Eyes turn to Council of State as legalisation of marijuana hits snag

rooster59

Eyes turn to Council of State as legalisation of marijuana hits snag

By THE NATION WEEKEND

03dca9542eb19282fe8eeb90cc954d29.jpeg

Photo from: www.facebook.com/Dr.Somyot

THE NARCOTICS Control Committee will seek further input before deciding whether to reclassify marijuana, which is now a prohibited narcotic, to enable its use for medical purposes.

“We have resolved to consult the Council of State first,” the committee’s chairman Pisit Sriprasert said on Friday, after emerging from the committee’s meeting. 

Until yesterday, it was widely believed that the committee – which is attached to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) – would agree to reclassify marijuana into a less-controlled drug category so that it could be used for patients just like morphine. 

Various government figures are viewed as keen to legalise medical marijuana. According to several doctors, marijuana can be used to manage pain from nerve damage and cancer, nausea from chemotherapy and loss of appetite among HIV patients. It is also helpful for seizures and chronic neuro-inflammation.

Efforts to push for legalisation have been ongoing on various fronts in recent months, including a proposal for the FDA to reclassify marijuana. 

But yesterday’s Narcotics Control Committee meeting fell short of making a decision, and instead chose to seek the opinions of the Council of State before deciding on the proposed marijuana reclassification next month. 

“Committee members support the idea of using marijuana for medical purposes, but legal experts on the committee suggest that we should consult the Council of State in regards to legality and other committee members agreed,” said Pisit, who is also a deputy permanent secretary for Public Health Ministry. 

FDA secretary-general Dr Tares Krassanairawiwong said his agency would move quickly to seek input from the Council of State, so the committee could then make a decision while taking into account the council’s opinion.

With the FDA reclassification now stalled, other approaches may take the lead in the effort to legalise marijuana for medical purposes. 

Earlier this past week, the National Legislative Assembly (NLA) prepared a short bill to legalise medical marijuana. The bill only has 17 articles, so it is expected to require only a short period of deliberation.

There is a possibility that the NLA may be able to clear the bill next month. 

Deputy Prime Minister and Justice Minister ACM Prajin Juntong met with Public Health Minister Dr Piyasakol Sakolsatayadorn on Friday to discuss the bill. 

“We will present the bill on Tuesday for the Cabinet to consider and approve,” Prajin said. 

He added that the bill would then be submitted to the NLA for deliberation. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30358265

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-11-10

28 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

But yesterday’s Narcotics Control Committee meeting fell short of making a decision

In Thailand a committee can be formed in the blink of an eye. Any decision forthcoming from that committee could take years or decades.

A committee is a gravy train so reasons can usually be found so as not to bring it to a halt and terminate the financial rewards and other benefits that come from being on it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Oziex1 said:

Does any one here really believe this is about health,  this is of course about the health of the bank accounts of the already very rich. 

Also, should it become legal does it mean a free for all, a recreational use binge?

The government are looking for ways to make money out of this, that's a certainty. Recreational use is a long way off here, but, it is a step in the right direction. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Oziex1 said:

Does any one here really believe this is about health,  this is of course about the health of the bank accounts of the already very rich. 

Also, should it become legal does it mean a free for all, a recreational use binge?

The government are looking for ways to make money out of this, that's a certainty. Recreational use is a long way off here, but, it is a step in the right direction. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Oziex1 said:

In answer to your question, would more people gamble if it became legal? No. The weed smokers smoke, regardless of the law and making it legal is only going to shut a corruption door for the BIB. Other terrible things would happen, like tourist numbers going through the roof and the government would make so much money, they wouldn't know what to do with it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, geronimo said:

In answer to your question, would more people gamble if it became legal? No. The weed smokers smoke, regardless of the law and making it legal is only going to shut a corruption door for the BIB. Other terrible things would happen, like tourist numbers going through the roof and the government would make so much money, they wouldn't know what to do with it.

OK, my comment may have been a bit breif and didn't communicate my thought on this.  I agree legalisation may not lead to more people taking it up.  What I was thinking was there seems to be the idea that the legalisation for medical use also gives the green light to recreational use, this remains to be seen.  I support the medical and recreational use of the drug,  however is Thai society mature enough to deal with it. 

6 minutes ago, Blue bruce said:

The one's who disapprove have watched the 1920's movie REEFER MADNESS too many times

For sure.

The 1936 film Reefer Madness has become a classic comedy... although it wasn't intended that way.

Only an imbecile would take it seriously.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Oziex1 said:

OK, my comment may have been a bit breif and didn't communicate my thought on this.  I agree legalisation may not lead to more people taking it up.  What I was thinking was there seems to be the idea that the legalisation for medical use also gives the green light to recreational use, this remains to be seen.  I support the medical and recreational use of the drug,  however is Thai society mature enough to deal with it. 

"...is Thai society mature enough to deal with it [?]"

That's a patronizing and ultimately clueless question.

Were you here in the 1970s when ganja was as easy to get and readily available as beer?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JingerBen said:

"...is Thai society mature enough to deal with it [?]"

That's a patronizing and ultimately clueless question.

Were you here in the 1970s when ganja was as easy to get and readily available as beer?

Being easy to get doesn't make it OK for all, just look at the problems caused by the easy access to alcohol. I'm yet to be convinced that the Thai's have what it takes to make an informed choice on this issue. Looks too much like a rush to cash in. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Oziex1 said:

Being easy to get doesn't make it OK for all, just look at the problems caused by the easy access to alcohol. I'm yet to be convinced that the Thai's have what it takes to make an informed choice on this issue. Looks too much like a rush to cash in. 

There isn't a day that goes by without me seeing something on mainstream media about ganga, which will eventually change the uninformed person's attitude towards it. Recreational use is a long way off, and I heard that many top level government people have relatives with cancer and this is making things happen a lot faster than normal.

• Thanks 1

I have neuropathic (nerve) pain. It is pretty awful and nothing much works well although a couple of very expensive agents from the west bring some limited relief. I am anxious to try marijuana if it becomes legal. I used some once in the States and it really helped ease the pain so I got a good night's sleep. I will be very happy if we get it here.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, HappyAndRich said:

Good, they take their time to make the decision. Hope it gets a big no no. I actually thought Thailand could stand it´s ground in this case, and not do like other countries just out of populism for another drug to use. Don´t bother! Not going to answer or reply all the drug lovers.

So neurosurgeon Dr Sanjay Gupta is stupid....and you are a "stable genius"?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An interesting thought,

What would happen to the crime figures if Thailand made weed legal?

Personally, I think you'd see a sharp drop, which has been the case in Every location where it became legal.

Only one person (to my knowledge) was killed by marijuana. Poor guy got hit by a large bale that was thrown out of a plane! Bearing in mind the numbers of people who die from alcohol use, if the powers that be really want to reduce the number of deaths here, recreational weed would surely have a positive effect.

• Thanks 1