More ‘wind and waves’ – Phoenix still at the bottom of the Andaman Sea

webfact

More ‘wind and waves’ – Phoenix still at the bottom of the Andaman Sea

By The Thaiger

S__118448173-1.jpg

The Phoenix, the boat that sank on July 5 off Phuket’s south west coast, causing the drowning of 47 Chinese tourists, remains 45 metres underwater as the new salvage team have little more success than the original salvage team who threw in the towel a week ago.

A Marine Police diver on site, Pol Lt Passakorn Sirichuchote, is quoted in the Bangkok Post saying… “We’ve encountered strong undercurrents. Rough seas were also on the surface.”

“We expect difficulties ahead but are still confident that the experience of the Singapore team would help us overcome the obstacles.”

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/more-wind-and-waves-phoenix-still-at-the-bottom-of-the-andaman-sea

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-11-13
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Soupdragon said:

We are approaching the time of the month when the currents will be very slack. 

If they get the crane on site quickly now is the time to attempt the lift.

No need to rush,the waters will be calm soon and it's a case of less haste more speed as the saying goes.try telling them that little gem.

5 hours ago, happy chappie said:

No need to rush,the waters will be calm soon and it's a case of less haste more speed as the saying goes.try telling them that little gem.

25 knots from the east is not calm waters. I hate the waters around chalong where the boat sank this time of year. Its bumpy and rough

Now west coast near shore is calmer but not where the boat is.

Its now or soon before its 25 knots for 3 months every day. If its the ocean surface thats the issue.

I think its more of a moronic situation really.

I hope thease guys are a professional company 150 feet is pretty deep limited bottom time and deep enough to get narked out hopefully using mixed gas and surface supply with a decompression chamber about the barge.also hoping they will be allowed  the time nessary to compleat the job safety good luck

To mr Cadbury sir I lost my step dad to this business I mysielf worked as a commercial diver for 34 years both in the harvest (abalone and sea eurchin)I spent the majority of my career working in the construction diving side.make no mistake this can be a deadly serious business let’s hope they get it done safely without further loss of life 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, quadperfect said:

25 knots from the east is not calm waters. I hate the waters around chalong where the boat sank this time of year. Its bumpy and rough

Now west coast near shore is calmer but not where the boat is.

Its now or soon before its 25 knots for 3 months every day. If its the ocean surface thats the issue.

I think its more of a moronic situation really.

25 knots for 3 months every day? 

A previous poster was correct, tides are getting less, now is the time. Next week under water currents will pick up again.

1 hour ago, Tug said:

To mr Cadbury sir I lost my step dad to this business I mysielf worked as a commercial diver for 34 years both in the harvest (abalone and sea eurchin)I spent the majority of my career working in the construction diving side.make no mistake this can be a deadly serious business let’s hope they get it done safely without further loss of life 

Thank you Tug. I appreciate what you say and understand. Must have been cold water you were in to harvest abalone and sea urchin? If you were in Southern Australian waters then Great Whites would also be a threat. I know what you talk about; not that I was a diver but I worked for one. 

I only make jest of the idiot showman who uses the opportunity to make a big man of himself for junta purposes. Fat chance of him putting his toe in the water.

Edited by Cadbury