Electric bills set to increase from January 

webfact

15 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Maaate...

My last bill here (Australia) $227.30..(3 months)

My last bill in Thailand..3,800 baht per month..

Running basic appliances-tho' one small air conditioner in Thailand.

Without the added frisson of power blackouts and no water on a weekly basis.

Comparable size unit (apartment)

Better quality food-about the same price.

Maybe you had gas or solar water or solar panels in Oz, mate. Maybe you didn't use much power, but I've contacted 3 mates in Brisbane who state that they haven't seen a power bill less than 300 bucks for years, except one guy with solar panels. And you must be using a lot of aircon to get 3500 bill here at this time of year, or running a laundry.

I just can't believe how you can bitch about power prices here compared to Australia.

Weird. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, cracker1 said:

But what is your per unit rate charged at each source ? That is the only relevant comparison that can be made.  

When I left Oz and paid my last power bill in Melbourne back in 2015, the unit rate was about 0.28 cents per kwh, probably close to 0.40 cents per kwh now. 

Edited by Oztruckie

20 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

Can I ask why on earth electricity is priced differently in different areas of the country?

A good question. I have no idea how they work it out. I also may more per kWh the more I use.

11 minutes ago, tropo said:

A good question. I have no idea how they work it out. I also may more per kWh the more I use.

But that's the way it works, usage costs are banded with the very low usage being free, under 150 units I believe and then an upwards scale from there...most average residential appear to be around baht 4.50 per unit but condo. blocks are most often rated as a single building with just one meter serving the entire building which is why the costs are often so high, many condo's are considered to be factories in terms of usage. Here's a document from the BOI that sets out the costs and the way the charging system works: https://www.boi.go.th/index.php?page=utility_costs

Edited by simoh1490
  • Thanks 1

On 11/9/2018 at 12:46 PM, Odysseus123 said:

I just  calculated...

My Thai bill against my  Aussie bill.

As posters may or may not realize there is a heck of a lot of controversy about the cost in Oz of energy..and rightly so..

Nevertheless my  Aussie bill is smaller and that does not take into account the numerous blackouts sustained under Thailand 4.0.

Forget about the useless water supply..

At the moment it stands at Australia..7,500 baht per 3 months..

Thailand-4,200 baht per one month.

Guid losh!  Just got my bill, 1,068 baht for the month, and I run the AC pretty much 24/7. except when my little baht watcher waan jai is visiting and shuts it off when we go out. ☺️
Most of my US friends seem to think we have a great bargain.
Been years since I paid an electric bill there, as my cabin is off grid with solar panels, but I recall regular bills i the $70.00 range in the early 1990's when I was renting a bedsitter in CT.
"Average Monthly Electrical Bill by State – Updated Data. According to latest release from the U.S. Department of Energy – Energy Information Administration (EIA), the average residential monthly electric bill was $110.21 in 2013."
That was, using current exchange rate, (see puns above ????) 3,064 baht five years ago.
Sounds like you have a real bargain in Oz, but by US standards we get it cheap here in Thailand.

YESSSS!!!

I’ve been moaning about this for years. 

We lived in Perth and Bunbury, used Reverse Cyle Air Conditioners, as necessary, had Two Large Refrigerators and a Large Freezer, Gas Stoves, as we do here in Thailand, so very similar situation.

The Electricity Price Per Unit WAS much less than it is here in Thailand.

Our Electricity Bills came in every TWO Months. 

Here in CNX they turn-up every Month. The MONTHLY Bill in CNX is on average about the SAME as what we had every TWO MONTHS in Oz.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nasa123 said:

To those who only complain and complain you are free to travel to anotzher country that is cheaper, and do not forget you are only guests in Thailand.

Ha Ha way to go nasa man spoken like a rocket scientist. How original, no-one has ever come out with anything like that before. ????????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, rott said:

Ha Ha way to go nasa man spoken like a rocket scientist. How original, no-one has ever come out with anything like that before. ????????

Was wondering how long before the "you can always leave" card would be played. Wasn't disappointed.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

Can I ask why on earth electricity is priced differently in different areas of the country?

It isn't. The per KWh price varies dependant upon how much you use. So peoples overall total price/KWh varies with use. 

An excerpt from the MEA site

Note ..exclusive of Ft and Tax

MEA Price.jpg

Edited by ThaidDown
add
  • Thanks 1

before thinking about charging more money, you'd think they'd try to improve reliability, a week ago we had 6 power outages in a single day, the longest was for 5 hours.

I know that Thais are experts in sodding things up, but there has to be a limit surely?

4 hours ago, Oztruckie said:

When I left Oz and paid my last power bill in Melbourne back in 2015, the unit rate was about 0.28 cents per kwh, probably close to 0.40 cents per kwh now. 

Impossible. That would be $2.80 (65 baht) for a 1000 kWh bill. Perhaps you meant 28 cents/kWh... which would have made it about 50% higher than in Thailand.

9 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

before thinking about charging more money, you'd think they'd try to improve reliability, a week ago we had 6 power outages in a single day, the longest was for 5 hours.

I know that Thais are experts in sodding things up, but there has to be a limit surely?

In Alaska, power rates were very high. Up to about 5 years agao, outages were common. That sucks in the winter,

1 hour ago, Torrens54 said:

YESSSS!!!

I’ve been moaning about this for years. 

We lived in Perth and Bunbury, used Reverse Cyle Air Conditioners, as necessary, had Two Large Refrigerators and a Large Freezer, Gas Stoves, as we do here in Thailand, so very similar situation.

The Electricity Price Per Unit WAS much less than it is here in Thailand.

Our Electricity Bills came in every TWO Months. 

Here in CNX they turn-up every Month. The MONTHLY Bill in CNX is on average about the SAME as what we had every TWO MONTHS in Oz.

Perth is subtropical, way down on the 32nd parallel. To make a fair comparison, you'd have to live in Darwin. I never needed aircon in SE Queensland, (a bit more tropical than Perth), so no comparison would be meaningful. 

14 hours ago, MekkOne said:

look dude, the rate now is pretty much 4.30 THB, if you rise of 4.3 SETANG is going to 4.35 and I believe the rise it's about 1.15%... Don't really know where you have studied math...

government rate is not 4.50. l Own 3 condos. 3.90 is government rate on my wife's home 4.50 is marked up now go away

10 minutes ago, Media1 said:

government rate is not 4.50. l Own 3 condos. 3.90 is government rate on my wife's home 4.50 is marked up now go away

If you say so, but then please explain why the other day I paid 2837.62 Baht for 624 Kwh.

I have my own house, nobody marks me up

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cmsally said:

I managed to reduce my  power bills considerably by changing light bulbs to the most power saving version and outdoor lighting to solar. I reckon a bit more solar lighting and I can offset the difference.

Big fridges as l have soak up the power. But if you want fresh meat its worth every Baht

Edited by Media1

5 hours ago, Bill Miller said:

Guid losh!  Just got my bill, 1,068 baht for the month, and I run the AC pretty much 24/7. except when my little baht watcher waan jai is visiting and shuts it off when we go out. ☺️
Most of my US friends seem to think we have a great bargain.
Been years since I paid an electric bill there, as my cabin is off grid with solar panels, but I recall regular bills i the $70.00 range in the early 1990's when I was renting a bedsitter in CT.
"Average Monthly Electrical Bill by State – Updated Data. According to latest release from the U.S. Department of Energy – Energy Information Administration (EIA), the average residential monthly electric bill was $110.21 in 2013."
That was, using current exchange rate, (see puns above ????) 3,064 baht five years ago.
Sounds like you have a real bargain in Oz, but by US standards we get it cheap here in Thailand.

No bargains in Oz. Power In the US, cheaper than there. 

6 minutes ago, Media1 said:
42 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

If you say so, but then please explain why the other day I paid 2837.62 Baht for 624 Kwh.

I have my own house, nobody marks me up

it changes based on KW usage. Google it. lt varies

But just 2 post ago you said that 4.50 is NOT government rate, without knowing what the usage of that particular poster is, and coincidental my GOVERNMENT rate is exactly that. 4.50 Baht

So what will it be, wriggling your words until you are always right?

10 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

But just 2 post ago you said that 4.50 is NOT government rate, without knowing what the usage of that particular poster is, and coincidental my GOVERNMENT rate is exactly that. 4.50 Baht

So what will it be, wriggling your words until you are always right?

Correct at my condo the management sell on the electric a little higher. Our house is direct connection to government. 

3 hours ago, HalfLight said:

Move somewhere else. In Udon, 3 ks from central Plaza, I've lost power 3 times in the wet season, for maybe a total of 4 hours. I can wear that.

When I worked far west in QLD, we sometimes lost power for 2 to 3 days due to storms and floods. Aussies don't usually stuff infrastructure up, but when you're out In the sticks, bad things happen.