New Ranger any opinions

kannot

A 10 speed box is good on a motor with low rpm torque, they shove in a very low first gear ratio to get the thing moving, plus it has 3 overdrive gears for fast cruising. In my opinion an engine with low rpm grunt that stays there through it's normal usage doesn't need  so many gears. Of course final drive ratio comes into the equation but...????

20 hours ago, NanLaew said:

As a serial Ranger owner (of 2) sice 2011, I see their reliability issues broadly as follows.

PX 2011-2015: Never hear complaints about 2.2's but the early 3.2's that had their local release delayed until 2012/13 due to most production being allocated for export did have several issues but not exclusively transmission related. Poor response at dealerships and lack of backup from Ford was notable and made it a lot worse than it should have been. However, most 3.2's, especially from 2013 onwards were like the 2.2's... unremarkable.

PX2 2015-mid 2018: Very few issues reported with either engine sizes and builds.

PX2 late 2018: The Ranger Raptor with the new smaller 2.0 bi-turbo motor had several same-fault failures among the first deliveries. Ford responded with instant warranty replacement of the whole vehicle, no quibbles.

I think there's been a recent recall of some Everests with the new 2.0 engine with a positively identified issue that's been limited to within a strict VIN range and 100% covered by warranty. So far, that seems to be going well. This based on the 'no news is good news' principle.

FWIW, total of over 150,00 km in a 2.2 and 3.2 with all work covered under warranty apart from the battery (a repeat issue between both my trucks) that I chose to resolve by buying my own batteries having lost confidence in their OEM ones. The rest of the truck is just fine by me.

Thanks  good  report from an actual owner.

8 hours ago, transam said:

A 10 speed box is good on a motor with low rpm torque, they shove in a very low first gear ratio to get the thing moving, plus it has 3 overdrive gears for fast cruising. In my opinion an engine with low rpm grunt that stays there through it's normal usage doesn't need  so many gears. Of course final drive ratio comes into the equation but...????

It certainly  churned thru them all when I drove it except the top 3 which is where the cruising for economy is done. 

19 hours ago, DavisH said:

The front is a bit unusual, but what about a new triton? Top spec s just shy of 1.1m. New auto is a 6 speeder. 

image.png.cddd5c839bcae4d617949c324a75a96b.png

Thanks Im a  fan if the mitsu and it did need an update, got anymore info in it?

3 minutes ago, kannot said:

It certainly  churned thru them all when I drove it except the top 3 which is where the cruising for economy is done. 

I suspect the box program will only use overdrive gears when it's criteria is accepted..

4 hours ago, kannot said:

Thanks Im a  fan if the mitsu and it did need an update, got anymore info in it?

ok found theyve updated  their website  now so  got  all  the  info,  face  looks  a  bit  ugly  but theyve  added a lot of other electronic  stuff

On 11/11/2018 at 9:16 AM, transam said:

increasing the number of gears is not a cost increasing fancy fart from the manufacturers but the squeeze from the regulators to reduce average fleet pollution. although marginalised pertaining to a single model every bit of pollution decrease helps to meet the afore-mentioned demand. that nobody cares in Thailand and that the resident eggsburts think it's overkill is irrelevant.

:smile:

On 11/11/2018 at 5:39 PM, kannot said:

Lots of stuff on the Mitsubishi Thailand website. It looks decent value and has a lot of kit for the price. I think 5 years 100K warranty also.

....oh you saw the car already:) 

The front is not to my taste either, but maybe see how it looks in different colours. A bit too much fake chrome for me as well.

For what it's worth, purchased our Ford Ranger almost 3 years ago, very happy with the car to date and the dealership always bend over backwards for us if there has ever been an issue, like the radio coming on by itself for example, they tell us to bring it straight in, the services are done within a 1-2 hour window from the time we drop it in, and all the parts replaced are put in the back tray in a plastic bag for us to inspect and take home to throw away, without asking, big window from their lounge area to watch the guys work away on the car, service pricing is also good.

Ford usually ring us afterwards wanting to know if the dealership was up to scratch when it came to servicing or if we had any complaints, which we don't.

Will be looking to upgrade in the next year as the 100km warranty will be up, but won't be upgrading to the new ranger as they are pricey and as I like plain white their colours are displeasing in my eyes, so looks like I will go for the Everest mid range as the kids are getting older and aren't enjoying the tray as much as they used to, with cover of course so that they don't burn in the sun, and the 7 seater will fit em all in, will definitely need to get some ear plugs though. 

As for Chevrolet, well went into their dealership twice and no one wanted to serve us, so they lose, and Toyota were not interested in giving a better cash price so they also lost out, although they did ring back that afternoon crying that they would have negotiated, even though they were told we were buying that day...lol

The Ford dealer is in the north-east so might be a little far for you unless you want to fly up and drive your new car home taking in the countryside for about 10 hours. 

15 hours ago, DavisH said:

Lots of stuff on the Mitsubishi Thailand website. It looks decent value and has a lot of kit for the price. I think 5 years 100K warranty also.

....oh you saw the car already:) 

The front is not to my taste either, but maybe see how it looks in different colours. A bit too much fake chrome for me as well.

Yep theres a  great big  dollop of Chrome on the tailgate, the old model  looked  better but they sure have added some good  things like their select 2 ALL wheel drive all round parking camera similar to Nissan,air con thru rear ceiling vents and a  raft of other electronic  aids inc  new 6 speed  auto.

Ill take it for a test drive next week, seen it i  all colours at the dealer ( round the back) Orange  looks the best but  still not my choice.

I like Mitsubishi for many reasons, reliable, dealer  close by and wasnt too bad  looking though somewhat smaller than other pick ups.

However................gawd that ugly flat face????

5 year 100k as  opposed to 3  year 100k with most, in Malaysia they give em 200k on the chevrolet I think? Ford giving Ozzies ( Australia) 5 years  unlimited  now

13 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

For what it's worth, purchased our Ford Ranger almost 3 years ago, very happy with the car to date and the dealership always bend over backwards for us if there has ever been an issue, like the radio coming on by itself for example, they tell us to bring it straight in, the services are done within a 1-2 hour window from the time we drop it in, and all the parts replaced are put in the back tray in a plastic bag for us to inspect and take home to throw away, without asking, big window from their lounge area to watch the guys work away on the car, service pricing is also good.

Ford usually ring us afterwards wanting to know if the dealership was up to scratch when it came to servicing or if we had any complaints, which we don't.

Will be looking to upgrade in the next year as the 100km warranty will be up, but won't be upgrading to the new ranger as they are pricey and as I like plain white their colours are displeasing in my eyes, so looks like I will go for the Everest mid range as the kids are getting older and aren't enjoying the tray as much as they used to, with cover of course so that they don't burn in the sun, and the 7 seater will fit em all in, will definitely need to get some ear plugs though. 

As for Chevrolet, well went into their dealership twice and no one wanted to serve us, so they lose, and Toyota were not interested in giving a better cash price so they also lost out, although they did ring back that afternoon crying that they would have negotiated, even though they were told we were buying that day...lol

The Ford dealer is in the north-east so might be a little far for you unless you want to fly up and drive your new car home taking in the countryside for about 10 hours. 

Thanks  good  report, as Ive said previously I not too fussed about general reliability as its  really the "Dealer" that makes the difference in almost all of these  cases. Now how to find  a  good un??

Agree  colour choice is somewhat naff Chevrolet offer  the best imo inc  red  blue etc

31 minutes ago, kannot said:

Yep theres a  great big  dollop of Chrome on the tailgate, the old model  looked  better but they sure have added some good  things like their select 2 ALL wheel drive all round parking camera similar to Nissan,air con thru rear ceiling vents and a  raft of other electronic  aids inc  new 6 speed  auto.

Ill take it for a test drive next week, seen it i  all colours at the dealer ( round the back) Orange  looks the best but  still not my choice.

I like Mitsubishi for many reasons, reliable, dealer  close by and wasnt too bad  looking though somewhat smaller than other pick ups.

However................gawd that ugly flat face????

5 year 100k as  opposed to 3  year 100k with most, in Malaysia they give em 200k on the chevrolet I think? Ford giving Ozzies ( Australia) 5 years  unlimited  now

I rather like the face on this model.

gallery_new-car-carlist-mitsubishi-triton-vgt-athlete-pickup-truck-malaysia_5907154_a7DyX8F3SptzeLWuclrp6e.JPG

2 hours ago, Issanman said:

Here is what the front of the new Mitsu looks like for those who have not yet seen one.

1542080269054.jpg.8a659143d834797d5884c74c3ebd79d2.jpg

Mitsubishi have a habit of messing up styling. Look at the rear lights on the pajero sport. This was a major complaint, yet they didn't fix this on their latest refreshment. I would have thought that front bumper on the triton would increase drag, but maybe my not much. 

7 hours ago, giddyup said:

Never seen that model on the road in Thailand.

been out about 6  months its  just a tarted up with stickers and a few other bits like dvd  screen etc standard  model that many of them do, Triton "Athlete"  Toyota  "Rocco" Chevrolet "tornado edition" etc etc

Archived