U.S. briefly shutters border crossing to brace for migrants

webfact

U.S. briefly shutters border crossing to brace for migrants

By Lizbeth Diaz

2018-11-19T202749Z_1_LYNXNPEEAI1D7_RTROPTP_4_USA-IMMIGRATION-CARAVAN.JPG

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Special Response Team (SRT) officers are seen through concertina wire after the San Ysidro Port of Entry land border crossing was temporarily closed to traffic in Tijuana, Mexico November 19, 2018. REUTERS/Adrees Latif

TIJUANA, Mexico (Reuters) - U.S. officials briefly closed the busiest border crossing from Mexico early on Monday to add concrete barricades and razor wire amid concerns that some of the thousands of Central American migrants at the border could try to rush the crossing.

Northbound lanes at the San Ysidro crossing from Tijuana to San Diego, California, were closed "to position additional port hardening materials," a U.S. Customs and Border Protection spokesperson said.

A Department of Homeland Security official, speaking on condition of anonymity, told reporters in a conference call later that U.S. officials had heard reports some migrants were intending to run through border crossings into California.

Ahead of U.S. congressional elections earlier this month, President Donald Trump denounced the approach of a caravan of migrants as an "invasion" that threatened American national security. He sent thousands of U.S. troops to the border.

By dawn on Monday, 15 of 26 vehicle lanes had reopened at the San Ysidro crossing, according to the DHS official.

It was a rare closing of the station, which is one of the busiest border crossings in the world, with tens of thousands Mexicans heading every day into the United States to work or study.

"Today was a lost day of work. I already called my boss to tell her that everything was closed and I did not know what time I would be able to get in," said Maria Gomez, a Mexican woman who crosses the border every day for work. "I cannot believe this is happening."

Trump had remained mostly silent about the caravan since the Nov. 6 vote, but on Monday he posted a photo on Twitter showing a fence that runs from the beach in Tijuana into the ocean now covered with razor wire.

About 6,000 Central Americans have reached the border cities of Tijuana and Mexicali, according to local officials. More bands of migrants are making their way towards Tijuana, with around 10,000 expected.

Hundreds of local residents on Sunday massed at a monument in a wealthy neighbourhood of Tijuana to protest the arrival of the migrants, with some carrying signs that said "Mexico first" and "No more migrants."

Last month, thousands of Central American migrants began a long journey from Honduras through Mexico towards the United States to seek asylum.

Other bands of mostly Salvadorans followed, with a small group setting off on Sunday from San Salvador.

(Additional reporting by Yeganeh Torbati in Washington; Editing by Dan Grebler)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-11-20
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Others are in support areas and most likely continuing to lay razor wire on the other 2,000 miles of the border.

5 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Really? They're laying razor wire on 2000 miles of border? Got any more falsehoods to share with us?

4 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

The fact of the matter is the y withdrew once they put barbed wire in that particular area and are now going home as they should be. 

Just recently I was accused by some poster of not admitting when I said something incorrect. I immediately gave evidence to show that I in fact did acknowledge my error immediately. And then I pointed out the clearly what this poster was exemplifying was a psychological phenomenon called projection. Hmmm...

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Walls may or may not work out in my humble opinion an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. These groups have the right to apply for asylum anywhere they want to but must wait like anybody else does. 

If you are safe and out of harms way in southern Mexico you might want to stay there at the moment instead of adding to the congestion at the border.

The criteria for asylum is what many experts say on the subject very limited.

So long as they know they are facing a detention center and won't be released let them come. Hopefully this weeds out the asylum seekers that are "insincere". 

The reason the military was deployed was to build these barricades is to alleviate pressure on ICE and other enforcement agencies. It seems so far the caravans are waiting on one side of the fence. 

The reason the troops were deployed to the boarder was to get Trump supporters to vote. It was all a scam. It was a terrible waste of money to move soldiers into the area to do work that private contractors could have done if it was truly needed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Donald better hunker down in your bunker and nurse your bone spurs and dry your comb over the USA military will protect you from all those terrifying Latin mommies and kids + all those hard working guys just wanting to take care of their families and pay taxes don’t be afaraid we got this!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

I am in America and it is on the local news. I am not commenting from Thailand.  The military lays down barriers in war zones all the time this is routine for them. 

I don't care what you think the roles of our troops are. The fact of the matter is the y withdrew once they put barbed wire in that particular area and are now going home as they should be. 

The caravans are predictable and there is a month before the next ones come. The current one is fenced out.

Well said. I served 20 years in the US Army and laugh at the opinions of some of the posts. Many have no experience other than the "news" and watching war movies. Hardly a qualification with any merit.

• Like 2