Loy Krathong at Mae Kuang Dam

boonrawdcnx

According to the villagers here - for those Interested - there will be Loy Krathong events at the suspension bridge at Mae Kuang Dam, Doi Saket.

November 22nd and 23rd - today 22nd (testing of the lights ) and main event tomorrow evening.

There will be areas to float Krathongs, a firework display and apparently they are trying to fly 1500 “Khom Loy” Lanterns all at the same time - should be spectacular if it all works out as planned.

Will drive over there and try to get more specific information.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

19 hours ago, boonrawdcnx said:

The main event will be tomorrow November 23rd - think it’s going to be really nice - saw the entire road leading up to the Dam was lined with torches for tomorrow. The bridge is all lit up.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Do you have any rough idea of times, many thanks for posting.

On 11/22/2018 at 8:21 PM, boonrawdcnx said:

The main event will be tomorrow November 23rd - think it’s going to be really nice - saw the entire road leading up to the Dam was lined with torches for tomorrow. The bridge is all lit up.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Thanks for the heads up it was a really enjoyable event, lovely villagers, the dancing was nice as was the mass lantern release, not sure they got to the 1500, but nevertheless less it was fun.

Thanks for the heads up it was a really enjoyable event, lovely villagers, the dancing was nice as was the mass lantern release, not sure they got to the 1500, but nevertheless less it was fun.

Yes it was fun - since they did this the first time this year it did not exactly go to plan as the lantern release was planned for 21.00 hrs - but they actually released them much earlier.
There was a nice dance display by the locals and electricity was obviously a challenge using generators.
We met some people from the Or-Bor-Dor and made some suggestions how to improve it next year.
They gave away 1500 lanterns for free but failed to announce (or keep them back until the time to release them) that people should keep them and release them together so people released them over a period of several hours and not together.
When they finally - and much earlier than planned - released them after the cultural show there where probably a few hundred lanterns released together.
Things will certainly improve next year.

I got some nice video footage of the lanterns and bridge - Although I had no time to prepare because they started early with the release.

Will post the video once I have time to work on it.
Hope they will also get the budget to improve the last stretch of the road leading to the suspension bridge.

For those who have never been to the Dam here is a little video of how to get there and the bridge which connects a hopefully soon improved road to Phrao.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app