Half a ton of underwater garbage collected at Patong Beach

snoop1130

Half a ton of underwater garbage collected at Patong Beach

By Tanyaluk Sakoot

1541586664_1-org.jpg

The cleanup saw nearly half a ton of garbage collected off Patong Beach. Photo: Patong Municipality

PHUKET: The mass underwater and beach cleanup held at Patong Beach on Monday (Nov 5) saw half of ton garbage of discarded debris collected from the waters off Phuket’s busiest tourism town, Patong Mayor Chalermluck Kebsup confirmed today (Nov 7).

The cleanup was held from 7am to 4pm as part of the festivities on the closing day of the Phuket Carnival.

A total of 412.15 kilograms of waste was collected, including 186.5kg of fishing equipment and nets; 75.2kg of glass and plastic bottles and cloth material; 97.55 kg of anchor and other ropes for boats and discarded sacks; and 52.9kg of items made from steel and/or wood.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/half-a-ton-of-underwater-garbage-collected-at-patong-beach-69272.php#59AKPQrzC81kmqFx.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-11-7

5 hours ago, Thechook said:

No way I would swim in thai waters

When I lived in Melbourne there was no way I would set foot in Port Phillip Bay, even though I lived in St Kilda!  Always headed south for a swim or surf. 

I note most of the debris came from fishing and other boats. Ghost nets and ropes are everywhere these days. Discarded moorings/anchors can be a hazard for all, and should be banned in this bay.  

Plastics in the oceans are a world wide problem with China, Thailand and Indonesia the worst offenders.

• Like 1

All the dive Companies awarded certificates for their efforts thats good. What about the efforts of the boat owners who dump most of the crap there, how about awarding them some fines and ensuring that while using the bay to make a living they respect it and others.

There is lots of metal (Tin) Leo bottle caps on the beach if you had a proper look and dog ends, Wonder who throws all these on the beach? (normally within a few feet of the awful looking open smelly bin setups that have been stationed along patong beach)