Phuket/Patong Air Quality

xylophone

I believe there was a thread on this somewhere but have been unable to find it, hence starting this one.

Three weeks or more ago I started getting the itchy eyes and sinus-type sniffles and wondered at the quality of the air here. I also was able to smell the "sweetish" smell in the air that I have smelt in the past when the air quality has been suspect.

Now the air quality in Patong has taken a dive...…put my little Sndway air particle device outside on the balcony this morning and it read 52 (2.5pm).

Indoors my Xiomai X2 air purifier is reading 002 but if I open the ranch-slider doors, then it immediately jumps up the scale.

So here goes with air pollution again, and it is so bloody disappointing/annoying that the Govts of Indonesia/Malaysia/Thailand wherever cannot do something about this. In fact it is bloody criminal.

Just checked various more official readings taken in other parts of Phuket.

Readings varied from an 11 up to 30.  These monitors weren't in Patong, so can't really compare. I did theorize in the other thread that the geographical features and excessive traffic in Patong combine to bottle up pollutants that would be blown away elsewhere.

However, 52 is still considered "moderate" and well below danger levels. Compare that to 80 in Chiang Mai and up to 150 in parts of Bangkok currently.

To someone with allergies, perhaps Patong is not the best place  to live?

About a year ago I started having allergy symptoms. Sniffles and random skin blemishes. Seen a couple of skin doctors. Took a  batch of tests. Now I am stuck with anti-histamine tablets forever. Funny thing is I spent a night in Surat Thai a couple of months ago and never had any sniffles at all. But I prefer not to move ... 

I had started that other thread a while ago. 

The air was really good for the last few months. Currently looking quite hazy and locals are happy to burn all the leaves (and some trash) that piled up during the last couple of rainy weeks. 

We have constant smell of burning in the afternoon the last few days. I wish the authorities would do something about it. But than TiT and they are probably off to burn in their gardens after work themselves.

But compared to the really bad days we've had before its still not too bad. 

4 hours ago, Old Croc said:

To someone with allergies, perhaps Patong is not the best place  to live?

The thing is OC, I have never suffered from allergies in my life...……….until the last 3 or 4 yrs here, now not only scratchy eyes + sinus stuffiness but large skin rashes also. Dammit.

4 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

About a year ago I started having allergy symptoms. Sniffles and random skin blemishes. Seen a couple of skin doctors. Took a  batch of tests. Now I am stuck with anti-histamine tablets forever. Funny thing is I spent a night in Surat Thai a couple of months ago and never had any sniffles at all. But I prefer not to move ... 

I went to the Dr/Dermatologist last week and am now on 2 different antihistamines and steroid tablets and creams and I go back on Thursday to get some tests done!

Like you Lik, I prefer not to move so I will have to see how things pan out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thaibutty said:

I had started that other thread a while ago. 

Sorry thaibutty, couldn't find it!

2 hours ago, thaibutty said:

But compared to the really bad days we've had before its still not too bad. 

Agree, but methinks the bad days are a-coming! Sod it!

5 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Just as a matter of interest were you drinking here and not drinking in Surat Thani. The reason I ask is that I have (seriously) become more affected by the histamines in beer to the point that I have seriously cut down on it. I've had serious sniffles in the morning and it stops when I don't have a beer- even one or two can set it off. I have heard before about people being 'allergic' to beer I hope this isn't the thin end of the wedge.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

The reason I ask is that I have (seriously) become more affected by the histamines in beer to the point that I have seriously cut down on it. I've had serious sniffles in the morning and it stops when I don't have a beer- even one or two can set it off. I have heard before about people being 'allergic' to beer I hope this isn't the thin end of the wedge.

Horrible thought for beer drinkers...….AND I am hoping that the same doesn't apply to wine?

Having drunk more than 18,000 bottles of wine in my time, I sincerely hope I am immune to those additives and preservatives in it. If not, then lifelong antihistamine tablets it is!!!!

On another note Psimbo, is that the same with all beers or just certain ones?

OOPS Mods...…...just seen the other post by Lik and didn't mean to go too far off topic!! But then again the allergy aspect was part of my thread post ????

Edited by xylophone
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Just as a matter of interest were you drinking here and not drinking in Surat Thani. The reason I ask is that I have (seriously) become more affected by the histamines in beer to the point that I have seriously cut down on it. I've had serious sniffles in the morning and it stops when I don't have a beer- even one or two can set it off. I have heard before about people being 'allergic' to beer I hope this isn't the thin end of the wedge.

I don't drink beer for many years. My tipple is whiskey and soda. Not even had a glass of wine for years.  Interesting you should mention this as it happens that I completely ceased all alcohol for a full 4 weeks to test if there was any change to my allergy. I think that day in Surat Thani might have been in my dry month. I even stopped the antihistamine for 2 weeks when alcohol free. I was forced to take the tablets again. The month test showed no improvement so I went back to my tipple. If it had worked would have stayed alcohol free.  Sorry mods ... a bit off topic.

On 11/6/2018 at 5:30 PM, Psimbo said:

I would say that Psimbo is more on the mark, I doubt it's the air quality causing your problems.  I'd certainly not be happy to be taking antihistamine tablets for the rest of my life ????. I would bet it's something that you're consuming as we are what we eat in my opinion.

There's so much crap pumped into meat and vegetables these days it could be anything. Hope you get to the bottom of it as allergies are no fun.

20 minutes ago, Goldieinkathu said:

I would say that Psimbo is more on the mark, I doubt it's the air quality causing your problems.  I'd certainly not be happy to be taking antihistamine tablets for the rest of my life ????. I would bet it's something that you're consuming as we are what we eat in my opinion.

There's so much crap pumped into meat and vegetables these days it could be anything. Hope you get to the bottom of it as allergies are no fun.

Interesting and timely post Goldie...………..

My allergies are on the skin, randomly placed and they itch. I have tried cutting out various foods, getting my clothes washed in baby soap, not ironed and no fabric softener, cutting out artificial sweeteners and chocolate, which I still think could be a cause, and so on.

Now a mate from OZ has arrived here and has been complaining that his scalp is itchy and it is annoying him. 

Leading on from that got me wondering if Phuket municipality has been adding something to the water here??? I have never suffered allergies before and a few years ago here they/it started and have now gotten worse.

The itchy eyes and sinus stuffiness I can understand coming from the smoke haze, but this latest lot is a pain, then LiK saying he is on permanent anti-histamines and a girl I know saying the same thing and others too and the water supply is a common denominator??

Any thoughts anyone?

PS. Off to see the Dermatologist tomorrow and the original rashes have cleared, but with a few new ones appearing...…..grrrrrrrrrr.

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

My allergies are on the skin, randomly placed and they itch. I have tried cutting out various foods, getting my clothes washed in baby soap, not ironed and no fabric softener, cutting out artificial sweeteners and chocolate, which I still think could be a cause, and so on.

Now a mate from OZ has arrived here and has been complaining that his scalp is itchy and it is annoying him. 

Leading on from that got me wondering if Phuket municipality has been adding something to the water here??? I have never suffered allergies before and a few years ago here they/it started and have now gotten worse.

The itchy eyes and sinus stuffiness I can understand coming from the smoke haze, but this latest lot is a pain, then LiK saying he is on permanent anti-histamines and a girl I know saying the same thing and others too and the water supply is a common denominator??

Any thoughts anyone?

PS. Off to see the Dermatologist tomorrow and the original rashes have cleared, but with a few new ones appearing...…..grrrrrrrrrr.

Mirrors my symptoms. Random rashes on lower arms. Very itchy. Just appear in a few minutes. Slowly fade over 4 or 5 days. Usually one at a time then clear for a good few days. Crazy itchy but if scratch or bump then thick layer of skin peels off leading to profound bleeding. Found that just baby powder on top reduces itchy and makes the ski less brittle. 

Also random upper body spots. Tried various doctor creams. Baby powder works best for me.

We don't have access to Municipal water. Use collected rain water. No chlorine added.

I rarely eat chocolates. Gave up ice cream when this started. As I said I even gave up booze for a while. Nothing helps.

I test not taking the anthistamine from time to time. It's really the mucus in breathing line that makes life not good. If starts to effect quality of life I take one tablet a day. Just a penalty of being very old. 

Edit ... wife says that skin blotches might be due to my taking one baby asprin every day for blood pressure control. 

Edited by LivinginKata

16 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

We don't have access to Municipal water. Use collected rain water. No chlorine added.

Well that's blown my water theory out of the park!!

And have just returned from my f/up visit to the Dermatologist with a longer course of antihistamines, so will see how that pans out. 

She thinks it is from pollen or dust (possibly smoke haze?) and did explain that I should try using a skin moisturiser because as we get older (I'm 71 this month) the skin dries out/loses its natural oil protection which makes it prone to irritation. I do have some of that so will use it over the coming weeks in conjunction with the other treatment to see how it goes.

I did ask whether a food allergy could be the cause, but she thinks not and these tend to react in a different way.

So LiK, how about using some moisturiser all over for a few weeks and see how that goes?

Edited by xylophone

32 minutes ago, xylophone said:

<snip>

So LiK, how about using some moisturiser all over for a few weeks and see how that goes?

I am a year your junior. Well know about the dry skin aspect of old age. Been using creams or moisturiser for many many months now. But for me baby powder works better, blows that out of the water.

Moisturiser not help my mucus problem in the air tubes.

47 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

I am a year your junior. Well know about the dry skin aspect of old age. Been using creams or moisturiser for many many months now. But for me baby powder works better, blows that out of the water.

Moisturiser not help my mucus problem in the air tubes.

OK, just trying to be of help, although I would think that baby powder would have a drying effect but may reduce the itching????

Not sure I understand about the "mucous problem in the air tubes"...…………….??

58 minutes ago, xylophone said:

OK, just trying to be of help, although I would think that baby powder would have a drying effect but may reduce the itching????

Not sure I understand about the "mucous problem in the air tubes"...…………….??

Yes. Reduces the itching. Cream not so effective for that.

How about 'phlegm'  a thick substance in your nose and throat that is produced when you have a cold

Mucus vs. Phlegm

You may also hear "mucus" and "phlegm" used interchangeably, but phlegm is actually a different mucus-like substance.

Phlegm is produced by your lungs and respiratory system.

Your body always produces mucus, but you may notice it most when it changes as a result of a respiratory infection (such as the flu), the common cold, a sinus infection, or allergies.

You may also produce more mucus if you smoke.

Mucus production is normal and serves many purposes, even when you're healthy.

It protects the tissue that lines your lungs, throat, and nasal and sinus passages, keeping it from drying out.

It also works to trap unwanted bacteria and allergens (such as dust or pollen), preventing them from spreading through your body and making you sick.

Mucus even contains antibodies, or enzymes, designed to kill or neutralize these harmful materials

8 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Yes. Reduces the itching. Cream not so effective for that.

How about 'phlegm'  a thick substance in your nose and throat that is produced when you have a cold

Mucus vs. Phlegm

You may also hear "mucus" and "phlegm" used interchangeably, but phlegm is actually a different mucus-like substance.

Phlegm is produced by your lungs and respiratory system.

Your body always produces mucus, but you may notice it most when it changes as a result of a respiratory infection (such as the flu), the common cold, a sinus infection, or allergies.

You may also produce more mucus if you smoke.

Mucus production is normal and serves many purposes, even when you're healthy.

It protects the tissue that lines your lungs, throat, and nasal and sinus passages, keeping it from drying out.

It also works to trap unwanted bacteria and allergens (such as dust or pollen), preventing them from spreading through your body and making you sick.

Mucus even contains antibodies, or enzymes, designed to kill or neutralize these harmful materials

Lol...………..I was puzzled by the use of the term air tubes "LiK, as I did think that maybe you could use assisted breathing apparatus, but was a little shy to broach the subject!!!!!!

So in your airways then, which certainly does sound like a pollen thing...….have you undergone tests for this?? I ask because I am scheduled for one in a month or so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

Lol...………..I was puzzled by the use of the term air tubes "LiK, as I did think that maybe you could use assisted breathing apparatus, but was a little shy to broach the subject!!!!!!

So in your airways then, which certainly does sound like a pollen thing...….have you undergone tests for this?? I ask because I am scheduled for one in a month or so.

No more tests for now. Not so confident about doctors. One so called dermatologist suggested I should screen for cancer. Shocker. I went to International right away and had extensive x-ray, ultra sound, special blood tests. I was all clear. Hospital not ask for stool sample. I insisted on stool sample test and it did prove I had an imbalance in my stomach acid. I had no appetite for many months. 7 days of tablets solved that. Eat well now. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, xylophone said:

And may I ask what form they took as I am suffering with several skin rashes at the moment, but no sinus stuff as in the past?

Sir, I occasionally suffer from Hives (Urticaria) when I visit hotter climes mainly due to sweating but not the other symptoms as per the attached link – stress, etc.  which I’ve included purely for reference. Talking to my doctor about this, he also mentioned that raised blood pressure can be a contributing factor to the severity of attack. It’s unlikely to be a skin contagion thing but more related to the nervous system. Unfortunately, the swelling will have little or no effect on one’s gentleman sausage. ????

https://www.webmd.com/allergies/cholinergic-urticaria-facts#1

(LIK - note the bit about affect to breathing)

12 hours ago, billythehat said:

Sir, I occasionally suffer from Hives (Urticaria) when I visit hotter climes mainly due to sweating but not the other symptoms as per the attached link – stress, etc.  which I’ve included purely for reference. Talking to my doctor about this, he also mentioned that raised blood pressure can be a contributing factor to the severity of attack. It’s unlikely to be a skin contagion thing but more related to the nervous system. Unfortunately, the swelling will have little or no effect on one’s gentleman sausage. ????

https://www.webmd.com/allergies/cholinergic-urticaria-facts#1

(LIK - note the bit about affect to breathing)

Thank you for the link bth, most informative, although the rashes look like hives, they last for more than a week or more and don't seem to fit the pattern described.

I am reliably (?) informed by two different Drs here that I am allergic to dust or pollen at this moment in time and am on a couple of antihistamine tablets, steroids (for a short time only) and cortisone cream, so lets see how that pans out.

I was sceptical about the dust/pollen link, however yesterday I decided to go and buy a very loose cotton top, very much like the ones that are popular here in Thailand, and this one was a bit longer and I reasoned that I could wear it around the house so that the airflow was able to reach the body more easily (cooling effect?).

I bought it from underneath Jungceylon in one of those Indian type shops and I was actually looking for a Kaftan thing, but this had to do. Now here is the interesting thing........ I put it on as soon as I got home, and within about 15 minutes I had a rash round my neck where this had come into contact with it, so quickly removed the garment.

Trying to think of an answer to this I reasoned that the shop under the Jungceylon complex also had an opening out onto the road just opposite where the new Central shopping centre is being built, and the amount of dust and other crap which has been in the air because of this has been immense, and I think it's quite possible that some of this has settled on some of the clothes nearby, especially as this one was in a rack open to this dust/etc.

I'm hoping that this will be a short-term thing as regards the pollen aspect, however there is quite a bit of building work going on at the moment, for whatever reason god only knows, so let's hope that this settles also. 

2 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Could be fungal.......

Thanks for the suggestion Joe and I have lived and worked in the tropics for years, as well as playing sport, so can usually recognise a fungal infection and this doesn't seem like one. Unfortunate really cos they are easily treatable whereas this thing isn't!!!!

10 hours ago, xylophone said:

Thank you for the link bth, most informative, although the rashes look like hives, they last for more than a week or more and don't seem to fit the pattern described.

I am reliably (?) informed by two different Drs here that I am allergic to dust or pollen at this moment in time and am on a couple of antihistamine tablets, steroids (for a short time only) and cortisone cream, so lets see how that pans out.

I was sceptical about the dust/pollen link, however yesterday I decided to go and buy a very loose cotton top, very much like the ones that are popular here in Thailand, and this one was a bit longer and I reasoned that I could wear it around the house so that the airflow was able to reach the body more easily (cooling effect?).

I bought it from underneath Jungceylon in one of those Indian type shops and I was actually looking for a Kaftan thing, but this had to do. Now here is the interesting thing........ I put it on as soon as I got home, and within about 15 minutes I had a rash round my neck where this had come into contact with it, so quickly removed the garment.

Trying to think of an answer to this I reasoned that the shop under the Jungceylon complex also had an opening out onto the road just opposite where the new Central shopping centre is being built, and the amount of dust and other crap which has been in the air because of this has been immense, and I think it's quite possible that some of this has settled on some of the clothes nearby, especially as this one was in a rack open to this dust/etc.

I'm hoping that this will be a short-term thing as regards the pollen aspect, however there is quite a bit of building work going on at the moment, for whatever reason god only knows, so let's hope that this settles also. 

Sir, having exhausted all possible avenues of diagnosis, there remains the only possible explanation for your maladies and I think you better take a seat…seated? Okay, if gives me no pleasure to break this to you gently, but you have ‘Lalalanditis’…yes, you've become allergic to Thailand and there is, sadly, no known cure.????

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, billythehat said:

Sir, having exhausted all possible avenues of diagnosis, there remains the only possible explanation for your maladies and I think you better take a seat…seated? Okay, if gives me no pleasure to break this to you gently, but you have ‘Lalalanditis’…yes, you've become allergic to Thailand and there is, sadly, no known cure.????

#me too ????