New Ranger any opinions

kannot

OK so moving on from my ( hilarious apparently) Colorado thread, how about the NEW RANGER? Service on those is 15k which is  good, the paints  still cack although RED seems the best of the crapness for orange peel and I can get that cut  out by someone I know in BKK .

Hows the transmission crap coming on? or  off? It sure whizzes thru those 10  gears when you floor  it

I test drove the Biturbo Raptor  today down at Prachuap Khiri Khan,  I was underwhelmed with the grunt if Im honest although suspension seems  better than before, mind you it does have those fancy shocks  now.

Please relay back any   crap service stories from Ford ( allegedly)

After the Wildtrak 4x4 which they do in RED as the colour chart and websites dont have the correct colours but RED is available and buggered if I want  yet another one of those everywhere Orange  ones.

I have two dealers  by me 60k and 40k though am avoiding the Hua  Hin one as have heard stories of  poor  service.?

I just sold my 2014 Ford Ranger Wildtrak 3.2L 4x4 to my brother-in-law and bought a new Bi-Turbo Wildtrack.  Both in white with black trim.  The old one still looks brand new.  No paint problems or any other problems.  Better fuel economy than my previous Toyota 3.0 L 4x4 and much better brakes.  Had over 100km when I sold it.  No reliability problems; excellent service. So I bought a new one.

The Raptor is slightly heavier than the Wildtrak, but shouldn't make much difference in performance.  My new Wildtrak has very good power in my opinion.  Faster than the 3.2 and much faster than the Toyota 3.0.  Not broken in yet so not sure about fuel economy, but it is doing better than the 3.2 or the Toyota 3.0 up to now. 

Ride is much improved over the 3.2 which was a little rough.  Nevertheless, the handling and brakes remain a strong points  Lots of equipment such as adaptive cruise control, 6 air bags, low speed automatic braking to avoid city crashes. lane departure alert,  alert if it thinks you are sleepy, navigation system. auto windshield wipers and head lights, etc., etc.

What's not to like?  I love my old one and love my new one even more.  And my wife loves her Ford Focus 1.5 turbo.  Both her car and the new truck can park themselves, too.  No hands, just operate throttle and brake!  Her car is candy apple red and no paint problems since new in January 2016.  Cheers

7 hours ago, donmuang37 said:

I just sold my 2014 Ford Ranger Wildtrak 3.2L 4x4 to my brother-in-law and bought a new Bi-Turbo Wildtrack.  Both in white with black trim.  The old one still looks brand new.  No paint problems or any other problems.  Better fuel economy than my previous Toyota 3.0 L 4x4 and much better brakes.  Had over 100km when I sold it.  No reliability problems; excellent service. So I bought a new one.

The Raptor is slightly heavier than the Wildtrak, but shouldn't make much difference in performance.  My new Wildtrak has very good power in my opinion.  Faster than the 3.2 and much faster than the Toyota 3.0.  Not broken in yet so not sure about fuel economy, but it is doing better than the 3.2 or the Toyota 3.0 up to now. 

Ride is much improved over the 3.2 which was a little rough.  Nevertheless, the handling and brakes remain a strong points  Lots of equipment such as adaptive cruise control, 6 air bags, low speed automatic braking to avoid city crashes. lane departure alert,  alert if it thinks you are sleepy, navigation system. auto windshield wipers and head lights, etc., etc.

What's not to like?  I love my old one and love my new one even more.  And my wife loves her Ford Focus 1.5 turbo.  Both her car and the new truck can park themselves, too.  No hands, just operate throttle and brake!  Her car is candy apple red and no paint problems since new in January 2016.  Cheers

Thanks, i drove the raptor a   couple of days ago, it  felt slow to me compared to the Chevrolet Colorado which I  took out again yesterday from the dealer in Hua  Hin Also.

Stuck my  foot  down in the Colorado and off it  takes, the Ranger was  a  mass  of  gear changing thru its 10 speed, didnt  feel to have the  push of acceleration although tests show it as faster in  roll on and acceleration.

I spoke to the head  of  village here he  also has the 3.2 Ranger  and he reported no problems in the 4  years hes  had it, he gets his serviced down at Prachuap a s opposed to Hua  Hin which Ive heard reports of  bad  service from.

The  paint issue isnt a problem its a  visual thing with really bad  orange  peel texture, its on all Fords Ive seen and all to the same poor  standard, it  really puts  me off them kind of narks at me when I see it in the light, Chevrolets paint is way way  better.

Ford have updated a  lot of  things as  you mention in the Ranger but I wonder if  Ill actually  ever  use them, for me  the active cruise control would be good, parking am not so  fussed  about.

There is  also an update due on the Chevvy for 2020 but cant find  any thing  out about it.

Id  only be interested in the bi turbo and  its 1265000 as  opposed to the Chevvys 1098000.

The  Chevvys interior looks a bit cheaper but still ok, Ford has more dealers and more  sales but choice of colours limited in the bi turbo.

One dealer told me yesterday he had RED in the bi turbo and after asking Ford on facebook they said not, so Im going back to  check that today as he circled  all the colours  for the bi turbo on the brochure he gave me.

Has your bi turbo been affected by the transmission issue?

Some truck buyers are a rare breed.Why when buying something as bland a Ute do they go for an iffy brand here, when there are so many with a fine track record of reliability. Its like buying a Proton over a Mazda to me. Is it that Slob/Boy racer Look some find attractive ?..Id go for the ones Kerry Express use.

13 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Some truck buyers are a rare breed.Why when buying something as bland a Ute do they go for an iffy brand here, when there are so many with a fine track record of reliability. Its like buying a Proton over a Mazda to me. Is it that Slob/Boy racer Look some find attractive ?..Id go for the ones Kerry Express use.

Some are  less bland  than others, guess you like luminous orange as  well, maybe I should drive like a total dick  to complete the Kerry image?

Mazda paint is pretty grim too.

Either way it seems you dont own a new Ranger so cant offer  much info on it.

Checked with dealer today and it seems he was wrong, Red aint available which leaves a  choice of  dull grey, dull aluminium, dull black, dull silver or gayboy   orange, none of  which appeal to me.

13 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Slob/Boy racer

Show me that  look, all I see is Bling Bling extra wide spas wheels  or stupid  lowered to the floor with dumb ultra  low profile tyres and plumes of  black soot  pouring out the exhaust, needs  to be completed with some cack meaningless writing down the side stickers.

8 hours ago, CharlieH said:

I wouldnt have one as a gift ! 

For some reason Ford in Thailand just dont work !

If I was given one I would trade it in immediately. ????

But why? their sales for the Ranger are 43000 a  year, thats pretty  good, granted the car sales have had a  real kicking with the gearbox issue, their after sales is  supposed to be crap.

Chevrolets sales are 16900 for  the Colorado for a year Toyotas 18000 a  month.

In Australia Rangers are no.2 for sales and its the best all round truck in  all  the  tests.

8 hours ago, jvs said:

I also own a Ranger and went to the dealer in Hua-Hin,just once.

will never go back there,very bad service.

Thanks, in what way? I went to both Hua  Hin and the one down  past Prachuap small dealer maybe  better . Not sure both  are owned by the same man though??

My time is split between  Hua  Hin and Bangkok, so Ill probably buy in BKK as  more choice/ competition

Love Ford trucks in the USA (would not consider buying any other brand), but two years ago when I was buying my truck here in Thailand the choice was between Isuzu or Toyota, not because Fords are any worse that these brands, but I was worried about service and maintenance issues here in Buriram. No issues with the Isuzu and the service in Nang Rong is good (although sometimes slow).

2 hours ago, kannot said:

Thanks, in what way? I went to both Hua  Hin and the one down  past Prachuap small dealer maybe  better . Not sure both  are owned by the same man though??

My time is split between  Hua  Hin and Bangkok, so Ill probably buy in BKK as  more choice/ competition

They simply did not do what was on the bill,took them 6 hours just to change oil and filter.When i asked them about some other work they were supposed to do i just got a blank stare.A few girls over there do speak english very well so it is not another case of misunderstanding.I will try Phetburi next time.

4 hours ago, kannot said:

But why? their sales for the Ranger are 43000 a  year, thats pretty  good, granted the car sales have had a  real kicking with the gearbox issue, their after sales is  supposed to be crap.

Chevrolets sales are 16900 for  the Colorado for a year Toyotas 18000 a  month.

In Australia Rangers are no.2 for sales and its the best all round truck in  all  the  tests.

I just dont trust them, couldnt relax waiting for a problem either with the vehicle or the dealership.Dont want the hassle.

Seems you have already decided to buy one anyway, so I wish you luck.

18 hours ago, CharlieH said:

I just dont trust them, couldnt relax waiting for a problem either with the vehicle or the dealership.Dont want the hassle.

Seems you have already decided to buy one anyway, so I wish you luck.

Havent decided anything yet just investigating stories ,rumours and trying to sort out the BS from the truth which is never  easy especially when people just say something like "piece of garbage " etc without adding the details which is why I asked for the "why" reply.

So your answer says waiting for a problem but you dont own one so no problem exists.

Seems after their kicking with the gearbox  issues they may have learnt a  thing or two with the fast recall of the Rangers recent issue  which Im still not sure what that fully  is.

20 hours ago, jvs said:

They simply did not do what was on the bill,took them 6 hours just to change oil and filter.When i asked them about some other work they were supposed to do i just got a blank stare.A few girls over there do speak english very well so it is not another case of misunderstanding.I will try Phetburi next time.

I was in the Hua  Hin dealer yesterday I asked the girl if the bi turbo one in the showroom was for sale and she didnt have a  clue  what i was on about, I found she knew a  few  words of English but nothing else.

The  biggest downer on the Ford is the crap paint, it  does vary wildly, some are almost half decent but never  good , others atrocious which is  why i ask them if I can have the model in the showroom as I can see how  good/bad the paint  is and  I dont want to order and find it arrives  with really bad paint with the dealer whinging theyre  all like  that.

As in all the showrooms they  bloody well follow  you around continually which I hate and  I usually go straight off from buying from them even after Ive told them In Thai Im just  looking and dont need any help.

Doubt Ill buy anything in Hua  Hin area anyway can get better deals  in BKK.

Trying to get Chevrolet  to  tell me if theres a  mild  update on the Colorado which should  happen for 2020 model year but not sure if jan feb march april and I dont want to wait much longer.

With car buying Ive found the dealer s the key in ALL countries.

20 hours ago, jvs said:

Eeek 6 hours, hopefully  they changed it in the 10  minute interval allowed as the engine will fail if  not due to loss of  oil, a  huge  design error Id  say. Thanks for the reply  though.

13 minutes ago, faraday said:

Yea, the salesmen...

Looked at a Toyata before buying the Wildtrak. As soon as I got out of the cramped driver's seat, the salesman started trying to get me to the sign up.

A rather over-assumptive close!

Sounds like the woman at Hua  Hin in Chevrolet almost  blocking the door to stop me going out, comical really and  I wont buy off them anyway  Id  go another branch just for this high pressure  reason.

Asking if I wanted it today or tomorrow, asking me to fill out a form with my details, phone numbers etc etc, gave em nowt, probably label me as a  timewaster next.

Thankfully went into Bluport yesterday and they had the exact model I like in there without any sales  staff so could  have a good  look round, sit  in etc. It was the model In their showroom the day before they obviously  just driven it down there.

6 minutes ago, faraday said:

Yea, the salesmen...

Looked at a Toyata before buying the Wildtrak. As soon as I got out of the cramped driver's seat, the salesman started trying to get me to the sign up.

A rather over-assumptive close!

I found the new Revo rather  dull in looks, also didnt like the infotainment system, looks  like they just stuck in a laptop screen with some blutack. But this is my local dealer who have always been pretty darn  good to me and are 5  minutes away, never had much in the way of problem with the Toyota but this was a pick up I bought off a good  friend for a VERY cheap price after he decided at 2000km he just didnt want it, he paid about 790k and sold it to me for 320k 12  months later so it was too good to  miss but not my choice colour wise or model wise.

Cant complain about it though in any way for reliability.

15 hours ago, kannot said:

Havent decided anything yet just investigating stories ,rumours and trying to sort out the BS from the truth which is never  easy especially when people just say something like "piece of garbage " etc without adding the details which is why I asked for the "why" reply.

So your answer says waiting for a problem but you dont own one so no problem exists.

Seems after their kicking with the gearbox  issues they may have learnt a  thing or two with the fast recall of the Rangers recent issue  which Im still not sure what that fully  is.

As a serial Ranger owner (of 2) sice 2011, I see their reliability issues broadly as follows.

PX 2011-2015: Never hear complaints about 2.2's but the early 3.2's that had their local release delayed until 2012/13 due to most production being allocated for export did have several issues but not exclusively transmission related. Poor response at dealerships and lack of backup from Ford was notable and made it a lot worse than it should have been. However, most 3.2's, especially from 2013 onwards were like the 2.2's... unremarkable.

PX2 2015-mid 2018: Very few issues reported with either engine sizes and builds.

PX2 late 2018: The Ranger Raptor with the new smaller 2.0 bi-turbo motor had several same-fault failures among the first deliveries. Ford responded with instant warranty replacement of the whole vehicle, no quibbles.

I think there's been a recent recall of some Everests with the new 2.0 engine with a positively identified issue that's been limited to within a strict VIN range and 100% covered by warranty. So far, that seems to be going well. This based on the 'no news is good news' principle.

FWIW, total of over 150,00 km in a 2.2 and 3.2 with all work covered under warranty apart from the battery (a repeat issue between both my trucks) that I chose to resolve by buying my own batteries having lost confidence in their OEM ones. The rest of the truck is just fine by me.

7 hours ago, KittenKong said:
On 11/6/2018 at 12:47 PM, kannot said:

It sure whizzes thru those 10  gears when you floor  it

Why on earth does a pickup need 10 automatic gears?

tp use the engines optimal torque.

Archived