Days after visit, Trump blasts France's Macron as relations sour

webfact

13 minutes ago, Cereal said:

it's little wonder Americans think poorly of France

Really? Can't say I've ever heard any Americans express such an opinion. For a second language, French and Spanish were my only options.

13 minutes ago, Cereal said:

can count on 1 hand the number of Americans that knew The Statue of Liberty was a gift from France.

Hmm, calling you out on this one. Taught in school, and anyone who has visited the Statue of Liberty - I'm old enough to have made it up to the torch - knows the provenance.

14 minutes ago, Roadman said:

but conveniently forget if it wasn't for the French they would be speaking English...the pure British form 

Give it up, everyone learns about the special relationship between France and the U.S.

But this thread is more about the president, right? He may be the only American so clueless?

Reading the American various media outlets, watching the news and countless TV shows, it's little wonder Americans think poorly of France. She is constantly on the sh!tty end of the stick. Few Americans know about the French underground resistance during WW2 and how big an effort it played.

I've been to 39 of the states in the USA over 100's of trips there and can count on 1 hand the number of Americans that knew The Statue of Liberty was a gift from France. It's astonishing how little they know about pretty much everything outside their microcosmic sphere.
Funny. The Americans I grew up with mostly knew all that. I agree many are very ignorant. Look at who Americans elected in 2016. But he only got a minority of voters to win and he was just massively repudiated recently. So don't give up hope for us just yet.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

Written by writers living in Paris, best write something the natives will like. France dislikes the USA and has at least since De Gaulle was in charge, nothing has changed with the French hatred of America. Macron wants a European Army to protect France against Russia, China, and the USA. Nothing wrong with wanting others to fight and die for you.

If you read, trump’s quote was out of context ???? we can say-get your head out of your...

5 hours ago, DoctorG said:

With Macron's approval rating of 29% perhaps he should try being a Nationalist rather than a Globalist.

You think Macron is in a beauty contest? You Americans may worship cheap popularity and celebrity. I prefer statesmanship, gravitas, good governance and yes altruism. Do you know the American word for altruism? There isn't one!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, DoctorG said:

You obviously have no idea about globalism. It does not benefit the country, only the super rich. 

Such naïveté. Ask Chinese, ask Indians. Look at the millions who have been lifted out of poverty or even starvation! 

What tosh! What unthinking selfishness!

• Like 2

Personally, I can't stand Macron and his old biddy wife.  He typifies French arrogance and cowardice.  Sucks up to Mutti Merkel and acts like a lost little boy.  He's been putting the boot in on Brexit, too.  He won't last another term.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, car720 said:

Not so much America I feel but Americans.

Then again the French aren't really fond of the English either.  :cheesy:

Sadly my brothers frequently don't understand panache, chic, savoir faire, sangfroid or even noblesse oblige....

Edited by Grouse
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, fanjita said:

Personally, I can't stand Macron and his old biddy wife.  He typifies French arrogance and cowardice.  Sucks up to Mutti Merkel and acts like a lost little boy.  He's been putting the boot in on Brexit, too.  He won't last another term.

Well thanks for that! Most up lifting!

Kir Royale?

Or don't peasants drink that?

Edited by Grouse
  • Like 1

Well if you are just going to accept approval ratings at face value then Trump's 38% shows how poor he is....right ?
Beyond that. "trump" is obviously in a deep funk now after the midterms. Looking for targets to bash even more than usual. Macron makes sense for that as he can delude himself that he has great approval ratings compared to Macron. It's similar to how moderately chubby people may enjoy being seen with the very obese.

• Haha 1

The Frogs always need a bit of a tune-up. They are torn between the heroics of waving a white flag and the cowardice of blowing up Greenpeace ships. The Vietnamese sorted them out and gave them the boot. Losers ever since Bonaparte left the scene.

Edited by Cadbury

Macron shouldn't take it personally. Big loser "trump" is in a sour mood about everything these days. White house staffers are avoiding Agent Orange. Who can blame them?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/11/14/trumps-post-election-rage-what-it-suggests-about-his-alternate-reality/

"Trump’s post-election rage, and what it suggests about his alternate reality

President Trump is in a sour mood — and apparently has been ever since his party suffered its worst House losses since Watergate last week. It started with him repeatedly snapping at reporters and continued during a trip to Europe, as The Post’s Josh Dawsey and Philip Rucker report in their must-read new story:"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grouse said:

Sadly my brothers frequently don't understand panache, chic, savoir faire, sangfroid or even noblesse oblige....

But they do understand …

220px-Order_of_the_Garter_01.jpg Arms of the Order of the Garter

Edited by Opl
  • Thanks 1