Trump, Obama tout clashing visions of U.S. as elections near

webfact

21 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

Given the political divide in America, everyone has an opinion about how wrong the other side is, and they're right. Never imagining that their side is also wrong. It's a manufactured divide IMO; paid for by monied interests that fuel the division in exchange for a quantifiable voting block that will give them access to the US treasury.

Wrong. It was started by Newt Gingrich in 1979. At that time there were multiple bipartisan committees in the House. He succeeded in destroying them all for the sake of GOP domination. True evil. An anything goes mentality. Trump hired this hooligan to coach him. The devastation continues. Tuesday will change some of that, hopefully. The world hopes it will be the remaining 26 months for a lame duck, then prison, which is where Trump belongs after a lifetime of crime. 

I was never a fan of Obama. How I miss him now. I miss the presence of dignity over a rabid dog. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Wrong. It was started by Newt Gingrich in 1979. At that time there were multiple bipartisan committees in the House. He succeeded in destroying them all for the sake of GOP domination. True evil. An anything goes mentality. Trump hired this hooligan to coach him. The devastation continues. Tuesday will change some of that, hopefully. The world hopes it will be the remaining 26 months for a lame duck, then prison, which is where Trump belongs after a lifetime of crime. 

I was never a fan of Obama. How I miss him now. I miss the presence of dignity over a rabid dog. 

What is "wrong"? I never claimed it started at any given time. Also, the GOPhas been far from dominant in elections for national offices. States, yeah, they've eviscerated the Democrats there in governorships and legislatures.

Anyhow, I was a fan of Obama, the man, not president. I don't like Trump, the man, oras president. That said, I don't find likeability a particularly important aspect of a president's effectiveness. I loathed Nixon for instance, but he accomplished more in his presidency than all subsequent presidents combined.

Edited by lannarebirth

3 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Terms like "evil", "hooligan", "crime", "rabid dog" sure do a lot to bridge the gap between the 63 million who voted for President Trump and those who didnt. ????????????????

Seems that most of the invective flows towards the President rather than from him. But thats politically correct invective, thats OK. He deserves "prison" after a "lifetime of crime", but "Lock her Up"....thats horrific! Deplorable.

I don't recall you having much issues with such rhetoric when it comes from the right, or from Trump himself. Somehow, in your paradigm, bridging gaps is something that's solely the other side's responsibility.

As for the latter part of your post, no. Trump (and hence his campaign and supporters) engages in such incessantly, deny it to your little heart's content. And, of course, Trump is the President - not a private citizen.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Morch said:

As for the latter part of your post, no. Trump (and hence his campaign and supporters) engages in such incessantly, deny it to your little heart's content. And, of course, Trump is the President - not a private citizen.

Invective is invective, hypocrisy is hypocrisy. The point, as you ignore "to your little hearts content" , (notice the invective, the tenor?) is that one side shouldnt get a pass. Perfect example: compare the media frenzy over a bunch of hardly working mail bombs, to the quietude over shooting a bunch of Repubs.  Its OK for President Obama to associate with Farrakan, suck up to Iran and give Israel a hard time, but when President Trump moves the Embassy to Israel, has Jewsih Grandchildren, is embraced by the Israelis, he is an anti semite when some nut job shoots up a synagogue. President Obama can lie about healthcare and not a peep, every word of Trump is scrutinized. Trump can screech "lock her up", Obama tried to lock folks up.

You might say that there are a whole bunch of us Americans who are disgusted by President Trumps antics, but are more disgusted by the reactions to it. Im a firm believer in let ye who is without sin cast the first stone, and I see very little of that these days. The American people rejected a continuation of the politics of Obama and he should just shut up and stay home, especially because of his own political sins. Lois Lerner. Fast and Furious. Farrakhan (hidden by the way). James Rosen. Carter Page (possibly the single most disturbing incident in American politics I have ever seen) and the list goes on.  You don't toss mud with mud on your own hands.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Srinivas said:

Obama did not rescue us, he along with bush bailed out the ridiculous lending institutions that blew the gigantic bubble in the first place.

We will pay for thid with a devalued currency and or high inflation for years to come. Notice why people on fixed income, retirees are at a loss where to put their savings? 

16 trillion  to bail out every financial institution and their investors. Plus the quantitative easing so who knows what the tally is today. aka kicking the can down the road.

probably gonna blow up on Trumps watch. can blame it all

on him. reset.

Well, you right wingers have been predicting inflation for a long time now.

But what's really bizarre is that you apparently have no problem with Trump's tax cuts and huge increase in deficit spending when demand is high. Now that is a recipe for inflation.

Clearly your views on the economy are incoherent.

10 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Well, you right wingers have been predicting inflation for a long time now.

But what's really bizarre is that you apparently have no problem with Trump's tax cuts and huge increase in deficit spending when demand is high. Now that is a recipe for inflation.

Clearly your views on the economy are incoherent.

they should have let it crash 2008. we could have restructured after.

Trump is making same mistake kicking the can down the road.

Same for rest of the kenysian run planet.

empire of debt with no way out.

Edited by Srinivas
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Srinivas said:

they should have let it crash 2008. we could have restructured after.

Trump is making same mistake kicking the can down the road.

Same for rest of the kenysian run planet.

empire of debt with no way out.

you mean like Herbert Hoover did?

And you haven't explained how it is that you could possibly support someone who economic program is much more likely to cause inflation.

And by the way, increasing the deficit when economic demand is strong is exactly the opposite of Keynesianism. I think it's called Republicanism or hypocrisy.

Edited by bristolboy

1 minute ago, bristolboy said:

you mean like Herbert Hoover did?

And you haven't explained how it is that you could possibly support someone who economic program is much more likely to cause inflation.

Keynes is the only game

in town  after this little nugget of truth from gwb. 

we can argue on what should be could be and would be another time. Hoover too.

go to run for now.

13 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Terms like "evil", "hooligan", "crime", "rabid dog" sure do a lot to bridge the gap between the 63 million who voted for President Trump and those who didnt. ????????????????

Seems that most of the invective flows towards the President rather than from him. But thats politically correct invective, thats OK. He deserves "prison" after a "lifetime of crime", but "Lock her Up"....thats horrific! Deplorable.

Being the lesser of two terrible choices is not quite the mandate Tiny Don has interpreted it as. If Hillary had avoided even a simple mistake like the statement about the deplorables, that would have been 3 million more votes and the election right there. If the DNC had not screwed up so badly by scorning Bernie that might have been the election, since more of his supporters would have been willing to vote for Hillary, despite how toxic she was. Trump needs to be stopped. His foul reign must end before he bankrupts the nation. He is spending like a reckless Dem. The deficit is ballooning under his lack of leadership. 

Hopefully the nation will regain it's senses tomorrow. Lame Duck Don. 

Edited by spidermike007

14 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Being the lesser of two terrible choices is not quite the mandate Tiny Don has interpreted it as. If Hillary had avoided even a simple mistake like the statement about the deplorables, that would have been 3 million more votes and the election right there. If the DNC had not screwed up so badly by scorning Bernie that might have been the election, since more of his supporters would have been willing to vote for Hillary, despite how toxic she was. Trump needs to be stopped. His foul reign must end before he bankrupts the nation. He is spending like a reckless Dem. The deficit is ballooning under his lack of leadership. 

Hopefully the nation will regain it's senses tomorrow. Lame Duck Don. 

"Tiny" Don. Yep. See what I mean.

If Hillary, if Hillary if Hillary had done this or that. Equally as plausible is the fact that the people were not satified and were looking for a change.

'Foul" reign. See what I mean.

Spending is only bad when Repubs do it. But hey, lets have free college tuition and medicaid for all.

If the Dems flip the House, oh well, tells us nothing. Thats what happens in off years. If they dont?

13 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

If Hillary, if Hillary if Hillary had done this or that. Equally as plausible is the fact that the people were not satified and were looking for a change.

Spending is only bad when Repubs do it. But hey, lets have free college tuition and medicaid for all.

If the Dems flip the House, oh well, tells us nothing. Thats what happens in off years. If they dont?

If the Republicans were willing to fund their spending with tax revenues, no problem. Instead they cut taxes and increased expenditure. But it just shows the enormous hypocrisy of the Republicans that in the wake of the Great Recession they refused to support stimulus because "deficits bad" but now when there's strong demand "deficits good."

13 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

If the Republicans were willing to fund their spending with tax revenues, no problem. Instead they cut taxes and increased expenditure. But it just shows the enormous hypocrisy of the Republicans that in the wake of the Great Recession they refused to support stimulus because "deficits bad" but now when there's strong demand "deficits good."

No they do it in a controlled ways to stimulate the economy which is exactly what is happening!

31 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Elected president Trump will never be a lame duck as he will simply use his right on issuing executive orders that suit our needs. And now with control over the Supreme Court well let’s wait and see I would celebrate the Dems winning just yet!

23 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Wow how partisan.

2 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

If an economy is healthy, why does it need increased government intervention?

There is always intervention so Trump is using the tax code to target those most in need !

God bless you President Trump!

8 minutes ago, Patriot1066 said:

Elected president Trump will never be a lame duck as he will simply use his right on issuing executive orders that suit our needs. And now with control over the Supreme Court well let’s wait and see I would celebrate the Dems winning just yet!

How true he never will be a lame duck!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Patriot1066 said:

Cutting taxes reduces government intervention. A cut reduces, not increases.

No, government intervention in the economy is ultimately defined by how much it spends vs. how much revenue it takes in. Tax cuts are just as much an intervention as tax increases. Particularly when the cuts subsidize certain industries over others. You know, like the massive subsidies given to real estate interests and pass through partnerships in the last tax bill.

On 11/5/2018 at 4:24 PM, dunroaming said:

The American economy is doing well, very well!  You would think that Trump would use that as his rallying call for the Primaries.  Instead he focusses on sending troops to the border, "beautiful barbed wire" and his stupid wall.

Clearly this is what he believes will appeal to his core supporters and of course it will.  Just how successful this line is will be interesting to see.  Time for the USA voters to show their true colours (colors).

The colour will probably be orange.

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The deflector in chief never fails to throw out an insult when someone says something that is not complimentary about him, or derogatory towards him. He is incapable of not responding. The term water off a ducks back is exactly how he should respond to criticism, but due to his self loathing (deflected by a lot of hot air) he cannot let anything go. He is the very definition of undignified and classless. 

And yes, the president should be held to a higher standard than a citizen. Yet his devotees continue to give him one free pass after another. Even the so called "religious" right. Talk about selling your soul for a political agenda. 

He’s should be just as is say what he thinks it’s great an honest person in the White House