7-Eleven launches campaign to 'reduce and stop' use of plastic bags

webfact

21 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Not that long back I listened to a Thai professor try to explain to the local 7 shop assistants (in Thai language) why she didn't want a plastic bag or a straw.

It was clear her discussion points about the environment were simply not understood.

So a question, has 7/11 given any briefings / simple handouts to staff (perhaps in quick cartoon form) to give them even a simple overview / understanding of why they are trying to reduce plastic usage?

I like your question as to whether 7 Eleven has explained to staff in straightforward language as to the idea behind this.

If they have any literature in all the branches, I'll sure someone will try to get me to eat a non-bio-degradable plastic bag.

When I buy a bottle of milk, I always tell the staff I don't want a plastic bag. Once, I was slightly slow in telling the cashier. She had her hand on a plastic bag inside the pack of hundreds. When I told her, she still pulled the brand new plastic bag out of the pack, and threw it straight into the bin.

Staff have never asked me if I want a plastic bag when making a single item purchase. Are there any branches which are proactive in asking customers this question - as 7 Eleven claim?

I'd like to think there are but don't hold out much hope.

Anyone?

Edited by bluesofa
  • Like 1

Around here the bags are tied to barb wire fence so the livestock can see it.what a sorry looking countryside it looks and they all get blown off from time to time.makro has the best idea.decent bags you have to buy or nothing.ive yet to have come across a makro bag littering a soi.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

the founder of 7-Eleven in Thailand, said that CP All has initiated the project to encourage the public to reduce and stop plastic bags since 2007. 

Well, I  guess that was one boardroom initiative that never filtered down to the sales staff. I take a Makro bag with me to 7 and they STILL try to put items into a plastic bag, then into my re-usable bag...........:crazy:

• Haha 1

They should immediately put a sign in BOLD Thai and probably English, Chinese and Russian next to the straws that just says something simple like “Staff will no longer be including straws” probably can reduce straw use in half in one week.  Really if they try to slip 3 straws for one beer after that we can just point to the sign. How many of us have a lifetime straw collection at home or in the car? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alex8912 said:

They should immediately put a sign in BOLD Thai and probably English, Chinese and Russian next to the straws that just says something simple like “Staff will no longer be including straws” probably can reduce straw use in half in one week.  Really if they try to slip 3 straws for one beer after that we can just point to the sign. How many of us have a lifetime straw collection at home or in the car? 

I just simply refuse them. Quite easy really.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Throatwobbler said:

I just simply refuse them. Quite easy really.

Yes but the girl gets them in the bag so fast , then she has to dig through everything to get them out and the people in the line up behind start moaning and by that time you think ,its just a few straws.....its a daily beat down out their..

• Thanks 1

Went grocery shopping at Tops last Saturday and filled up a big push cart to the brim....usual things meat groceries etc....then went to check out long lines! Asked why it’s so slow as many people were waiting and frustrated....ummh?

guess what Tops “First day of the month”....they don’t give out or supply plastic bags for customers!!!

no warning or staff telling you this at the entrance....no after one(1) hour of time wasted then tel say “oh sorry no bags today...1st day of month.

left cart at check out and I checked out!!

kinda crazy w NO warning!

• Like 2
  • Sad 2