Billy Vows Never To Return To Phuket

faultytower

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Face it, as a true beach holiday destination Pattaya died years ago, Phuket (Patong beach) died a few years ago, and Samui (Chaweng and Lamai) is on life support. In five or six years we can probably add Koh Chang to the list, and eventually Koh Lanta as well.

Of course, posters have correctly stated that for Phuket and Samui there are other less popular and less populated beaches free of some of these problems, but the entirety of each island is feeling the negative effects of the overdevelopment. Try riding around the road on Samui – gravel trucks are barreling all over the place, traffick congestion, etc. A taxi to the airport is 400 baht for a ten to twenty minute ride. Water shortages, pollution, and other issues affect the entire island. Phuket is no different – overdevelopment is killing the rest of the island.

If you like sin and smut on the beach, over priced shopping, touts, taxi or tuk-tuk mafias, by all means, go to Pattaya, Samui or Phuket. I am not above a stop in to Samui myself – though I will never go back to Patong, it is like Patpong on the beach, only more expensive and with more touts and rip-offs.

Happily, for a true beach vacation, there are other islands with much less hassle. Enjoy Koh Lanta and Koh Chang while you can...

Furbie

thank buddha for some decent people on here

AS for Dupont and his ignorant jetskie comment it just sums up the mentality of the phuket brigade.

If you have any appreciation for diving as you profess to have then you obviously value the marine environment so why on earth would you rent a jetski which is harmful to coral and all marine life not to mention non marine life such as people, I like bars as much as the next man but what I do go to a beach for primarliy is to swim in clear waters and appreciate tropical nature, ie coral and fish

I do not go there to ride jetskies. Thats my main gripe about phuket as its more or less impossible to find a decnt beach for swimming

Before you get high and mighty about what a great traveller you are and think you are more adventurous than me, think again

I can assure you I have been to more places than you've ridden jetskies

I've been to 90 percent of the beaches on Phuket and none fit the ideal tropical paradise.

Is bang tao on the tourist trail, or how about the one near the airport

or how about the one just north of nai harn where you have to ride down a dirt track to get to it?

trust me i've explored. By all means stick to Phuket "paradise lost" but unfortunaelty you and your

tasteless sorts take over other areas to ,so all we are left with is crowded overdevloped jetski ridden hel_l holes. If i wasn't interested in nature or swimming off a beach then and all i wanted was nightlife and shopping which is obvioulsy what you like then i'd stick to the cities such as Bangkok

and leave the beaches to people who actually apppreciate them.

In fact surely Magaluf or benidorm would be more to your taste??

Yabs .... you still aren't anywhere near Thailand ... and still haven't been to Phuket in years ... but I am surprised you are still posting here!

Edited by jdinasia

• 2 weeks later...
Then don't come here.

Too late for me as I have already moved here. It is the first time back here in about 4 years and I want to move awat again as soon as I can. I think that it is so much worse that it does not resemble the place I used to come to over 4 years ago. I cannot understand why the locals do not want the place to be better... Get rid of the thieves (tuk tuks, motorcycle taxis, local police etc.) and the place will start to shine again but it would still need a lot of work.

Don't worry, I will do my best to leave soon.

just a note .... yes transportation for folks that don't have a car or a motorcycle IS the worst thing about Phuket .... The rest? well it just depends on where you choose to live on the island.

Too late for me as I have already moved here. It is the first time back here in about 4 years and I want to move awat again as soon as I can. I think that it is so much worse that it does not resemble the place I used to come to over 4 years ago. I cannot understand why the locals do not want the place to be better... Get rid of the thieves (tuk tuks, motorcycle taxis, local police etc.) and the place will start to shine again but it would still need a lot of work.

Don't worry, I will do my best to leave soon.

Zemran, my comment was aimed at those who come on the forum bitching about Phuket. In your case, you live here, you don't like it, you're moving on and, most importantly, you're not taking up bandwidth bitching about it or trying to persuade others how horrible the place is. I have no problem with that.

yes I'm surprised too

Yes Phuket is wonderful

PLEASE EVERYONE GO THERE

and leave me in my jetski free paradise!

I love jet-skis ! Been living here 5 years and I still love to have a blast ! Best 500 baht you can ever spend !! :D

You guys need to live a little :o

I rarely post on here, but I thought I'd add my 2bahts worth.

I first moved to Phuket 11 years ago, when I was 30, for all of the reasons that other posters did - great beaches, relaxed living, great food and nightlife and pretty girls. My day back then involved waking up late, going to Kata Noi, eating at the little thatched roof restaurants by the beach and buying fruit from the beach vendors. Afternoons were spent reading on my veranda as the sun went down over the ocean of my 250sq meter house with views over the ocean (that cost me 7.5million baht - which seemed a lot back then). Nights were often wasted in front of the TV with a friend or in Bangla, which was still quite relaxed and friendly. It was a good life and sometimes I wish I still had it.

But Patong has changed too much for me - the congestion, pollution, noise, traffic, touts, tuk tuks, jet skis, police and just the general chaotic nature of the place has accelerated at such a pace, that it didn’t t suit me anymore. Billy was fairly accurate is his submission and it takes a long term view to really see it and feel it. It's not something that happens overnight (although not far off).

I have since moved up North and for what I sold my small house in Phuket, I was able to buy 20Rai of land with a 450sqm home, with pool, about 15 minutes from Chiang Mai, and it's simply heaven and suits where I am in my life right now. I admit I do miss the beach, but I visit different places and can agree with many posters – there are many other places in Thailand besides Phuket.

And whilst I agree with many of the posters, I understand that many people who live there or visit Phuket enjoy it. Perhaps as Phuket continues to suffer the over development and money grab from all the Thai people, they too will become disillusioned in 5 or 10 years over what it has become. I can only hope the pace slows down and some respect is given to the environment, but I fear it is too late for Phuket - for me anyways.

I was there 3 weeks ago and it really is too much for me now. It is 180 degrees from why I moved there 11 years ago. It did not feel comfortable at all. But Phuket will continue to grow and more tourists will take my place and come here for what they consider Paradise. I know I will not be missed.

But each to their own. I hope those that live there find what they are looking for, as much as I hope those that leave, find their place in this great country.

...btw, I have 12 Rai of beachfront on the east Coast if anyone is interested :o

Later.

DLock

about 15 minutes from Chiang Mai, and it's simply heaven and suits where I am in my life right nowLater.

DLock

I've been meeting people here in Phuket who are escaping the smoke situation up north.

With all the shortcomings of Phuket the air is still very good.

about 15 minutes from Chiang Mai, and it's simply heaven and suits where I am in my life right nowLater.

DLock

I've been meeting people here in Phuket who are escaping the smoke situation up north.

With all the shortcomings of Phuket the air is still very good.

MrEarl,

Yep, no place is perfect. What with the air quality right now and the floods that seem to hit Chiang Mai ever year, like everywhere, it has "areas for impovement".

But this is what I call home now and the beach and bars, have made way for dirt bikes and fishing.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Enjoy.

post-21832-1175336987_thumb.jpg

I'm not going to read all this thread (yeah , lazy)

Anybody seen Billy on Phuket lately ?

:o

my last visit to phuket was xmas 2006.

next I went to kon kean, hired a car, and headed north towards Udon Thani, and then east towards Loie, over a period of 10 days. Excellent journey and met some lovely folk.

at the moment? I'm in Dublin.

Cheers :D

I first moved to Phuket 11 years ago, when I was 30, for all of the reasons that other posters did - great beaches, relaxed living, great food and nightlife and pretty girls. My day back then involved waking up late, going to Kata Noi, eating at the little thatched roof restaurants by the beach and buying fruit from the beach vendors. Afternoons were spent reading on my veranda as the sun went down over the ocean of my 250sq meter house with views over the ocean (that cost me 7.5million baht - which seemed a lot back then). Nights were often wasted in front of the TV with a friend or in Bangla, which was still quite relaxed and friendly. It was a good life and sometimes I wish I still had it.

But Patong has changed too much for me - the congestion, pollution, noise, traffic, touts, tuk tuks, jet skis, police and just the general chaotic nature of the place has accelerated at such a pace, that it didn't t suit me anymore. Billy was fairly accurate is his submission and it takes a long term view to really see it and feel it. It's not something that happens overnight (although not far off).

I have since moved up North and for what I sold my small house in Phuket, I was able to buy 20Rai of land with a 450sqm home, with pool, about 15 minutes from Chiang Mai, and it's simply heaven and suits where I am in my life right now. I admit I do miss the beach, but I visit different places and can agree with many posters – there are many other places in Thailand besides Phuket.

And whilst I agree with many of the posters, I understand that many people who live there or visit Phuket enjoy it. Perhaps as Phuket continues to suffer the over development and money grab from all the Thai people, they too will become disillusioned in 5 or 10 years over what it has become. I can only hope the pace slows down and some respect is given to the environment, but I fear it is too late for Phuket - for me anyways.

I was there 3 weeks ago and it really is too much for me now. It is 180 degrees from why I moved there 11 years ago. It did not feel comfortable at all. But Phuket will continue to grow and more tourists will take my place and come here for what they consider Paradise. I know I will not be missed.

But each to their own. I hope those that live there find what they are looking for, as much as I hope those that leave, find their place in this great country.

...btw, I have 12 Rai of beachfront on the east Coast if anyone is interested :D

Later.

DLock

A nice piece. Don't worry too much about being missed, everything but everything in our lifes has a clock attached.

Like I said in my sub, I was glad I came in what then I considered better times.

Chock dii with your new home and life. :o

But Patong has changed too much for me - the congestion, pollution, noise, traffic, touts, tuk tuks, jet skis, police and just the general chaotic nature of the place has accelerated at such a pace, that it didn't t suit me anymore. Billy was fairly accurate is his submission and it takes a long term view to really see it and feel it. It's not something that happens overnight (although not far off).

...btw, I have 12 Rai of beachfront on the east Coast if anyone is interested :o

Later.

DLock

Great and realistic post. Phuket is not the place it was ......i have been going to Phuket for 7 years and it has turned into the place i was trying to avoid. Sadly i feel my times here are nearing an end. The corruption, congestion, pollution, noise, traffic, the greed has made this place I am finding more repulsive. Of course people are entitltled to their own opinions even internet junkies like livininlos who live on a computer 24/7 - thats just life

Later.

DLock

Great and realistic post. Phuket is not the place it was ......i have been going to Phuket for 7 years and it has turned into the place i was trying to avoid. Sadly i feel my times here are nearing an end. The corruption, congestion, pollution, noise, traffic, the greed has made this place I am finding more repulsive. Of course people are entitltled to their own opinions even internet junkies like livininlos who live on a computer 24/7 - thats just life

I want to meet lady boys in Patong to have fun without my friends finding out what I'm up to.

Are there many or any short time hotels that cater specifically to guys who want to do their thing with a LB's?

I don't want togo to a norm ST hotel and walk out only to find someone I know walking out too.

Thoughts much appreciated

P.S - In repsonse to another thread Soi eric doesn't have many LB's and it is becoming very quiet these days. Many better soi's to have a couple of beers and fun

uh huh ... we believe you have been coming here 7 years

its quite easy to wind people up here I see:)

No, not wound up. I like it when you trash Phuket - it (hopefully) keeps you and people like you from coming here. I enjoy being in a place with a 10 to 1 girl to guy ratio so thanks.

The problem is not Patong. Patong has been a city by the sea, and i mean CITY. Can't remember, when it was a beautiful place, really nice to stay, maybe twenty years a go?

Don't get me wrong. If you don't mind crowd, there is a lot of fun to be had. There are bad expensive restaurants as cheap good one's. Your in to gils, all over the place! You like just to drink your evening away, all kind of bars. You like shopping, now you have "Jungceylon"!

But, all the island is getting like this. A few years ago, Kata and Karon, were fairly quiet compared to Patong, but now once you leave the beach, you are also overwhelmed by noise, smell, people who have lost there smiles and so on.

Again, it is a place where you can find everything, never be bored, you have still nice beaches, but beyond that, I miss CHARM, that has been chasen for many Bath instead of kindness. Last holliday that is what bother me most!

I for one come to Phuket to Party and like it the way it is now. Yeah its starting to get expensive but compared to Pattaya the nighclubs are better, the farang food is better and the girls are better looking.

The location is amazing also with its close proximity to phi phi and Krabi, and the beaches are excellent. Even patong beach is awesome compared to anyhting in pattaya.

Patters is much cheaper, so not really a comparison if you are comparing prices. :o

Not at all!

Still visit Patong (semi) regularly. Don't pretend Phuket is some kind of upmarket exotic hideaway like many on here though.

Rough and ready.

Nice post. Agree with you 100% I am writing this from, yes, Patong on the last night of a short break here. The last time I was in Phuket was about 4 years ago and the change is huge! Driving down from the bridge my first impression was the island looked like one bloody huge half constructed industrial estate, with cement trucks all over the place near huge billboards advertising homes in Paradise. Paradise, maybe if your name is Balfor Beatty.

Patong itself is much busier than I remember and a lot more ramshackle looking. More needless Sois full of empty bars and restaraunts. The locals did not seem to be any more unfriendly than before but I was a little bit p!@#$d off by being propositioned in a friends bar IN FRONT OF MY WIFE. I know they have a living to make but that is crossing the line, gorgeous as I am.

The other tourists seemed amiable enough, and I have seen no violence, but the Phuket Gazette seemed to imply the place is turning into the Bronx.

I am staying in a small hotel in the now unrecognizable Nanai road. Reasonably priced, the owner cannot do enough for you.

To sum up. Yeah, I will be back as it is not a bad old place, but it is a far cry from the advertising. Quite enjoyable but I will be more than happy to be back in Chumphon.

• 3 weeks later...
The problem is not Patong. Patong has been a city by the sea, and i mean CITY. Can't remember, when it was a beautiful place, really nice to stay, maybe twenty years a go?

Don't get me wrong. If you don't mind crowd, there is a lot of fun to be had. There are bad expensive restaurants as cheap good one's. Your in to gils, all over the place! You like just to drink your evening away, all kind of bars. You like shopping, now you have "Jungceylon"!

But, all the island is getting like this. A few years ago, Kata and Karon, were fairly quiet compared to Patong, but now once you leave the beach, you are also overwhelmed by noise, smell, people who have lost there smiles and so on.

Again, it is a place where you can find everything, never be bored, you have still nice beaches, but beyond that, I miss CHARM, that has been chasen for many Bath instead of kindness. Last holliday that is what bother me most!

have to agree that phuket is going down the tube - the agggression, pollution, rip offs, gross commercialisation is turning phuket into another typical crass tourist destination. For me it loooks like things will get much worse