Many Thais believe drug abuse and alcohol consumption are the most common causes of violence - survey

webfact

1 hour ago, The Deerhunter said:

with delusions of grandeur about their place in life and what the rest of society owes them in particular

Gawd that's so right, Ive met some of these prima donnas and slapped them right  down, last one didn't pay her rent, told her she'd got a few  minutes to get her stuff out or it was going over the balcony..............hilarious at the time,  followed with pitiful "it's not fair" crap from her, doesnt wash with me but Thais  will listen to this pitiful nonsense.

Never their fault you see, couldnt pay the rent but never their fault.

An even funnier one was the guy who was about 2  weeks  late with rent , told him to bugger  off and he said " do you know what car I drive", like I could give a flying shit, unfortunately they dont know that with "us" it means nothing.....except maybe them borrowing more than they can afford.

Anyway the BMW was about 15 years old, I advised him to sell it to pay the rent...........on his next condo rental agreement but you aint staying here no more.

The Wife loves to drag me along to this kind of crap, I find it entertaining, the main reason is back up for her in case of any problems. Only happened  twice in 12 years mind.

• Like 1

" As for what they would do to end violence in society, 26.27 per cent said they will suppress violence within themselves, while 25.29 per cent said they will not react when angry.  "

This is actually very good, I wish it was 100%.

Edited by Camilo Diaz
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Camilo Diaz said:

" As for what they would do to end violence in society, 26.27 per cent said they will suppress violence within themselves, while 25.29 per cent said they will not react when angry.  "

This is actually very good, I wish ti was 100%.

leaving the other 2% ( TAT figures and calculations) to be violent..........problem solved. Almost no violence in Thailand.

14 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

Speaking of which, you need a comma after laugh and before too; laugh, too. Too is always preceded by a comma unless it is being used as an adjective. The colon after too is totally inappropriate, should be a comma. The colon joins two independent clauses (compound sentence), introduces lists, and sets up quotations.

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. ????

Accept the comma correction but your colon rule is incomplete and there is nothing wrong with how I used it.

If you want to tell me I need a comma before and, forget it as I never use the Oxford comma.

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

Speaking of which, you need a comma after laugh and before too; laugh, too. Too is always preceded by a comma unless it is being used as an adjective. The colon after too is totally inappropriate, should be a comma. The colon joins two independent clauses (compound sentence), introduces lists, and sets up quotations.

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. ????

People who live in glass houses, shouldn't...................

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, todlad said:

I didn't read the article but came straight to the comments. What a hoot. Why did they bother with a survey and why do they bother with looking at violence in other parts of the world? The experts are here on Thai Visa dot com.

Loss of face. That's the one. Alcohol and drugs are down at 20 and 21. Someone's lived here for 20 years and points us to a video as proof of his profound knowledge and cultural understanding.

The spelling and grammar of these experts is astounding. Makes me laugh too: after all of your superior education and insights.

Redundant comment removed by contributor.

Edited by The Deerhunter

Sadly it is Thai Culture that is to blame for most of the Violence, loss of face, sloping shoulders, never accepting responsibility for their own actions, just look at the number of people running away from incidents notably traffic accidents and the way everyone joins in in a fight never a one on one, someone always has a weapon .

Boys molly-coddled from the cot, they can do what they want, girls however are treated as possessions.  Thai mlaes one of most insecure people I know ( mentally ) 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Loss of face and rejection must be high up there too ?

Loss of face and rejection comes after immature character which is the real cause.

Question might be: where does the immature character come from?

Why is it so epidemic in LOS - which could be a so much more better place whitout this impairment

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DM07 said:

The cause?

No way!

A catalyst?

Sure!

The main causes are education, traditions, religion and "Thainess"- although no one would ever admit to that!

So pretty well similar to western cultures with Thainess changed to Westerness. 

3 hours ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

Yep it's a factor at best. Alcohol and drugs are a tool, the user defines how the end results pans out, not the tool itself. If you're an angry, violent person by nature, alcohol is surely going to exaggerate that 

Alcohol and drugs, alcohol is a drug actually, affect people differently. They can also affect the same person differently depending on that person's tolerance, reactions, and personality swings. Not all people can predict or control the effects each time the indulge.

Alcohol in particular because of its easy legal availability and the way it acts on people is a common cause of violence in men and women. Just ask anyone who has worked in pubs or nightclubs or served in law enforcement. It's quite scary to observe the physical and mental changes in people and their behavior as they drink large quantities of alcohol over several hours.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Loss of face and the often violent reaction to that will be exaggerated by alcohol consumption. So alcohol is a moderating factor to the reactions of loss of face.

Alcohol impairs judgement and will make people more prone to knee jerk excessive reactions. 

Loss of face highly exacerbated by ethnicity especially Asians and Thais in particular. 

Here we go again.. Incidently this is not only a Thai problem but is worldwide.

If they are serious about alcohol there are two things that come to mind.

Ban that bloody Lao Khao & only sell hard liquor at licensed premises. Stop 7/11 from

selling spirits. Enforce the law (already in place) & prohibit all drinking in public places, ie

only allow in licensed venues.

An education programme for males to somehow show  more respect for the fairer sex

would help as well

• Like 2

1 minute ago, natway09 said:

Ban that bloody Lao Khao & only sell hard liquor at licensed premises. Stop 7/11 from

selling spirits. Enforce the law (already in place) & prohibit all drinking in public places, ie

only allow in licensed venues.

You should go to Jail for 30 days for suggesting that. :giggle:

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Loss of face and the often violent reaction to that will be exaggerated by alcohol consumption. So alcohol is a moderating factor to the reactions of loss of face.

Alcohol impairs judgement and will make people more prone to knee jerk excessive reactions. 

Everyone seems desperate to put loss of face as the number one reason. My UK newspaper has a couple of stories this morning that scream Thainess, according to many here; but no Thai people involved, only Brits.

Whether it is the factor, a contributory factory or a catalyst, alcohol features in two thirds of violent attacks in Thailand: both attacker and victim, almost in equal measure.

What might be classed as loss of face, uncontrolled rage, accounts for around 10% of cases.

Whether we like it or not, alcohol is a massive influence here.

If anyone is desperate to promote loss of face to number one spot, carry out your own survey and prove it. Repeating it like a parrot is not proof.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, DM07 said:

Couldn't help yourself, could you?!

Or did I miss the part of the Op, that read "...many Thais and people around the world..."?

Correct I could help myself and I have no idea what you mean “ did I miss the part of the OP that read “...many Thais and people around the world...?

32 minutes ago, Tongjaw said:

Correct I could help myself and I have no idea what you mean “ did I miss the part of the OP that read “...many Thais and people around the world...?

Okay...let me spell it out for you: 

the title reads "many thais believe drug abuse and alcohol consumption are the most common causes of violence"...
get it?

This is about THAIS and THAILAND!

Also: this is THAI Visa- so we are discussing issues in and with THAILAND!

What happens in the rest of world or in the west is of no interest to this subject!

And it is an often used deflection of apologists of Thailand, everything Thai and their "Thai'er than Thai"- attitude!

The subject is THAILAND - nothing else!

Edited by DM07

8 minutes ago, DM07 said:

Okay...let me spell it out for you: 

the title reads "many thais believe drug abuse and alcohol consumption are the most common causes of violence"...
get it?

This is about THAIS and THAILAND!

Also: this is THAI Visa- so we are discussing issues in and with THAILAND!

What happens in the rest of world or in the west is of no interest to this subject!

And it is an often used deflection of apologists of Thailand, everything Thai and their "Thai'er than Thai"- attitude!

The subject is THAILAND - nothing else!

Yes the post is about violence in Thailand. So let me spell out my comment to you. My comments was in no way being opologetic to violent Thais and I take offence at that.  It was stating that religion, drugs and alcohol are also are causes of violence around the world, Thailand included.  So let’s get it straight,  I am not a Thai apologist but then again I am not a Thai basher unless it warrents it unlike some people who thrive on it. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Tongjaw said:

Yes the post is about violence in Thailand. So let me spell out my comment to you. My comments was in no way being opologetic to violent Thais and I take offence at that.  It was stating that religion, drugs and alcohol are also are causes of violence around the world, Thailand included.  So let’s get it straight,  I am not a Thai apologist but then again I am not a Thai basher unless it warrents it unlike some people who thrive on it. 

So THIS "So pretty well similar to western cultures with Thainess changed to Westerness." sentence (because THAT was all you wrote)  was about all of the above!?

Yeah...right!