Looking for decent quality drill and bits

narkeddiver

Hi,

I’m looking at buying a decent quality battery powered drill and a selection of bits (I’m particularly interested in a hole cutter bit)

I’m not a diy expert so for me Black & Decker is decent quality 

Is Home Pro the best option or are there other, better stores that I could try?

Thanks in advance

There's a Makita store not far from airport plaza almost? opposite the CalTex station.....It's a trusted brand.....

HomePro does have some bits....

The big Nana Screw store has good quality stuff - might be some bits there - not sure about the power tool brands they offer.....

Better to stay with a name brand, although there could be some good brands out there only the Thais would know....

7 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

I bought below from HomPro a couple months ago and very happy with quality (especially for the price charged).  About 3,300 for Bosch GSB 120-LI with 2 batteries and case and 460 baht for basic bit set.

image for BOSCH GSB120-Li 12V Cordless Impact Drill from homepro.co.th

image for BOSCH X-Line SET 33 EA DRILL BIT from homepro.co.th

Nice looking unit.....

How many volts? I brought a B&D 18v from the states & use a convertor to charge but both batteries are old now & it costs more to replace than a new set would cost.....

BOSCH GSB120-Li 12V Cordless Impact Drill

• Made from high quality materials. Resistant to continuous use.
  • Designed to fit people who want to use the screws to tighten the nuts.
  • It is a model that uses lithium-ion batteries.
  • Two batteries for continuous use.
  • 2 Speed Hi / Lo
  • Can be used with heavy work. Have a lot of work And the continuous.
  • Increased flexibility with rubber handle. Helps to capture better. And light weight.
  • Built-in LED for illumination in dark places

Technical information

• Power supply 12 v
  • Maximum torque of 28 Nm
  • Speed Hi 0 1,300 rpm
  • Speed Lo 0 430 rpm
  • Maximum drilling capacity 6 mm
  • Maximum penetration of 19 mm

suggestion

• Check the integrity of the device before use.
  • After use, wipes should be used.
  • For safety, always use protective equipment before use.

* For more information, please contact CALL CENTER at Tel. 1284.

Material: Grade A PLASTIC
Width: 21 cm
Color: Blue / Black
Weight: 1.1 kg
Height: 19 cm
Depth: 7 cm
Usage: USE FOR DRILL ONLY
Power: 12 v
Drill bits size (mm.): 10
Energy sources: Battery
Adjustment (Yes / No): yes

block-feature-01-icon.png

block-next-icon.png
block-feature-02-icon.png

block-next-icon.png
block-feature-03-icon.png

block-next-icon.png

Recommend 18volts or greater and also try and get one that includes a 'hammer' function which is handy for drilling through harder materials. Global House will likely have the largest selection but Homepro is a decent choice if more convenient.

In my opinion if you require a hammer drill best to forget battery operation and use cord - above is impact type drill and will drill in most cement blocks, walls and such - but if you need to drill support beams or full time you are likely to want a corded dedicated hammer drill.

Initially I was only looking for something lightweight as I’m putting a few holes in my desk for cable management

The discussion around using a hammer action drill to go through tougher materials has got me thinking though as I may be putting up some blinds for a window down the road and the bricks in the wall have too many cavities to put the anchor screws into with any certainty so a heavier duty drill may well be in order if I have to use the support beam

57 minutes ago, narkeddiver said:

Initially I was only looking for something lightweight as I’m putting a few holes in my desk for cable management

The discussion around using a hammer action drill to go through tougher materials has got me thinking though as I may be putting up some blinds for a window down the road and the bricks in the wall have too many cavities to put the anchor screws into with any certainty so a heavier duty drill may well be in order if I have to use the support beam

I just put up a shelf with six anchors, using a corded 399 THB hammer drill from BigC.  Got the Sony on the wall, too.  I did have a nice black and Decker, from bath and beyond that was 1450, four years ago, with a nice bit set, and cases...sold it for 850, when I moved.  Recently, bought a Hyundai for 999 at Gnome Throw, and the handle broke the second time I used it...actually got a refund..I thought the 399 was crap, but that was only because I had hit an I-beam...but the 399 with a nice carbide tip masonry bit goes right into the condo walls.  Got a nice pair of safety glasses for 20 THB at Mr. DIY...decent store.  Almost all of it is made in China...

Nana Screw is ok, but nothing is priced...annoys the crap out of me, but I recall them saying their bigger store is outside the Moat.

Here is the Bosch for 2850 at Lazada...not 100% sure it comes with two batteries, but worth a look..https://www.lazada.co.th/products/bosch-gsr-120-li-gsr120-li-i8446038-s10613754.html?ef_id=:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!3152!3!286179630377!!!u!295891878649!&s_kwcid=AL!3152!3!286179630377!!!u!!__EFKW__&exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:1498579383!58089999096!!!pla-295891878649!m!295891878649!10613754!120277817&utm_source=google&utm_medium=sem_non_brand&utm_content=295891878649_10613754_120277817&utm_campaign=1498579383&utm_term=58089999096_m_pla-295891878649&adjust_tracker=t2v78t_5n20iw&adjust_campaign=1498579383&adjust_adgroup=58089999096_m_pla-295891878649&adjust_creative=295891878649_10613754_120277817&tracker_limit=1000000&gclid=CjwKCAiA_ZTfBRBjEiwAN6YG4b73kMVm3vcdHQimZ-Jw4JMxX2aJMhBPwu6B5u6sLKY8h8-CApNzcBoCGysQAvD_BwE

8 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

There's a Makita store not far from airport plaza almost? opposite the CalTex station.....It's a trusted brand.....

HomePro does have some bits....

The big Nana Screw store has good quality stuff - might be some bits there - not sure about the power tool brands they offer.....

Better to stay with a name brand, although there could be some good brands out there only the Thais would know....

The Makita shop is only a showroom...there is nothing for sale there and they will just send you to thr big box stores.

However if you show a bit of interest in something you will walk out with some free makita keyrings and notebooks which are excellent

1 minute ago, Different said:

Those kind of ignorant uneducated white trash Brits who voted to leave EU, when asked pound plunged 30% after the vote they would scream in your face so what?  God bless Germany the best white race civilized nation so far.

Wrong topic mate.

This one is about tools ... Oh

Lots of real crappy power tools out there so at the least stick to a brand you have heard of.

By far the top two names for power tools are Makita and Bosch. Most pro tradesmen will put Makita ahead.

The problem here, is the Bosch tools are way overpriced and thats a pity.

For Thais they would tend to use Maktec which is the Makita brand using their next best components.

For cordless drills there are some very nice models, after a lot of playing about and research I went for the yellow Stanley and 18v beast that can drive screws into steel for two hours non stop.

Dont expect a 12v drill to last very long at all before it needs recharging.

At 18v i paid around 3800bt it was excellent value but of course you buy a tool for what you think you need it for and how often.

I agree with Lop that if you want a hammer action to use a corded drill or buy a purpose cordless hammer drill of which Makita have some real mean machines.

Dont get tools from Global, they are surprisingly not the cheapest and also their stock doesnt carry the latest models sold Unlike HP and TW.

If you catch it right Home Pro can actually be thr cheapest.

For some brands that originally came from the States like DeWalt and tools for pros then try the toolmart on Hang Dong road, they are also registered Makita agents.

7 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

In my opinion if you require a hammer drill best to forget battery operation and use cord - above is impact type drill and will drill in most cement blocks, walls and such - but if you need to drill support beams or full time you are likely to want a corded dedicated hammer drill.

Agree with that. I've done lots of jobs around the house that I could never have completed without a hammer drill and good quality masonry drill bits.

Battery powered seems convenient at first, but getting half way through a job and having the battery die on you is a real bummer. Go for corded.

I have a B & D but all the best known makes are available here and drills are like everything life. The more you pay, the better they are. Global House and Thai Watsadu both have plenty of choices.

Archived