Farang washing cars to make a living - says he's making 6,000 baht a day!

webfact

15 hours ago, warrima said:

<deleted> 6K a day..................................sorry to hijack this post peeps but i need some advice. Im thinking of starting a car wash business.

Need a partner??, I am short so I can get the low places easily enough - recommend we hire some of the Bikini clad girls to wash cars you see on late night TV show  "Sexy Car Wash"

• Like 1

On 11/12/2018 at 7:34 PM, cleverman said:

As to him cheating the tax man, you are all so off beam. His wife has a business and he helps out, for free. That does not affect his OAP. 

I think it does because it takes away a job from a Thai person...........he can teach car washing and detailing but without touching the car, only directing the Thais in the art of car washing.   As many have said, its only a Matter of time when we see the title  "Car Washing Farang deported for working Illegally"   and at his age, that would not be a good thing  -  If anyone knows him, advise him please.:wai:   A popular long term Belgique guy in "Na-Kona Some-Where" close to Pattaya was deported for working behind the bar,  incriminating evidence was FB pics of him serving Beer and Mixing drinks.........his lady boy ex-lover turned him in, that place was closed for about five years.

On 11/12/2018 at 7:48 PM, Retiredandhappyhere said:

"Overlooked by the law"?    My word, you are an optimist.  If  the work permit situation is overlooked, as you suggest might happen, someone in uniform will soon be round for their cut.  Also, after hearing of the alleged revenue, a copy-cat Thai will be opening an identical business nearby within the next day or so.  

When my ex-wife opened a coffee shop, against my advice, in a small village and initially seemed to be doing quite well, a neighbour opened up another one in competition just across the road, thereby making sure that neither could possibly be profitable.  She lasted about four months, having spent a lot of investment cash in her business, whereas my ex-wife's business survived but still does little more than get by.

I always say "In Thailand Business" - choose somthing no one else is doing, and keep your business strategy a secret.  Never reveal your source of materials, ingredients, recipes, vendors etc etc etc  -  time and time again some thing like your post happens and usually fails.  Wish luck in your wifes endeavor - the key to good business in Thailand is to offer somthing no one else has - like not only Coffee, but Smoothies, cheap special breakfast or lunch meals.  In a small place it will catch on..............I had corner place in Pattaya 1972-1976 - I only sold American Hot Dogs and Ice Cold Beer, American Music........no, I didn't get rich, but made twenty times my US Army pay a month.  Everyone knew where they could get American Hot Dogs in Pattaya on what is now called Walking street.  I sold it to another American for ten times what I paid for it...........No one knew how or where I could get American hotdogs........had them flown in from Japan.........in those days it was cheap enough.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Need a partner??, I am short so I can get the low places easily enough - recommend we hire some of the Bikini clad girls to wash cars you see on late night TV show  "Sexy Car Wash"

No, no, you have it wrong.  You let the bikini girls bend over to get to the low places.  You just stay close to their behinds, I mean behind them. 

On 11/12/2018 at 12:50 PM, thequietman said:

Most likely on retirement - so no WP.

How dumb do you have to be to let this go national and pose for photo's.

There may be trouble ahead.

On a retirement visa, I was under the impression you are not allowed to work for money - only voluntary work with official approval.

23 hours ago, giddyup said:

Wrong! Australia has nothing like the UK system. It makes no difference in Oz whether you work all your life or have been unemployed, everyone is entitled to the same amount of aged pension, which is means tested and may be reduced according to your income from other sources. To qualify you have to be living in Australia for I believe a minimum of 10 years, but to get the full pension it's 35 years.

Wrong! Australia has nothing like the UK system. 

In which case I stand corrected!

On 11/12/2018 at 12:46 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Oh dear... Yes, the Work Permit question has probably sprung straight to everyones mind along with the thought that this may not be the publicity he wants... 

I hope he is work permitted - in which case, excellent, otherwise I simply hope he is left alone to help with his Wife's business, let him get on with enjoying his life, he's harming no one. 

But, I can't help but wonder if some little entrepreneurial guy dressed in brown will recognize an opportunity...  or worse still, Immigration get wind of this and decide to do something about it. 

Hope he’s declaring his income to the presume Aust government wouldn’t be much left for any old age pension 

Oh dear... Yes, the Work Permit question has probably sprung straight to everyones mind along with the thought that this may not be the publicity he wants... 

I hope he is work permitted - in which case, excellent, otherwise I simply hope he is left alone to help with his Wife's business, let him get on with enjoying his life, he's harming no one. 

But, I can't help but wonder if some little entrepreneurial guy dressed in brown will recognize an opportunity...  or worse still, Immigration get wind of this and decide to do something about it. 

Hope he’s declaring his income to the presume Aust government wouldn’t be much left for any old age pension 

On 11/12/2018 at 12:32 PM, wgdanson said:

Work Permit?

If it's his business then he would have a business visa, not a work permit. I'm sure he did his homework

I believe the appropriate move would be to get a business visa, which covers him. 

On 11/15/2018 at 2:59 PM, Jonathan Swift said:

If it's his business then he would have a business visa, not a work permit. I'm sure he did his homework

I believe the appropriate move would be to get a business visa, which covers him. 

If you have a "business visa" as in a Non B you still need a work permit.

On 11/12/2018 at 1:06 PM, mercman24 said:

you stupid old man 6000 a day ? no way, i fear his working days are going to come to an abrupt end soon. should have kept under the radar, cant deny anything with photographic proof

I wonder if this dude is a member here on TV. Anyone here willing to own up to being this unlucky dude with all this national publicity? lol

1 minute ago, bbi1 said:

I wonder if this dude is a member here on TV. Anyone here willing to own up to being this unlucky dude with all this national publicity? lol

He is too smart to goof about here .. such is the level of members ?? what say you ? and that's saying something ey !  respects TD.

On 11/12/2018 at 1:11 PM, giddyup said:

I get my car washed locally in Pattaya for 100 baht, 140 baht if inside as well. How does he justify 300 baht a car? Of course out of that 6000 baht gross a day he has to pay the help (300 baht each) plus water, electric, soap etc.

Just like how there are massages you can get for 100-200 baht but with a bit more cash you can get a bit of "extra service" ???? Maybe he's offering a bit of "extra service" on top to justify an extra 200 baht.

• Haha 1

On 11/12/2018 at 6:26 PM, giddyup said:

It's been a requirement for some time to live in Australia for the 2 years before you reach pensionable age, or conversely, return to Australia at any time and do the 2 years. You haven't been singled out, that's part of meeting the criteria to get an aged pension.

Yup, got an Ozzie friend here in Thailand that recently found out about this. He just turned 65 and was ready to collect his pension so he’s had to leave his Thai wife here and return to Australia to “put in” his two years.

He’ll be able to come back here for occasional vacations but he’s got to put in his two years and play the game.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Billy Bloggs said:

I wasnt going to bother going back but thought stuff it they got enough of my money I would like a little back even though it will be well short of a full pension. Jan 15th next year is my entry date, I may write a blogg about the experience depending on how mad I get.

You do know that the Pollies dont actually support you with their money? It is the taxpayer who will be supporting you. 

Sounds like you dont really need it. 

Nice one mate.

50 minutes ago, Billy Bloggs said:

I wasnt going to bother going back but thought stuff it they got enough of my money I would like a little back even though it will be well short of a full pension. Jan 15th next year is my entry date, I may write a blogg about the experience depending on how mad I get.

Hey Billy, Public pension spending is only 3.5% of national income in Australia, compared with an average of over 7% of GDP in OECD countries”. That might deserve a mention in your blog. "SOURCE"

It needs detaching from "welfare" (Centrelink) - it needs the status of "entitlement" or "right". NOT a handout to the poor.  And it needs to rise to at least 5% ++ of GDP. We earned it mate - I NEVER touched base with centrelink until I retired... I too paid a small fortune in tax..

Edited by MalandLee
LINK ADDED
  • Like 1