Income statement letters from embassies no longer required, confirms Phuket Immigration

On 11/22/2018 at 9:37 PM, marcusarelus said:

Hundreds of posts confirming this to be false information.  Visit a Bank of Bangkok main branch (not the mall) in any tourist location and open an account.  1. Bangkok Bank.  2.  Main branch.  In Pattaya that is on second road by end of soi six.  There is a new thread about it. 

This is my branch. But they won't issue you with a Visa Debit card!  Instead you get a useless Unionpay card which nobody accepts.  I am looking to change banks because of this.

11 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Gee immigration was just fine with the letter for the last 18 yes I just said 18 years... 

Exactly, and when we brought along supporting documents to TI (in my case Phuket) they were brushed aside...no need!

10 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Exactly, and when we brought along supporting documents to TI (in my case Phuket) they were brushed aside...no need!

I'll wait a year or two to see what is the end result of all this.

But, looks like the easy days of picking up a 1 year extension is basically over.

After the dust settles, in a year or so, then we will know what is going to be the norm for a while.

Never a dull moment in the LOS's..

Edited by garyk

11 hours ago, onera1961 said:

But Thai bank charges. Does your bank refund those fees? If so, would like to know which bank is that. I have ATM card of all US major banks (BofA, Citi - No charge in Bangkok Citi bank ATM, Capital One, Chase, Ally - Ally returns ATM fees, PNC). I also have Charles Schwab and Fidelity investment account ATM card and both refunds ATM fees. I will like to open an account in any US bank that refunds Thai bank's outrageous ATM charges. 

I use Schwab.  It's an excellent card to have for foreign travel.  They refund the fees.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They have been issuing MasterCards since the 5th this month. I have got one now along with my still valid Visa Card and even one of the UnionPay cards all on one account.

How do you apply for this? Just show up in your local branch and ask for a debit MasterCard or VISA?

18 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

How do you apply for this? Just show up in your local branch and ask for a debit MasterCard or VISA?

They no longer issue new Visa debit cards. I have had it since the day I opened my account.

You can go to any branch and request a MasterCard debit card. Only 100 baht if you replace an existing card. Four hundred if you want to keep your existing card.

I have only been using my Visa card for online payments/purchases and the UnionPay for ATM transactions to avoid having something happen the Visa card. Once I am sure the MasterCard works online I may cancel the Visa card.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

This is my branch. But they won't issue you with a Visa Debit card!  Instead you get a useless Unionpay card which nobody accepts.  I am looking to change banks because of this.

I can confirm UJ's comment. Opened an account with BB in Pattaya (Darkside) a couple of days back and was offered the choice between Union Pay and MasterCard. Needless to say I chose MC, which was Bt100 extra.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Reported off topic post removed.

And a few more off topic posts and replies to them.

Edit: This is the Thai visas and etc forum. If you want to post about visas for other countries post about them in this forum Visas and migration to other countries .

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

I confirm what Ubonjoe said, they have started issuing Mastercard Debit Cards, which they informed us of at a presentation recently where they are trying to attract foreigner accounts. Also has contact-less payment feature.

Entrance Fee: 100 baht
Annual Fee: 300 baht 
Card Replacement Fee: 100 baht

Details on website.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onera1961 said:

Just go to your branch as ask for a Mastercard.  They've been available since 5 Nov 18.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, merijn said:

Sorry if it is confusing ????

The embassies from those countries will stop issuing the income letters/affidavits in December but the affidavit remains valid for 6 months.

So if a person from Australia for example gets the affidavit on time AND has the government pension statement it can be used for the extension within the 6 months validation date of the affidavit. (theoretically until June 2019)

If the person does not have the affidavit from the embassy he only can use the bank account option for the extension.

This is how it stands at this moment for Phuket immigration.

Thanks again Merijn…..that's a tidier summary (than mine)!!

The embassies from those countries will stop issuing the income letters/affidavits in December but the affidavit remains valid for 6 months.

And as of now those embassies are: UK, USA, Australia and Denmark (I believe). I wonder if other embassies will follow suit or if they will just stay quiet and carry on as before. Or of course TI could propose another method/route to assist with those who are not able to access 800k in a lump sum.

I have to say that I used to use the 800k deposit method but changed to the pension income AND lump sum top up method a couple of years ago, getting the necessary letters from the UK and NZ Embassies plus bank letter etc. However this last time (in October) the IO went through my docs in detail, even working out exchange rates to ensure the required amount was correct, he took some time and said, "next year put 800k in your bank and use that; much easier".

A foreboding perhaps, or just tired of have to wade through reams of paperwork, check calculations and reconcile it...…..

Went to Aust Embassy yesterday and got the (stamped) Statutory Declaration relating to my pension income.

Also had it formally translated and "legalised" at the Thai Govt Office complex (Dept of Foreign Affairs )

Now to see if local IO accept this as they have in the past years.

35 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

Went to Aust Embassy yesterday and got the (stamped) Statutory Declaration relating to my pension income.

Also had it formally translated and "legalised" at the Thai Govt Office complex (Dept of Foreign Affairs )

No reason why they shouldn't according to what has been said here...……..but feedback welcomed!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, orchidfan said:

Good luck and let us know how it went. (and which immigration office you went to)

1 hour ago, orchidfan said:

why would you need to translate a stat dec, it would be in English. What do you mean with legalised ? I've never had to have an embassy letter translated to Thai or to 'legalise' it. 

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

why would you need to translate a stat dec, it would be in English. What do you mean with legalised ? I've never had to have an embassy letter translated to Thai or to 'legalise' it. 

There are few offices that require the signature of the consular officer on the document from the embassy to be verified by the Consular Affairs Department of the MFA. And some really odd offices that want it translated.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There are few offices that require the signature of the consular officer on the document from the embassy to be verified by the Consular Affairs Department of the MFA. And some really odd offices that want it translated.

very odd, one lives and learns.

15 hours ago, jessebkk1 said:

I don't believe anything you have said about yourself here and here's why.

Anyone posting here and being completely apathetic to the plight of those who have been here for a long time (and have made huge investments in thailand like buying homes,cars,opening businesses for their thai wives and are now being asked to Bank 800k per year) is not human, and is either a bot or a paid troll.

And I don't believe what you say, it is my understanding that if there is a Thai wife it is 400K.

On 11/23/2018 at 8:25 AM, wwest5829 said:

Agreed. The US diplomatic mission presenting in Chiang Mai stated that they had met with Thai Immigration officials in Bangkok and it was affirmed that the regulation had not changed. 800K retirement, 400K marriage in the bank OR the monthly income 65K retirement, 40K marriage.

What is "US diplomatic mission" ? Is that another way of saying the "US Embassy"? .... "presenting" what/where in Chaing Mai? ... Where did you get this information? Or is it simply a word of mouth rumor? ... or perhaps wishful thinking? ... I'm not questioning your post just your source which is very very important when a statement like this is made ... please clarify your source ......

5 minutes ago, carken said:

What is "US diplomatic mission" ? Is that another way of saying the "US Embassy"? .... "presenting" what/where in Chaing Mai? ... Where did you get this information? Or is it simply a word of mouth rumor? ... or perhaps wishful thinking? ... I'm not questioning your post just your source which is very very important when a statement like this is made ... please clarify your source ......

See this topic.

• Like 1