Bid to declare Siamese fighting fish ‘national fish’

webfact

Bid to declare Siamese fighting fish ‘national fish’

By The Nation

sff.jpg

FILE photo

The Fishery Department has proposed that Siamese fighting fish be declared the national fish, Agriculture Minister Krissada Boonraj said on Tuesday.

The department reasoned that Siamese fighting fish originated in Thailand, has a unique identity and Thais are very attached to it, raising the species for sport and for recreation.

Krissada said the National Identity Office would gather opinions from all sides before sending the proposal to the Cabinet Secretariat for consideration of the Cabinet.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30357975

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-11-06

2 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

A bit like all the Thai boys round here who breed cocks (chickens not penisies) to fight. And yet they will not kill a feral dog. T I T.

Or that Thaiboxing is the national sport (for a budhist country).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Thais are very attached to it, raising the species for sport and for recreation.

Sport and recreation, namely gambling. Let's make it the national fish whilst we fine those we catch gambling on which fish kills the other. ????

I would be interested to know if any TV posters have a "National fish" in the countries they come from ? .Unfortunately we don't have one in the UK ,although I may nominate a Sea Bass as our National fish

2 hours ago, Dave67 said:

I would be interested to know if any TV posters have a "National fish" in the countries they come from ? .Unfortunately we don't have one in the UK ,although I may nominate a Sea Bass as our National fish

I guess a 'plaice' will be the best you'll be able to afford after 'brexit'...

• Haha 1

'...Thai...national...', '...national...Thai...', ... has the fascist dictator Songhkram come back from the dead or what?

He invented that 'Thai' stuff in the 1930s for all the wrong reasons: to strenghten his grip over Siam, he needed to unite the (dispersed) Siamese masses around a new, strongly nationalistic, though totally fake, concept: Thai/Thailand/Thainess. ...A same kind of stuff as what his idols Adolf and Benito created in Europe, with the well known consequences (not speaking here about what he did with/for the Japanese...).

In the other paper today it's the Min. of Culture about 'authentic'(LOL) 'Thai' cuisine... Even without Phibun, military dictatorship seems to have no shame to show its ugly face openly.

What has happened to 'the free' in this 'land' of theirs, when there were any? Hmm ...?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jaiyen said:

And Thai people will rush out to buy them as pets and when they start killing each other they will dump them in the nearest klong or river and then they will kill all the resident fish. 

This species is native to the Mekong basin of Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam and mostly found at Chao Phraya river in Thailand. The fish can be found in standing waters of canals, rice paddies and floodplains.[2] It is listed as Vulnerable by the IUCN.