Banner at local wat

luther

Last year I rode my bicycle past the local wat and saw a banner of a scorpion. Having a scientist friend who is kind of an expert on scorpions, I thought it would be a good gift, but didn't pursue it. Cycling recently out towards Doi Suket, I saw the same banner again outside another wat and asked a Thai friend about it. She explained what it meant and when it is hung.

Question: Is in inappropriate to try and get one? If not, where would I go looking?

At wat jed yot i recently noted many dozens of clay/cement/ceramic cobra snakes all snarly and toothy, ranging in size from palm of hand to 3 men carry.

I've also seen one or two wats with sizable rooster displays. Big and small cocks lined up on the wall and painted yellow black and red.  Big cement painted bunny rabbits are seen too at some wats.

Are these animals part of the thai zodiac, or what?  No, these painted statues only help us remember and give thanks for all the lovely stories of buddha addressing the animals. So to recall the stories and messages we place in the wats 'icons of memory'.  The Buddha tells us to love the dumb animals for some day we might be one.  Thus, compassion grows in our hearts.

I

11 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

Are these animals part of the thai zodiac, or what?  No, these painted statues only help us remember and give thanks for all the lovely stories of buddha addressing the animals. So to recall the stories and messages we place in the wats 'icons of memory'.  The Buddha tells us to love the dumb animals for some day we might be one.  Thus, compassion grows in our hearts.

Thanks...as I guess I always thought that the animal statues related more to the Chinese zodiac animals; however, I'm not sure that Buddha preached to this particular dude in the garden at Wat Bupparam on Thaphae Road....

TheDonald.jpg

4 minutes ago, CMBob said:

I

Thanks...as I guess I always thought that the animal statues related more to the Chinese zodiac animals; however, I'm not sure that Buddha preached to this particular dude in the garden at Wat Bupparam on Thaphae Road....

TheDonald.jpg

He did: Ducka, Ducka, Ducka