Riding a Thai registered bike to Laos

jackdd

This year Laos changed some laws / rules regarding foreign bikes, you now have to get some paper from a tour company to take a foreign bike into Laos.

Did anybody here ever do this and can share his first hand experience? Also tell us at which border crossing you entered Laos.

Seconded. Thinking about a Lao trip too ...also to add, does bike have to be in your name or is it ok in the wife's name? (Can change if not). And, Can you go into Lao at say Vientianne and exit at say Pakse crossing (chomlek?) Or say savannakhet ...or does it have to be the same point for exit and entry? Thx in adv. for any info given.

1 minute ago, KhruGin said:

does bike have to be in your name or is it ok in the wife's name?

Has to be in your name

2 minutes ago, KhruGin said:

Can you go into Lao at say Vientianne and exit at say Pakse crossing

2 or 3 years ago i entered in Nong Khai and came back at Nan, was no problem, should still be possible

• Thanks 1

Some officials at the Lao side, crossing from Nong Khai, a year ago tried to tell me I'd need a tour guide to enter Laos. I figured they just wanted some money so I told them nope, not interested. Got into Laos without issues after insisting and just going to different officials instead.

According to GT Rider, officials at that crossing are now trying to enforce that "rule" much more. Some other border crossings into Laos seem to be unaffected and easy to cross... (and some impossible). Gotta love the inconsistency and always changing rules.