Marriage/retirement extension seasoning and bank passbook updating issue

19 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

Slightly off-topic, I believe that THB 800k is actually supposed to be the minimum balance in your bank account for 6 months before and for several months (3?) AFTER your visa renewal. I know its not enforced, but I believe this is the law. Anyone else know about this? Maybe it's how it used to be, but I read it recently. 

The 800k baht only has to be in the bank for 3 months on the date you apply for the extension of stay.

"(4) On the filing date, the applicant must have account  deposited  (saving / fixed account) in a bank in Thailand of no less than Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to the filing date"

Source: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_22

• Thanks 1

On 11/21/2018 at 7:48 AM, OJAS said:

The reason why I am asking, by the way, is that it is now looking increasingly likely that I shall have to switch to marriage extensions based on 400k in the bank from August 2019

It frequently happens, both in self-service bank-book update machines, and when a cashier updates a bank-book; but no problem.

When you are going to apply for extension of stay and use the bank deposit method, you'll need a letter from your bank and a three month printed statement – normally a bank charge 100 bath for each – and that's what matters for the immigration. You are supposed to also give a photocopy of your bankbook and all pages, but it does't matter with some overwriting, or lack of update in a period, where a number posting have been compiled to a single line. All mentioned from personal experience.

What can make life little easier when applying to extension of stay, is to deposit the 400k baht in a separate account, so it's easy for the immigration officer to see, that the balance has not been under 400k baht at any time. If financially possible, a 3-month fixed account gives better interest. In such case I'll advise you to ask for two statements in the bank, and still show the immigration office your account for daily transactions; it might not be so important when extension is based on marriage, but for retirement extension one will for example show foreign transfers, and thereby that not working in the kingdom.

????

• Thanks 1

On 11/21/2018 at 2:33 PM, lopburi3 said:

Yes statements can be obtained at small cost for passbook accounts and expect with bank signature can be used - banks are starting to issue statement only accounts here so they know what they are.

This is true in my case as well.  Few hundred baht and they give 12 months worth of statements on A4 pages. 

On 11/21/2018 at 8:20 PM, JackThompson said:

Also note that if you do not update your passbook frequently, it may skip many transactions.  A year ago, it seemed to go as far back as necessary, but not anymore (Bangkok Bank). 

I ran into that issue recently with CIMB, and asked for an explanation, and ended up being told that the limit of their passbook update machines' automatic printing was something like 20-25 individual lines. And if what was needed to catch up was any longer number of line entries than that, the machine would just print a single line update as of the current day/time. To me, that's a gigantic PITA!.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Speedhump said:

Slightly off-topic, I believe that THB 800k is actually supposed to be the minimum balance in your bank account for 6 months before and for several months (3?) AFTER your visa renewal. I know its not enforced, but I believe this is the law. Anyone else know about this? Maybe it's how it used to be, but I read it recently. 

Three moths before if you are on a retirement visa

10 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

Same for Krung Thai.

Yeah they condense some months into a single line summary on Bangkok Bank machines, so much so I put a reminder in my calendar to take my passbook in for update as I want 3 months of transactions to show at extension renewal time. Although it sometimes also means that span traverses 2 passbooks.

3 hours ago, chicowoodduck said:

Why not just pop into your local bank and have them update your book?  Easy peasy...????

Did you read the posts here? It's not easy for a lot of people as the magnetic strips fail, and Kbank refused to give me a new passbook. Anyway, my bank only updates the balance, without all the transactions getting printed in the book. Read the thread mate ????

23 hours ago, Speedhump said:

Did you read the posts here? It's not easy for a lot of people as the magnetic strips fail, and Kbank refused to give me a new passbook. Anyway, my bank only updates the balance, without all the transactions getting printed in the book. Read the thread mate ????

I use the combo method and as I use online banking my book only has consolidated deposits. When I get the bank letter they provide a statement and that is all immigration are interested in, they never bother with the book.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Guest StephenB

The OP's post happened to me today right before renewal. I was able to get the under review stamp, but I was sweating it at the bank knowing "they aint going to like this" playing out in my mind. My passbook got completely garbled, so I had some certified papers going back a year with all the transactions from the passbook and included it in the stack of papers. The first or second post is accurate as well, sometimes if you have a passbook account it will lump several of the same types of transaction into one, so it could make it look like you dipped below the threshold for a given period when in fact you haven't. Keep that in mind fellow non-immigrants.