wife's daughter credit card debt

The daughter knew her mother married to a farang will save her. I would show her how wrong she is. Lack of respect . Don't be made a fool. Family will be laughing at you for years and expect this from you . I take care of my wifes parents only . I would never pay for stupid actions or spending. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Perhaps, but I'm an honest guy. If I borrow something, I'll give it back. Mind you, I don't have credit cards and never had any.

Cash is king.

This is not his debt. He is being asked to pay the debt of another.  I would not do it.  Let the daughter figure it out she had no problem spending the money. If the wife was pressing me to pay I would be a little distrustful of the wife. Don’t ever believe the credit card companies cannot find your daughter if they wanted to find her. The OP IMO does not have all the truth in front of him so OP just say no thanks to paying off any alleged debt of another. 

1 minute ago, Vacuum said:

Only if you let them. Don't use plastic money.

You have a point, but most people really need at least a debit card

for buying online which is becoming more normal now and lots of

shops are closing down.

37 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

You have a point, but most people really need at least a debit card

for buying online which is becoming more normal now and lots of

shops are closing down.

Forget that.  If one wants a credit score-- which is necessary for securing housing (renting), jobs, or loans, one needs a credit card or some other form of credit (loan, and if one doesn't need a loan, then one needs a credit card. I suppose it might be cheaper to get a low-interest generic loan, throw the money in your checking account, and just pay it back slowly?  I have no idea, haven't compared rates lately).  I never got one, thinking I was being responsible and avoiding trouble since I always heard about so many people ending up with huge bills (I don't buy things I don't have the money for except big things like my education and cars for which I've had loans)... now my credit score is crap (not terrible, but not good) because I simply have very little credit history (currently only student loan and a past small car loan or two), even though I've always paid my bills on time. 

Being "responsible" has made me look irresponsible (to those who use my credit score to judge my... trustworthiness and whatever else it is they judge), and once my student loan is paid off, I'm going to have to get a credit card, charge a couple bucks I don't actually need credit for on it every month and pay it back from money I've always had-- even better, I should do this with more than one card-- because you have to play the "credit" game to exist in this world (and then the credit companies, who you never authorized or wanted to collect and hold information about you, do their best to get your identity stolen by losing your info).

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I advocate not digging women who run up debts out of their self-dug pit, beyond the occasional 1,000bht in the morning and remind you of Briffault's Law.

My post really had nothing to do with  Briffault's Law of which I'm not wholly in agreement.

I was asking you about your morals  in light of your reply to vaccum's post about considering failure to pay akin to stealing.   I understand  based on your reply you to feel not paying a credit card debt is OK.   You specifically indicated you don't consider it stealing to not pay the debt.

Maybe your post can be chalked up to a flippant reply which is fine.    Maybe it's a position you'd choose to reconsider.    All good.

Credit cards can be dangerous.    Some people just can handle spending rationally.    I thank my lucky stars that's a problem I don't have.

45 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

My post really had nothing to do with  Briffault's Law of which I'm not wholly in agreement.

I was asking you about your morals  in light of your reply to vaccum's post about considering failure to pay akin to stealing.   I understand  based on your reply you to feel not paying a credit card debt is OK.   You specifically indicated you don't consider it stealing to not pay the debt.

Maybe your post can be chalked up to a flippant reply which is fine.    Maybe it's a position you'd choose to reconsider.    All good.

Credit cards can be dangerous.    Some people just can handle spending rationally.    I thank my lucky stars that's a problem I don't have.

only immature people who behave like children do. ive seen shed loads of them here all gone home skint.

8 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Your wife wants to pay it.....shes her daughter let her do it, of course thats assuming its her money and not yours.

spoken like a real MAN, but i wonder if you would practice what you preach ?  seen loads of men here who walk the walk BUT  cant talk the talk. 

21 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Perhaps, but I'm an honest guy. If I borrow something, I'll give it back. Mind you, I don't have credit cards and never had any.

Cash is king.

Man, anyone who doesn't agree with you on that has loose morals. But we are in Thailand: don't repay your debts but give money to the monks, to build a wall with your name on it.

A lot of advice here dealing with debt seems to come from a western point of view.

As a matter of fact I heard that credit card debt in Thailand never disappears. 

My wife had a friend who married some guy and was supposed to leave for Australia. From what I understood she couldn't leave the country until she cleared her debt.

1 hour ago, catman20 said:

spoken like a real MAN, but i wonder if you would practice what you preach ?  seen loads of men here who walk the walk BUT  cant talk the talk. 

why not,  why try and interfere between Mother and Daughter. As the daughter  is already in arrears its unlikely she will be able to do the same again so if the Mother wants to put her daughter  in good steed then by all means she should,  however as stated,  that's assuming  it's the Mothers own money and not the OPs

On 11/16/2018 at 3:02 PM, johng said:

Get a debit card it can do everything a credit card can  except spend money you don't have.

The problem is, debit cards have direct access to full account balances for their associated accounts; meaning, if the card is compromised you’re liable to lose most or all of that balance.

In the US you’re only liable for the first $50 and if you report a stolen or missing card, you’ll likely pay nothing. Also, because any monies borrowed are unsecured (hence the higher interest rates) the banks have an incentive to look out for that card. In the US I had my card number compromised by a card skimmer at my local gas station (culprits were later caught) and the bank contacted me to confirm the suspicious activity. (A charge outside my home city that was picked up by their security algorithms.)

That’s why I keep a US bank issued Visa card and enter a travel notice for it every few months (I’m able to do travel notices for a full year online and can call a toll free number to extend that). But I only use it a handful of times a year. In addition, I earn points that pay for other things.

On 11/16/2018 at 12:05 PM, Vacuum said:

Cash is king.

Smart people use financial tools like credit (including house mortgages and credit cards) responsibly. That means not borrowing money with credit cards. (The interest rates are high because borrowed monies are not secured by anything like a car or house.) Conversely, borrowing for a house in the right location can reap huge benefits; appreciation greater than the interest rate charged. It’s called leverage.

On 11/16/2018 at 3:44 PM, Pedrogaz said:

This isn't correct. They came after my wife after about 20 years. She had no assets and couldn't own anything during the extensive court adjudication. She worked on Japan and sent money back to pay for properties with mortgages here in Thailand. The family stole the money, didn't;t pay the mortgages and the properties were seized. The bank came after her for a huge sum of money as she took the mortgages out in 1992 at 20% interest.....the bank claimed the difference between what was owed and what was recovered through the sale of the properties. The properties were in fact flogged off to mates of the bankers for cents on the dollar. 

In any even they tracked her to Japan and served a writ. She ignored the writ but they confiscated her passport when she returned to Thailand and she had to go to court. It took 4 years before she was able to travel without the judge's permission. 

And they say family is everything in Thailand. ????

On 11/17/2018 at 11:09 AM, baansgr said:

why not,  why try and interfere between Mother and Daughter. As the daughter  is already in arrears its unlikely she will be able to do the same again so if the Mother wants to put her daughter  in good steed then by all means she should,  however as stated,  that's assuming  it's the Mothers own money and not the OPs

you can take a horse to water you cant make the horse drink it

Archived