Advice- how much to put aside for self health insurance?

peterb17

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

It does vary greatly depending on the hospital and also the severity of the patient's condition.

Non-emergency outpatient visits at higher level govt hospitals typically involve an all day wait through the public channel, couple of hours waits through after hours clinics.(I am sitting in one right now)

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes have been to CCIT this morning ...extra clinic. Did not have an appointment so knew would be about last to be seen. Get there before 10am and you will see the doctor.

The nurse arranged EKG and Chest Xray before seeing Dr.

Saw who is reputed to be one of the three best heart guys in Thailand before 12:30. Spent at least 15 minutes with him reviewing treadmills, blood tests etc...he put me a stent in LAD in 2014. 

He did not recommend angiogram but said if you have concerns do CT but keep swimming every day and playing golf ... said getting well into stage 4 on treadmill for you at 73 years old is okay ...

Wait is two months doing CT coronary in extra clinic ... much much longer if you don't use extra clinic ... cost today 810thb....

On 11/9/2018 at 11:25 AM, Sheryl said:

public = government

Hospitals  - public or private  - do not provide insurance.  You get that from an insurance company, either directly or through a broker.  Costs the same but broker will help provide options and also help later if any issues with claims.

There are internationally based countries that issue expat policies to people aged over 70.

Suggest you contact AA brokers  www.aainsure.net

Sheryl, I thank you for the link. I got info from the AA brokers (a lot to read). The unfortunate part is that although the insurance company quoted by AA was cheaper than others I had sought, the premiums are still beyond my finances. Having said that, I am not likely to be a usual case since I do not receive a full gov. pension (I took early retirement when I came to Thailand) nor do I receive a full company pension having taken a partial lump sum (also considering the lower rate of exchange caused by the Brexit situation). So I would advise any expat over 70 years old and without health coverage receiving full pensions or financially very comfortable, to look up AA. Once again, many thanks...much appreciated.

• Like 1

can anyone give me some advice as to health insurance for a 71 year old,i am in the best of health go to the gym, its a shame they put people in age boxes, no one can guess my real age ha ha, but that cuts no ice, i have an address in the UK (to all intents and purposes i live with my daughter)  NOT, all my 5 pensions etc info goes to her address

can anyone give me some advice as to health insurance for a 71 year old,i am in the best of health go to the gym, its a shame they put people in age boxes, no one can guess my real age ha ha, but that cuts no ice, i have an address in the UK (to all intents and purposes i live with my daughter)  NOT, all my 5 pensions etc info goes to her address
As has been said several times you should contact a broker. There are UK and EU based companies that issue expat policies to people your age and even older. Cigna and April International come to mind, April less expensive but covers you only in Thailand plus emergencies while traveling whereas Cigna covers worldwide except US. There may be others as well.

If you can afford to put aside some funds to cover an excess (and replenish it as used) that will lower premiums.

www.aainsure.net
Offices in Pattaya, Phuket and Hua Hin otherwise can work with them via email. They will provide detailed info on options and also help later if any issues re claims.

17 hours ago, Sheryl said:

If the premiums are beyond your means then unfortunately so also is self financing health care.

What are you going to do if/when urgently needing a million baht++ worth of treatment and not fit to fly home for it?

Did you look at deductible options? These lower premiums.

Yes, in fact I only considered the deductible options and used the annual payments for my reckoning. Believe me, health care is foremost on my mind and I haven't completely walked away from the offered plans. There are a couple of questions that I will ask the AA agent (through skype) next week. Once again, I will let you know as any advice I obtain might be useful information to you also (should any other expats need advice.)

• 1 month later...
On 11/7/2018 at 11:56 AM, GarryP said:

I am currently registered with Kluaynamthai Hospital. However, I want to change that to a government hospital as they have a better referral system and some have highly recommended doctors. I can file to change hospitals at the beginning of the year but have been told it is very difficult to get in at Chulalongkorn, the Police Hospital or Ramathibhodi as their SS patient lists are already full. In order to have any chance of getting into one of these it was recommended that I visit the local SS office within the first two weeks of January to submit my request to change. If there is a space available, I will be given it then and there.  Anyway, if I can't change it in Jan 2019, I still have 3 or 4 more Januarys to try before I retire. 

On 11/7/2018 at 12:14 PM, Sheryl said:

Yes, do try to change. Your current hospital is shall we say less than  optimal.  Go as early as you possibly can and even if you can't change now get on wait lists (if possible for all3, otherwise whichever of the 3 has the shorter wait list - all 3 are good).

I went down to the Social Security Office this morning to try to change where I am registered. Unfortunately, Chulalongkorn, the Police Hospital or Ramathibhodi are still full and they told me straight out that there is no waiting list as such. You have to simply list 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice and they will register you at the one with an opening. I asked about people leaving Chula as they retire up country, stop paying in or die, and the officer responded that at the moment Chula is not accepting any new people to fill in such gaps. I will just have to go again next year. You can move once a year and must register the move before the end of March, except in the case of moving home of work.  

Anyway, this time around I registered with Huachiew Hospital as at least it is rated higher than Kluaynamthai. 

4 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Anyway, this time around I registered with Huachiew Hospital as at least it is rated higher than Kluaynamthai. 

Yes, it is definitely the better of the two.

Were these the only 2 choices?

If you get a serious illness it could cost 500,000 for the medication. Hospital stay depends on what type/style of room you want or what hospital you wish to stay in.

If self insuring do the hospital stay cost research before you need to go there.

If in BKK there are teaching hospitals where operations are cheaper. etc... triple bypass 180,000. but that was 5 years ago and not me.

Edited by VocalNeal

44 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Yes, it is definitely the better of the two.

Were these the only 2 choices?

No, there were other choices listed. I have been unable to find a list in English so forgive the mistakes in translation/transliteration. Below is the SSO list for Bangkok and their status: 

1. Klang Hospital

2. Kluaynamthai Hospital

3. Kasemraj Hospital Bang Kae

4. Kasemraj Hospital Ramkamhaeng

5. Kasemraj Hospital Prachacheun

6. Vajira Hospital (Full)

7. Chulalongkorn Hospital (Full)

8. Charoenkrung Pracharak Hospital (Full)

9. Taksin Hospital

10. Nawamint Hospital

11. Nawamint 9 Hospital

12. Bangna 1 Hospital

13. Bangpakok 8 Hospital

14. Bangmod Hospital

15. Bangpai Hospital

16. B-Care Medical Center

17. Prachapat Hospital

18. Paolo Kaset Hospital

19. Paolo Chokchai 4 Hospital

20. Pramongkutklao Hospital (Full) Military Hospital

21. Praram 2 Hospital

22. Petchkasem 2 Hospital

23. Petcharavej Hospital

24. Dr. Panya General Hospital

25. Bhumibol Adulydej Hospital (Full) RTAF Hospital

26. Monkutwattana Hospital

27. Mission Hospital

28. Mahaesak Hospital

29. Ratchphiphat Hospital

30. Rajavithi Hospital (Full)

31. Ramathibodi Hospital (Full)

32. Rajburana Hospital

33. Ladprao Hospital (Full)

34. Lertsin Hospital

35. Vibharam Hospital (Full)

36. Wechkarunrat Hospital 

37. Sikarin Hospital (Full)

38. Nopparat Rajathanee Hospital 

39. Sirirat Hospital (Full) 

40. Somdej Prapinklao Hospital (Full) 

41. Sai Mai Hospital

42. Sirinthorn Hospital

43. Suksawat Hospital

44. Luang Por Thaweesak Chutinataro Utit Hospital

45. Huachiew Hospital.

That took longer than expected but I hope it is of some use. 

Thanks.

Mission would be an excellent choice. It's a non-profit private hospital. It has one of the few Western doctors licensed in Thailand there, a GP named Nick Walters. It's located near Rachadamnoen.

Lerdsin is also good. it's a 500+bed government teaching hospital.Particularly noted for a good orthopedic service but has all the other specialties as well. Located near Taksin per/Silom.