Central American migrants resume their march towards U.S. border

webfact

Central American migrants resume their march towards U.S. border

By Hannah McKay

2018-11-11T002707Z_1_LYNXNPEEAA00I_RTROPTP_4_USA-IMMIGRATION-CARAVAN.JPG

Migrants, part of a caravan of thousands traveling from Central America en route to the United States, queue to board a bus as they make their way to Queretaro from Mexico City, Mexico, November 10, 2018. REUTERS/Hannah McKay

QUERETARO, Mexico (Reuters) - Hundreds of Central American migrants resumed their march north through Mexico on Saturday, en route to the U.S. border where President Donald Trump has effectively suspended the granting of asylum to migrants who cross illegally.

Trump's Friday order, which went into effect on Saturday, means that migrants will have to present themselves at U.S. ports of entry to qualify for asylum and follow other rules unveiled on Thursday that seek to limit asylum claims.

"It doesn't matter what rules (Trump's) government imposes we cannot go back to our countries. I have a bullet in my arm and another in my shoulder. If I go back home, it'd be better for me to go with a casket," said 30 year-old Julio Caesar from Honduras, who declined to give his last name.

The caravan, made up mostly of Hondurans, started north again on Saturday morning following a rest of four days in Mexico City.

They carried backpacks, blankets, food, many with children in tow, and took the metro and then walked to the town of Tepotzotlan. There they were helped onto buses and trucks by authorities, who stopped traffic to ask motorists if they would take the migrants to the city of Queretaro, where a shelter was set up at a stadium.

Some of the migrants are set to arrive to the border city of Tijuana on Monday, while others later in the week to Reynosa and other border towns, according to migrant shelters.

"These (U.S.) policies leave migrants even more vulnerable, because they will be stranded in northern Mexico, with human traffickers lurking, because the Mexican government does not have the capacity to help them," said Oscar Misael Hernandez, researcher at the Colegio de la Frontera Norte.

Trump made his hard-line policies toward immigration a key issue ahead of Tuesday's midterm elections. He has vowed to deploy troops at the border to stop a caravan of migrants, who say they want to seek asylum in the United States, citing violence in their own countries.

(Additional reporting by Lizbeth Diaz in Mexico City; Writing by Anthony Esposito; Editing by Marguerita Choy)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-11-12
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, milwaukeeboy said:

The US government should stop giving away free shit to illegal immigrants until they get their own house and runaway debt in order. (IMHO)

Won't happen because refugee resettlement and asylee placement is big business.

Edited by sukhumvitneon
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Economic migrants hoping to short cut the normal immigration procedures. How many in your picture really meet the criteria for asylum one wonders?

You might as well just keep wondering, because that's why we have an asylum process.  Just let the process work.  My post was in response to somebody who thought these people pose a threat requiring the intervention of the most powerful and heavily armed military force on the planet.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, milwaukeeboy said:

The US government should stop giving away free shit to illegal immigrants until they get their own house and runaway debt in order. (IMHO)

I guess that qualifies me as a right-wing racist Nazi and hater, hey?

Or maybe the media is forgetting that there are national borders and laws in place which they are trying to undermine with propaganda.

The media doesn't care anymore. The midterm elections are over.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Longcut said:

The media doesn't care anymore. The midterm elections are over.

Does that include Trump?  Because he is his own media spokesperson via Twitter, on average ten times a day.   Does Trump not care about it any more?

30 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Just come in legally, that's all.

They've not even reached the border yet, so what problem is that supposed to be the solution for?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Oh no Donald here comes those lactating latina mommies fleeing violence and hardship call the marines nuke sandiego to save the rest of the country holey cow its an invasion omg!!!really,interview the refugees if the clame  is bogus send them home if not integrate them stop giving the USA a black eye 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, aircarepilot said:

because the way US policy is right now, they get interviewed, let loose, then disappear into the various communities

Then they come back for their asylum interview/hearing.  How would you change this policy, and for what reason?

In response to aircarpilot over the years I’ve known many south Americans I had the privilege of attending primary school for 1 year in Mexico i from personal experience I have found them to be hard working family orentated just the kind of people we need Donald is fear mongering no more no less 

Ps a presidents duty is to uphold the constitution our present occupant does his level best to get around it he does his best to devide not unify he stabs our allies in the back he attacks children he insults pows attacks gold star family’s sucks up to dictators and despots disparages out instutitions does his best to seed the thease institutions with people that will be loyal to him not the constitution is careless about security but attacks others for some perciced transgression I could go on and on oh let’s not forget he is a pathological liar yup that’s our donald

30 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Errr does California need more forest fire fighters? Maybe house carpenters in the future?

No. They have plenty of inmates... just need to train more!

https://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/14/california-is-paying-inmates-1-an-hour-to-fight-wildfires.html&ved=2ahUKEwjm1dOU2NDeAhVZWH0KHQO5C2oQFjAAegQIABAB&usg=AOvVaw3XDhsHk3i9-f1IPnWhLujW&cshid=1542088739923

On 11/12/2018 at 2:56 PM, milwaukeeboy said:

I guess that qualifies me as a right-wing racist Nazi and hater, hey?

Or maybe the media is forgetting that there are national borders and laws in place which they are trying to undermine with propaganda.

Agree no money or help for them instead give it to the California Fire relief fund ! Build American homes for the  American fire victims displaced . Over 8 thousand homes lost!

Edited by riclag

2 hours ago, riclag said:

no money or help for them instead give it to the California Fire relief fund !

How do you feel about $200 million that has been spent on sending the military to help any immigrants who might reach the border?  That's money that could have been spent on fire fighting.

• Like 1