Australian man, Thai wife sentenced to death in Thailand for drug smuggling

webfact

42 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

A sentence of death has been removed from the statute books of most civilised countries, though some have retained it for high treason (treason during time of war). China and the USA are (I think) the only first-world countries that retain it, though I may be mistaken about that. Both are fascist states in their different ways.

Barbaric and mediaeval, in my humble opinion, the death penalty is an admission that the state just doesn't know how to deal with some crimes. Besides, in Thailand way more executions are extra-judicial killings by police and soldiers than by judicial process. Barbaric? Yes. Mediaeval? Yes. Surpised? No, not at all, Thailand is a primitive society expressed by a superstitions and primitive culture.

Since 2008/9 there has been like 1 executions who took place last year if I’m not wrong.

singapore and Malaysia etc are much harder on drugs then Thailand and execute people often.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The traveler said:

Since 2008/9 there has been like 1 executions who took place last year if I’m not wrong.

singapore and Malaysia etc are much harder on drugs then Thailand and execute people often.

Fair enough, though I do not subscribe to the view that Thailand is OK because there are worse countries. It's not a good argument.

27 minutes ago, Cereal said:

"Bikie gang" ???? Yeah..........I'd just love for someone, anyone, to go up to a Hells Angel and say, "Can I join your bikie gang?"

That's a a$$ whupping coming up.

Heroes of yours are they? If one can't beat you there's probably another 10 ready to jump in.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Dave67 said:

I must say you have to admire their balls half a tonne of meth

As the saying goes....if your going to get hung for a lamb you might as well get hung for a sheep.if they had got away with this one the next shipment might of been a few tonnes.

25 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

As the saying goes....if your going to get hung for a lamb you might as well get hung for a sheep.if they had got away with this one the next shipment might of been a few tonnes.

Ahem, you have it wrong way about mate. It's actually 'hanged for a sheep as a lamb.' ('hanged' of course being the past tense of 'hang' as in executions.) The term 'hung' tends to apply to fortunate (and very happy) chaps such as myself. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

I suppose I agree, but to be consistent we would need to feel the same about the pharma companies. 

For example, where Marijuana was illegal, now that it's a commercial opportunity, wrapped up in corporate speak, everyone is OK with it. 

Up until the early 20h century heroin was legal in some countries, also, Coca Cola contained a trace of cocaine to give you a buzz.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sanemax said:

The Judge was just following sentencing guidelines and the judiciary system allows for appeals against the death sentence  

Too bad this didn't happen in Indonesia -- or Singapore.

Singapore's top diplomat in the UK, Michael Teo, defended Singapore's harsh drug laws by pointing to the country's lower rates for drug use.

"8.2% of the UK population are cannabis abusers; in Singapore, it is 0.005%. For ecstasy, the figures are 1.8% for the UK and 0.003% for Singapore; and for opiates—such as heroin, opium, and morphine - 0.9% for the UK and 0.005% for Singapore," claimed Teo. "We do not have traffickers pushing drugs openly in the streets, nor do we need to run needle exchange centres."

https://www.tripsavvy.com/drug-laws-in-singapore-1629780

Hang 'em high, me thinks. Certainly cuts down on repeaters.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UPDEHSOI said:

Wonder why they didn't split it up into four or five lots? Same same like they do shipping it into the States from South America ( and other countries ) One gets nabbed, the other three or four get through.

Maybe they did there might have been 2 tonnes to start with

8 hours ago, z42 said:

Which type of drugs Ezzra, only the ones you don't like I expect? So bar owners and restauranteurs the world over who dish up alcohol (arguably the most harmful drug of all) to their paying, willing customers have no place among normal everyday people then by your weird logic.

Obviously, the drug laws and sentencing guidelines in Asia for controlled drugs are insane, but who do you really think controls it all? Or allows a trade worth billions of dollars to flourish exactly?

From your comment it is evident that you know little about how the global drug trade operates, and are unable to distinguish different types of drugs based on their end use, and harm potential on the user and society at large. In short, get a clue mate.

About the OP, the 2 people sentenced to death knew the risks, and were stupid to get involved imho

Good post.

These two broke the 11th commandment.

Thou shalt not get caught.

8 hours ago, MalandLee said:

I have to say, thanks Thailand for thwarting the drug shipment, it would have devastated our young people in Australia.

agree. without transparent accountable chaun of custody and verified by independant observers destruction one can only wonder what will happen to the seizure.

27 minutes ago, atyclb said:

agree. without transparent accountable chaun of custody and verified by independant observers destruction one can only wonder what will happen to the seizure.

Agree but this is Thailand. I'm reminded of a case some years ago when police arrested  some people for drugs trading in the south. They found 6 (I think it was 6)  pipes full of money (presumably large bore 4m PVC water pipes but I don't have that level of detail). The police only declared 4 of the pipes full of money, saying they gave their informants 2 pipes of money as a 'reward'.

Action taken against the police? None. This is Thailand. Further action taken regarding the 'reward'. None, this is Thailand.

Best course of action: laugh, shake your head in amazement and have another beer, this is Thailand. Just don't ever again fall into the trap of thinking Thais are honest, because, to a man, they're not, especially those charged with enforcing the law, and it isn't going to change, whichj, on its own, will be sufficient to ensure that Thailand remains a tin-pot developing nation for as long as we live.

Edited by Frabato
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bangkok Ape said:

Are you drunk?

He's correct. Drugs are rampant in Thailand, it hasn't worked in the US either. The drug cartels are the ones winning.

Edited by giddyup

i can never understand what makes these people take such a risk. freedom is worth more than any amount of money, and if they are that brave then they could make money legit. its just stupidity. crazy people taking stupid risks with their life. just not worth it man. even the thought of being in a thai jail scares me, i spent 1 night after drink driving a moped (never to be done again) and that was bad enough let alone the big BKK prisons. i wont even be around people smoking a bit of weed nowadays, be smart and stay away from drugs in Thailand!!

15 hours ago, Frabato said:

...Just don't ever again fall into the trap of thinking Thais are honest, because, to a man, they're not...

Whilst I entirely agree with your assertion that dishonesty (corruption) permeates the entire law enforcement establishment ( although it is not universal - not every policeman is corrupt) I would argue that to accuse the entire population of being dishonest is "way over the top". I know, and have had dealings with many honest Thais. I have also encountered some dishonest westerners.

21 hours ago, Essaybloke said:

Ahem, you have it wrong way about mate. It's actually 'hanged for a sheep as a lamb.' ('hanged' of course being the past tense of 'hang' as in executions.) The term 'hung' tends to apply to fortunate (and very happy) chaps such as myself. 

Well I'm from the Deep South part of London and that's how we talk.i should of gone to school but it kept being burnt down and the teachers beaten up daily.in fact it was like a mexican jail but you wouldn't know that and were probably privately educated.im sorry about my disabilities in spelling and writing but you can take the piss all you want as I've grown to over come people like you.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:00 AM, Fex Bluse said:

I suppose I agree, but to be consistent we would need to feel the same about the pharma companies. 

For example, where Marijuana was illegal, now that it's a commercial opportunity, wrapped up in corporate speak, everyone is OK with it. 

But that's different, pharma companies are simply legalised drug suppliers , allowed in most cases to change what they like, as much as they can push into the market,  for what in many cases are very dubious drugs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1