Income statement letters from embassies no longer required, confirms Phuket Immigration

5 hours ago, MekkOne said:

this is incorrect, if your pension is going directly in your bank account in Thailand the immigration can see that the money are coming from abroad, you don't need any letter from any embassy... Is actually more simple than asking for the affidavit... Real problem is that many pensioners are in Thailand without the requirements and were abusing the affidavit, from this the request of the immigration to have the emabssy check on the claims of the pensioners. Is quiet simple.

Always had pensions paid into my Thai bank account BUT a letter from my Embassy was ALSO required and because that has been stopped by some embassies that is causing these problems.

So if you don't follow or understand this you are in for a big shock come renewal time (unless you use an agent).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

Always had pensions paid into my Thai bank account BUT a letter from my Embassy was ALSO required

Now it's not required anymore, this is what the HEADLINE says and apparently you didn't go to the IO and ask yet... Maybe instead of stay here and arguing you should just go to the IO and check out what the chief says... Just saying...

15 minutes ago, MekkOne said:

Now it's not required anymore, this is what the HEADLINE says and apparently you didn't go to the IO and ask yet... Maybe instead of stay here and arguing you should just go to the IO and check out what the chief says... Just saying...

We must be talking cross purposes?? It is not required because they will no longer accept it, is my understanding of the situation. So the lump sum method is now the only on accepted unless an agent can wrangle things for you.

Would someone please qualify this statement for me (I will use the 800k method so don't personally have a problem).

PS. Thanks Merijn, just in time to stop me tearing my hair out!!!

Edited by xylophone

8 hours ago, xylophone said:
8 hours ago, Moonlover said:

But pensioners, such as you and I need not be concerned. If you could prove your income to the embassy, you can prove it to TI. Others may find it more difficult, however, providing they can demonstrate that they have sufficient income into their bank accounts, they need not worry either.

TI rules regarding income have not changed. The only thing that has changed, is that we will have to provide the evidence directly to TI and not via the our embassies.

8 hours ago, xylophone said:

I am confused about this statement unless it concerns the 800k deposit method.

As I understand it TI will ONLY accept income verification from letters issued by Embassies...…...nothing else is acceptable as far as they are concerned. 

Yes, you do appear to be confused. The subject header referred to income letters. Such letters have never been required for the deposit method, only for income, hence the name.

I have always used the income method, in my case 40K per month and I fully expect to be doing so again next August.

If you're trying to instigate yet another futile debate on the future of income based extensions then. as far as I'm concerned, forget it. There is not one shred of evidence to support the notion that this method is ending and quite a lot to suggest otherwise. And it's all here on TVF.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I have always used the income method, in my case 40K per month and I fully expect to be doing so again next August

Then it is you who are confused because as it stands the deposit method is the only way for many from the UK, Oz, US and Denmark.

2 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

f you're trying to instigate yet another futile debate on the future of income based extensions then. as far as I'm concerned, forget it. There is not one shred of evidence to support the notion that this method is ending and quite a lot to suggest otherwise. And it's all here on TVF.

Oh dear………over and out.

7 minutes ago, xylophone said:

We must be talking cross purposes?? It is not required because they will no longer accept it, is my understanding of the situation. So the lump sum method is now the only on accepted unless an agent can wrangle things for you.

Would someone please qualify this statement for me (I will use the 800k method so don't personally have a problem).

PS. Thanks Merijn, just in time to stop me tearing my hair out!!!

Just to be clear, Phuket immigration will still accept the embassy income letter as long it is combined with the required and accepted paperwork.

For the UK, USA, Australia etc the affidavit (as long they still supply them) together with the government pension statement.

For other countries the income certificate with supporting documents, same as before. (nothing changed for them)

If people for whatever reason don't have the embassy letter/affidavit only the bank account option can be used.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Then it is you who are confused because as it stands the deposit method is the only way for many from the UK, Oz, US and Denmark.

Oh dear………over and out.

I'll let you know next August.

Good news but this should be coming from the main Immigration authority and cover all Immigration offices, not this one at a time nonsense.  

One of the major nightmares of dealing with bureaucracies here is that each office and sometimes each employee is allowed to make up their own rules and there is no avenue of appeal, as would be the case in our home countries.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robins said:

Good news but this should be coming from the main Immigration authority and cover all Immigration offices, not this one at a time nonsense.  

One of the major nightmares of dealing with bureaucracies here is that each office and sometimes each employee is allowed to make up their own rules and there is no avenue of appeal, as would be the case in our home countries.  

Case by case basis. Every client is a individual. Do your best don't be fooled by crap 

10 minutes ago, Robins said:

Oops, somebody missed this little part of the Phuket article:

“However, the foreigner applying for the visa (or permit-to-stay) will still have to prove that they have the funds to stay in the country, such as by showing bank statements that prove the foreigner has B800,000 in a Thai bank account,” he said."

You never were required to have an embassy letter if you had the 800,000 Baht in a Thai account so this statement means nothing and represents no change or indication of flexibility by Immigration whatsoever. 

Edited by Robins

19 minutes ago, merijn said:

Just to be clear, Phuket immigration will still accept the embassy income letter as long it is combined with the required and accepted paperwork.

For the UK, USA, Australia etc the affidavit (as long they still supply them) together with the government pension statement.

For other countries the income certificate with supporting documents, same as before. (nothing changed for them)

If people for whatever reason don't have the embassy letter/affidavit only the bank account option can be used.

Now you are confusing the issue Merijn………...

Just to be clear, Phuket immigration will still accept the embassy income letter as long it is combined with the required and accepted paperwork. From embassies other than those listed below...….

For the UK, USA, Australia etc the affidavit/letter (as long they still supply them) together with the government pension statement. Until they stop being issued in December.

Add...…..they will still accept the embassy letter (with supporting income docs) until mid next year provided it is obtained before the cut-off date sometime this December.

True......….For other countries the income certificate with supporting documents, same as before. (nothing changed for them)

That's it surely Merijn.

40 minutes ago, Robins said:

Nope- this was a Phuket specific thread and everyone jumped on the bandwagon.

If people stuck to the threads that applied to them instead of pontificating elsewhere the world would be a far happier place.

I have no need to comment on threads about pattaya, Chiang Mai, bangkok or Nakkon Nowhere unless the DIRECTLY affect me- why do other feel the need to stick their noses into stuff that is not relevant to them

Edited by Psimbo

11 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

If people stuck to the threads that applied to them instead of pontificating elsewhere the world would be a far happier place.

I have no need to comment on threads about pattaya, Chiang Mai, bangkok or Nakkon Nowhere unless the DIRECTLY affect me- why do other feel the need to stick their noses into stuff that is not relevant to them

Then why are you commenting.  Funny, the title of this site is Thai visa  so why don't you go take a flying you know what.

Besides if you actually read the article the statement from the immigration official represents no change or clarification whatsoever. 

Edited by Robins

13 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Now you are confusing the issue Merijn………...

Just to be clear, Phuket immigration will still accept the embassy income letter as long it is combined with the required and accepted paperwork. From embassies other than those listed below...….

For the UK, USA, Australia etc the affidavit/letter (as long they still supply them) together with the government pension statement. Until they stop being issued in December.

Add...…..they will still accept the embassy letter (with supporting income docs) until mid next year provided it is obtained before the cut-off date sometime this December.

True......….For other countries the income certificate with supporting documents, same as before. (nothing changed for them)

That's it surely Merijn.

Sorry if it is confusing ????

The embassies from those countries will stop issuing the income letters/affidavits in December but the affidavit remains valid for 6 months.

So if a person from Australia for example gets the affidavit on time AND has the government pension statement it can be used for the extension within the 6 months validation date of the affidavit. (theoretically until June 2019)

If the person does not have the affidavit from the embassy he only can use the bank account option for the extension.

This is how it stands at this moment for Phuket immigration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Possibly because they know more about the subject. There are zero Embassies in Phuket and Thai immigration decisions and regulations are not made there either.

I recall Phuket immigration spouting off before and getting over-ruled.

Edited by jacko45k

2 hours ago, Yewbzee said:

You speak about 800,000 like its a lottery jackpot. How much do you think the average falang needs for living expenses in one year? That isn't a lot of money especially if you have a family here. I wish I could get by on only 800k per year and I'm no big spender to be honest.

I have my monthly pension deposited into the US and use my bank debit card when I need Thai baht.  My bank does not charge ATM fees.  I use a US credit card for most purchases since I earn money for using it.  I certainly wouldn't want to travel using a Thai bank card.

I travel internationally generally four times a year.  I don't need money in a Thai bank earning zip interest because Thai Immigration would prefer that.  For you guys that don't invest in the market or spend time in other countries, then I guess depositing 800,000 baht in a Thai bank is okay.    

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

It would be interesting to count up the number of replies written by people in PHUKET and actually affected by this- i reckon we could get the thread down to one page! ????

I m one, but what’s your point?

10 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

I have my monthly pension deposited into the US and use my bank debit card when I need Thai baht.  My bank does not charge ATM fees.  I use a US credit card for most purchases since I earn money for using it.  I certainly wouldn't want to travel using a Thai bank card.

I travel internationally generally four times a year.  I don't need money in a Thai bank earning zip interest because Thai Immigration would prefer that.  For you guys that don't invest in the market or spend time in other countries, then I guess depositing 800,000 baht in a Thai bank is okay.    

I do the same thing, have for 10 years,   Calpers my pension provider will not deposit money in a foreign bank account.  I didn't even have a Thai bank account until I opened one last week.  

I've got American bank statements showing a year's worth of Thai ATM withdrawals far in excess of the 65,000 Baht a month requited.  

Hope some idiot doesn't have a tizzy tantrum this conversation relevant to all of Thailand does not belong in a Phuket thread. 

Edited by Robins
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Possibly because they know more about the subject. There are zero Embassies in Phuket and Thai immigration decisions and regulations are not made there either.

I recall Phuket immigration spouting off before and getting over-ruled.

And I thought you were well informed and good at maths!  Consulates here,or don’t they count?

3 minutes ago, Olmate said:

And I thought you were well informed and good at maths!  Consulates here,or don’t they count?

They aren't Embassies where decisions are made though are they.......

Edited by jacko45k

So, the embassies say they are going to stop issuing the income letters (affidavits) because Immigration has told them they will not accept them without verification by the embassies, which the embassies cannot do. The head of the Phuket office says, of course they will not accept the income letter because the embassies are not going to issue them. ONE way you can prove you have the money is to provide a bank statement showing you have the funds on deposit (in a Thai bank). I'm waiting for the Chief of Immigration to issue a comprehensive policy statement explaining exactly what they will accept. I think they have to accept the monthly income, because it's part of the law, but they can make it difficult or impossible depending on what they demand as proof of the income. It would probably take me eight to ten years to accumulate the lump sum of ฿800,000. so I may very well be screwed.

Edited by Acharn