Expats need to organize in face of Embassies discontinuance of income verification letters

Quite a few years ago when the interest rate on my UK bank deposits dropped to 0.25 % and my Thai deposit was at 1.9 % I transferred much from England to Thailand, since then the falling value of the Pound has made this an even more sensible decision. I realise that people who have moved here recently may have problems, but I think anyone who has been here more than 10 years should have no excuse. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Sadly, I can not be at this meeting, but I will support this all the way 100%. Perhaps we should get a petition going now & make all embassies aware that we are serious about taking this to our governments. The Embassies here don't do a great deal for us expats here, mostly their time is taken up looking after tourists who have problems whilst on holiday here. It is not a lot to ask our embassies to support their retirees & set up a method to verify our incomes for visas purposes that is acceptable to the Thai authorities & Immigration. It is nonsense to think they cannot do this. They have the power to do so as they represent our governments on all matters concerning their respective countries. In my opinion it's a case of not wanting to "go that further mile" to help those that have retired here, some for 20 years or more. Their attitude towards this very important issue is shameful & I can only hope that this reaches the ears of government, as it has left many, especially those in their twilight years, very worried about their immediate future. A sad state of affairs ............ any petition by us here will heard for sure if we all support this 100% ....... fact.   

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, pookiki said:

have a number of concerns about putting 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account.

Overall, I'd be of the mind that as guests  to Thailand we're simply forced/required to abide by any and whatever program the Thai government chooses to employ as residency requirements.    I wish it weren't that way but it's just the reality.

I agree about being required to maintain an 800K balance.    I'm not so concerned about the banks solvency as I am about being able to remove the baht from Thailand if I want to do so.    I'm going to visit the KBank branch to get the information from them first hand.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BarnicaleBob said:

Here is my take on how all this came about.  It is entirely the fault of US expats who bragged and other expats who were tattletales complaining about how the US expat COULD/MAYBE lie that all they had to do was to raise their right hand and say I swear.  In time, this got to the higher ups of immigration and then this Summer they started to demand supporting documents from US expats.  In the meantime immigration contacted all the embassies and told them they will now have to validate the expats income, which would require the embassies to research each statement applicant's financial background.  Of course, this would require additional manpower and expenses that none of the embassies were willing to pay.  This resulted in the embassies tell Thai Immigration, "No, we will not comply and in fact because you are so demanding about this, we will cease to offer this service.  Thus, all the embassies set January 1st as the end of notarized income statements.  So in the end, we only have ourselves to blame for this happening, thank you braggers and tattletales for bringing this upon us.

With all due respect -- conjecture and speculation on your part -- as you admit.  Bottom line -- are there suitable alternatives to satisfy everyone's concerns and status of their respective visa?  I think there are but we need to organize and proffer sensible and workable ideas.

Edited by pookiki
grammar
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Regarding the use of a Thai foreign currency account, for extension; I asked at Samui Immigration if they accept them and was told a firm No - only THB.

Also, at the Bangkok Bank branch I use they claim they only provide the required letter for THB accounts.

I am hoping someone else has had a different experience there...

14 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

While I will be watching with interest in this matter, as an American Expat, I need not renew my request for a retirement extension until mid year 2019 so I have leeway to see what shakes out. That said, I do not share your focus of blame on the American (British, Australian Embassies) as we would be acting out of ignorance. I do agree that we all should be informed as to what change has been made by Thai Immigration resulting in the Embassy reaction. Not that my opinion matters, but I certainly agree that the Kingdom of Thailand or any other sovereign nation has a right to determine if foreign residents have sufficient income to support themselves. (A side bar to remind all that most of us are rather sensitive to the idea of foreigners entering our country without sufficient financial support). Again, I agree that both Thai Immigration needs to explain any changes to the demand concerning the income affidavit. My suspicion is that Thailand wants the Embassies to do a more rigorous check on income and the Embassies saying that they do not have the resources nor the ability to accept diplomatic responsibility to do this confirmation.

When I originally applied for my retirement visa at the Thai Los Angeles Embassy, I provided copies of my bank statement and copies of my Social Security monthly pension and a letter from the administrator of another pension plan with respect to my monthly pension benefit. Those documents were readily accepted to show my monthly retirement income.  Now, we are being told that the Embassy cannot verify such documents and/or that Thai immigration will not accept 'foreign' documents.  I must ask - if these documents were sufficient to get my original visa, what is the problem now? I see ways in which the embassy can 'tweak' the income affidavit to satisfy the concerns of Thai Immigration officials -- but has there been an earnest attempt by the embassies and Thai Immigration to find 'common ground'. I don't believe so.  It is also very important that the embassies give the expat community a 'voice' in how to address this matter in order to protect the interests of all involved.  I, for one, do not believe that there is no compassion by Thai immigration officials.  I have been treated with nothing but kindness and respect in all my visits to Thai immigration.  There are sensible and workable solutions to this issue.  All it takes are 'open' minds.

Edited by pookiki
grammar
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

I do agree that we all should be informed as to what change has been made by Thai Immigration resulting in the Embassy reaction.

None. The request for an "Embassy Letter verifying your income" exists for many years. At least from 2011 on Bangkok Immigration website. So probably just a reminder of this point by TI.

Edited by Pattaya46

4 minutes ago, BarnicaleBob said:

Here is my experience this week when I did my annual extension:  On Monday, I decided to try extending without a income statement from the US Consulate.  I arrived at immigration armed with a notarized statement

Thanks for the report-  can you tell us what office you used for the extension?

1 minute ago, BarnicaleBob said:

Chiang Mai immigration office. 

Thanks.  You were well prepared-  I also have similar proof.  Did they even want to see any of it or  did they just look at the Consulate letter and that was it?  

8 minutes ago, BarnicaleBob said:

Chiang Mai immigration office. 

20 minutes ago, BarnicaleBob said:

Her reply was, "800,000 baht in bank".

I was told the same yesterday. 

I was told to put 800/400 in the bank. I went to do my 90 day. I spoke to the staff and was told this. My agent was walking in the door as I was walking out and I asked the same questions.

Was given the same answer.

My wife then went to another IO and spoke to them and came back with the same answer.

Really, nobody is going to know what is going to happen next year but these were the answers I was told yesterday.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BarnicaleBob said:

Of course, this would require additional manpower and expenses that none of the embassies were willing to pay. 

And in many cases doing so would violate State Department policy (in the case of the US Embassy) and would probably hit numerous roadblocks in terms of American law or pension provider policy.

For some countries that have citizens in Thailand receiving a single government pension, verifying the source and amount might be possible, but many people receive retirement income from multiple non-government sources.

I agree with you that those who brag about their own deceit on income affidavits (or claim to know legions of friends who made fraudulent claims) and the loud-mouths (one in particular comes to mind) who harped on and on about the verification process, provoked the reaction ... just as the bragging over-stayers, the education visa scammers, et al have created other problems.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

We are not talking about negotiating and setting a policy on Brexit; the US-China Trade War or the  Israeli-Palestinian  issue. 

The 3 Embassies in question have a Citizens Section- overseen by a Vice Consul ( who by the way is paid by  tax money). An issue as important as this that affects the lives of so many should have been handled better than this. 

OK, how could it have been handled better? It's not nice but they did give 2 months notice. Did you want 6 months notice? How about 12 months notice? What more could they do for you? Surely not a survey? Whatever they do, someone is going to be disappointed.