Don Mueang Airport Problems - My Tourist Visa

I am 46 and have an income from my business in the UK. For the last 3 years I have been in South East Asia - mostly in Thailand on tourist visas.

I received a warning at Penang a year ago that I may be refused another Thai tourist visa there. I now have a new passport and have 3 Thai tourist visas in it from Myanmar, Bali and Vietnam (I spent 1 month in Bali and Malaysia). On my return from Vietnam immigration at DM airport said they would not allow entry again unless I spent an equivalent time in the UK. I have never heard this demand made before. I would be grateful if anyone knows of any other options?

• Like 1

Next time your in UK obtaining a METV might be good idea. You didn't actually mention how many TV,s you have had over past 3 years. You mentioned one month in Bali etc. Rest of the time? Pretty much Thai with few days out for next TV? Perhaps io was having bad day or suspected you of working. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Khun Ed said:

DM airport said they would not allow entry again unless I spent an equivalent time in the UK

This is an often reported problem when people enter the country via Don Muang.

Solution - fly to the other larger airport.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ukrules said:

This is an often reported problem when people enter the country via Don Muang.

Solution - fly to the other larger airport.

It happens there too, but less often.

Source : First hand experience.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Khun Ed said:

On my return from Vietnam immigration at DM airport said they would not allow entry again unless I spent an equivalent time in the UK.

That's a new one.  Why the UK?  Just to further narrow the parameters, arbitrarily?  Maybe just jealous you aren't "stuck" where you happened to be born, forever.

20 hours ago, Essecola said:

They lied to you

But they can Enforce The Lies at that checkpoint (and the other Bangkok airport), per several reports.  What they stamp for rejection in your passport will likely have nothing to do with what they say, but it won't affect the result.  There appears to be no functional oversight to ensure they follow the published laws and rules.

2 hours ago, 1337markus said:

Just proves the training and UNDERSTANDING of IO's is abysmal. We all know today's decision is not the same tomorrow.

It would seem they are being ordered/encouraged to do this.  Supervisors get involved, but "unpublished rules" are spouted by all.

1 hour ago, jspill said:

It's a bit boring but the safest option is fly to Vientiane, tourist visa there, then come into Thailand via the land border, take one of the private taxi touts after the Laos passport controls, they take you through the car lane of the Thai passport controls,

We don't have bad-reports from people entering via the walking-queue at that location either, that I recall.  Granted, the taxi is a bit like "VIP" at the airport - indicates you are not destitute. 

The best insurance, IMO, is to have the 20K Baht worth of cash or travelers checks PLUS use a friendly land-border.  They haven't been reported to ask to see the money at reliable points of entry other than the Malaysian land borders, but that could always change.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, natway09 said:

It has been reported on a regular basis that land crossings are limited per year.

Flying in to Suvarnabhumi would be safer

Only limited for visa exempt entry. There’s no set limit if entering with Tourist Visa.

• Like 2