

Prayut won't win the election 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Media1 said:

Thais hate the Chinese and are grinding there teeth to remove the current administration and l can still receive a affidavits and proof of my income. So they can try all they want. 

There are spellcheckers available online. I suggest you use one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Media1 said:

The proof of that pudding will be in the eating...... If those who win are not denied the right to eat their pudding.  Could happen to, let's see............. well at least one party, Chiang Mai based, I believe.

2 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

Dont lose sight of the fact that it is the home embassies that have changed the rules here, not The Thai Immigration. 

Where is that info from?  I think it's already been ascertained that the embassies had to withdraw their letters because the Thai authorities required confirmation of income.  No embassy can do this.  They had no choice.

• Like 2

Well, put it's this way. I brought two girls through university. One the daughter of my GF I'm together for more than ten years. The other, and she's the smart one, was raised by the mother in law. Both are taking very well care nowadays of either the GF or the MiL. I think it was money well spent. I recon if I'm out here they will survive.

For me, the money is far from the concern.....just see the writing on the wall......more requirements than common sense....lol.....will just move to another spot on the map and be happy that I did....the shine went off of the apple a long time ago here in LOS.....one just has to have the courage and balls to man up and get the heck out....woo, woo.....????????????

6 hours ago, HHTel said:

Where is that info from?  I think it's already been ascertained that the embassies had to withdraw their letters because the Thai authorities required confirmation of income.  No embassy can do this.  They had no choice.

That is correct.

A little bit of obfuscation-blame the embassies-goes a very long way in Wonderland.

• Like 2

Either put up a link for credibility from TI or go away. Maybe you are to old and missed how social media works

Basically either you put up a link or it didn't happen.

Your link please

On 11/4/2018 at 4:34 PM, worgeordie said:

The shit will hit the really hit the fan,if the Government decides

to uplift the requirements as regards having money in the bank,

to say 1 Million married,1.5 Retired (I have never understood how

if your married,wife to look after,maybe kids) its 400,00,but if

single and retired its 800,000 THB, more of that Thai logic.

getting back to when /if they lift the requirements,another 20 % ?

packing their bags,booking flights ?, leaving on a jet plane.

regards worgeordie

I have always assumed the differential is due to the fact that many Thai women will work, and also know how to minimize expenses. Also, if you are married to a Thai lady, then you needn't budget for entertainment on Walking Street, eh?????

On 11/4/2018 at 4:34 PM, worgeordie said:

(I have never understood how if your married, wife to look after, maybe kids) its 400,00,but if single and retired its 800,000 THB, more of that Thai logic.

I have never understood the placement of your parentheses. You don't understand the difference between a long term tourist and a foreign member of a Thai family. The Thais do, they have the right logic with this regard.

Edited by KiChakayan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

I have never understood the placement of your parentheses. You don't understand the difference between a long term tourist and a foreign member of a Thai family. The Thais do, they have the right logic with this regard.

Are you sure about that last sentence. When I was married to a Thai Nurse and on the 400k system it was THAI IMMIGRATION who suggested to me that I switch to the retirement 800k system (having got the necessary funds). Now divorced, I am of course, glad they did. Having said that, perhaps helping a Thai family and money in the bank, I guess they see Thailand benefiting both ways, Ha!????

11 hours ago, HHTel said:

If you are right, I missed that part.  Thanks.   In which case we can expect many more when they realise.

Edited by The Deerhunter

18 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

If you are right, I missed that part.  Thanks.   In which case we can expect many more when they realise.

3 embassies announced stopping letters. 74 didn't... :unsure:

Edited by Pattaya46

14 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

But right at the time of life that these people are most at likelihood of needing more and more medical services they have left their home country and are paying for it overseas. They also do not occupy a house, drive on the roads, use electricity or imported fuel or any special senior services in their home country.  Many countries could cost it out that it is better for them to have us overseas.  They should raise your pension if you move overseas!!!

Not so easy...

First, there is the one way flow of currencies out of the countries.

That may not seem much, but if you consider 2 million retirees migrating abroad with an average pension of 2,000 euros, we are talking about 4 billion euros leaving the country every month, or almost 50 billions for the whole year...not small potatoes....

As for the medical services, don't dream!

As soon as they get something serious they fly back home direct to their hospital paid by their social security.

Meanwhile, in big and expensive European cities, retirees are the only ones who can buy real estate cash, generally after selling the home they paid during their working life.

Younger people, even with good jobs, have not the means to buy mid-range properties at rates between 8,000 and 12,000 euros per sqm.

In Paris, a great deal of the mid-level transactions are made between retirees, the top being as usual the domain of Qataris and other middles Eastern potentates.

All in all, there is little incentive to let retirees move abroad, except maybe for those who are in the very low pension category, who will provide very little to the country, and may end up asking for public assistance.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

// but if you consider 2 million retirees migrating abroad  … //

And why not 20 millions ?? :whistling:

From data we have (mainly Wikipedia and Embassies' stats)

number of retirees in Thailand not even reaches 100'000.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

And why not 20 millions ?? :whistling:

From data we have (mainly Wikipedia and Embassies' stats)

number of retirees in Thailand not even reaches 100'000.

I was not considering only Thailand, which is still a small player in the game of European retirees migrations.

There are many more Europeans retiring in countries closer to their culture, such as Spain, Portugal or even Morocco, around the Mediteranean sea.

Many move to the Caribbeans, some in South America.

And in South East Asia, it is not only Thailand, but also Cambodia, Vietnam, the Philippines, Indonesia...

1 hour ago, Pattaya46 said:

3 embassies announced stopping letters. 74 didn't... :unsure:

3 so far!  Several reports from visits to immigration (including mine) have been told that after January, not counting the validity of letters issued this year, NO embassy letters will be accepted.  I accept that there has been no official line in writing but "no smoke without fire!"

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TKDfella said:

Are you sure about that last sentence. When I was married to a Thai Nurse and on the 400k system it was THAI IMMIGRATION who suggested to me that I switch to the retirement 800k system (having got the necessary funds). Now divorced, I am of course, glad they did. Having said that, perhaps helping a Thai family and money in the bank, I guess they see Thailand benefiting both ways, Ha!????

Lazy immigration officers tend to suggest to use the retirement extension instead of the marriage route  when they believe that you have the means to do so. However, you make a confusion between those who have designed the Thai visa structure and their underlings enforcing it in the offices. Also, I have been with my wife for 10 years, we have two great daughters, and we are happy together. The 400 000 Bahts or not are just irrelevant; I guess their sole purpose is to ensure we have some funds if things went wrong in our relationship. As far as I am concerned, in such unlikely event I'd just go, the family is the only thing that keeps me here. Unlike many who seem to think: "rats I can get the right money, let's get some wife"; I hate them.

3 hours ago, Brunolem said:

I was not considering only Thailand, which is still a small player in the game of European retirees migrations.

There are many more Europeans retiring in countries closer to their culture, such as Spain, Portugal or even Morocco, around the Mediteranean sea.

Many move to the Caribbeans, some in South America.

And in South East Asia, it is not only Thailand, but also Cambodia, Vietnam, the Philippines, Indonesia...

I agree with you.

Also, as we age and medical insurance becomes a major factor and bar girls ( for those who grow up ) becomes less important, then I am sure many from Europe will like the climate and pace of life in such as Spain, Portugal, parts of Italy, and even other places such as Croatia or the Czech Republic, which are very affordable. All of a sudden, healthcare goes way up the list in many peoples thinking.

Not too far from their homes in Europe, quite good and affordable health care, with a flight back home in easy reach for those who have kept a home base in their native country.

In South East Asia, I would definitely opt for Vietnam after Thailand. I, like many others, stay here because I have roots here and family ties. I am no shrinking violet, and if push came to shove, I will uproot as many have before me.

if that bubble bursts with the Thai connections and family and heads South, then so will I.

Edited by Scouse123