Family of Dublin man injured in horrific crash in Thailand appeal for help to pay his medical bills

rooster59

5 minutes ago, overherebc said:

As they used to say,

Got a 10 dollar head?

Buy a 10 dollar helmet.

So what's your point?  The helmet is just as good as the best out there.

Trust me, if you get run over by a 10 ton truck then the helmet is immaterial.  But totally fine for head to road collision.

Did you receive a decent education at school?

7 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

In the UK at least a false claim would be considered fraud , pretty sure a woman was convicted of this quite recently.

A guy in the usa was recently charged with fraud when he started a gfm for a guy that had cancer but then kept all the money.  Also read about a couple that started a gfm for a homeless vet, but they kept most if the money, so no you cant just make things up.

5 minutes ago, ericthai said:

A guy in the usa was recently charged with fraud when he started a gfm for a guy that had cancer but then kept all the money.  Also read about a couple that started a gfm for a homeless vet, but they kept most if the money, so no you cant just make things up.

Maybe so but it's got me thinking. ????

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Genericnic said:

I travel a lot and cannot imagine going without travel insurance. I use BUPA International Travel Insurance and it costs me US$337/year - less than US$1/day. (This is not a recommendation for BUPA, just a reflection of what I use. WorldNomads also has very good plans) I am 69 years old so the premium would most likely be less for someone younger. That cost includes 100% medical coverage (unlimited) and optional non-medical coverage and trip cancellation coverage. Motorcycle accidents are not excluded unless part of an "active participation in any motorsport show, motorsport race or motorsport competition." I have never needed to make a claim and, as with all insurance, I hope I never do but it is a cheap price to pay for peace of mind when traveling. 

There is no excuse for traveling without insurance. If you can't afford less than the price of a cup of coffee a day to protect yourself, you probably can't afford to travel.

Just my thoughts on it.

David

Looks like with 34000 baht and LIMITED coverage I am paying too much for my AXA insurance.

Let us know a bit more about that unlimited thing, how long its valid. I guess you're talking about a travel insurance not a national health coverage 365 days?  

But in this particular case he should have had a travel insurance before coming to Thailand. 

As stated here before, why should people that bother about coverage help people who don't bother to have their documents in order before arriving at their holiday destination? 

13 hours ago, missoura said:

It was suggested years ago to charge each tourist one dollar for accident insurance. This year that would be about $30 million bucks. Thailand could cover medical expenses for any tourists seriously injured and still put money in the Thai government's pocket. The slogan might go like this.

Our Money says you'll be Safe in Thailand

I think the concept might actually work...

Not only a splendid idea which will work, but it's for sure needed more than ever....

Edited by ttrd

8 hours ago, Ulic said:

You are indeed fortunate. I just searched BUPA, and when I try to access for Canadian residence it says that they don't insure residents from Canada. I checked Nomad and the one year quoted rate is about $1700 CDN for the basic plan taxes in. 

Insurance that let's you hop countries is pricey, your therefore left with paying through the nose for a short amount of time or getting a policy in each country you visit. It also opens vast possibilities you will not adhere to the fine print somewhere.

although I'll admit bupa seems reasonable if your just sitting in Thailand all year and never leave.

12 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Are these Go-fund-me appeals genuine?  

Some are and some aren't, rather obviously. What other answer is possible to such a question?

12 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Is there any liability if someone just makes up a story and gets money off strangers for nothing?

Supposedly. For example

"All donors who contributed to this GoFundMe campaign will receive a full refund," says GoFundMe spokesperson Bobby Whithorne in an email to Fast Company. "GoFundMe always fully protects donors, which is why we have a comprehensive refund policy in place."
https://www.fastcompany.com/90268602/plot-twist-the-400000-gofundme-for-a-homeless-man-was-all-a-scam

And for example

RCMP charge man with setting up fraudulent Humboldt Broncos GoFundMe
Man has been charged with 5 charges, including fraud and laundering
https://goo.gl/i3HnPA

I have no idea why those peoples Always have those problems. 

I Always have 2!!!!!!! full Insurances: 1 peronal and 1 from my work. They pay every baht ( or whatever) for me and if needed they will bring me home for free from any place in the world.

This all costs me less then 5000bht/year. Why being so stupid, ignorant or whatever just not pay a little extra for that for never have that kind of problems?

I have been sick a few times when i was in Thailand with bills between 3000 and 6000 bht. Even that was insured.

15 hours ago, missoura said:

It was suggested years ago to charge each tourist one dollar for accident insurance. This year that would be about $30 million bucks. Thailand could cover medical expenses for any tourists seriously injured and still put money in the Thai government's pocket. The slogan might go like this.

Why should Thailand, or any country for that matter, be responsible for setting up, and maintaining the administration of such a scheme??

There is already a scheme in place to cover medical costs incurred overseas - it's called 'travel insurance'...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ttrd said:

Not only a splendid idea which will work, but it's for sure needed more than ever....

Needed for who? The few who cant be bothered to sort out their own travel insurance? The irresponsible ones who rely on others to bail them out when shit happens?

17 hours ago, missoura said:

Great idea. Might work like this though....$30m collected, collection cost $3m, administration costs $5m, being ‘available’ for non-repayable loans to those that can dip in $25m. Now in negative territory, no money for medical and losses the fault of foreigners.

18 hours ago, missoura said:

I was an advocate or perhaps even the author of this and similar ideas.

One obstacle is that we all know it will be a slush fund and when push comes to shove, the insurance won't pay either.

Aside from the graft, you'd have to do something like a one form, doctor or hospital filing directly, no bill/invoice. Anyone on valid visa is covered, medical services must accept all accidents.

2 hours ago, Compass Call said:

The thread title says that he is a 'Dublin Man' but his family was in Australia !?

Seems a bit odd that he was in Thailand and his family was in Australia - separate holidays?

Or does he actually live in Australia?

this is really an important matter... Sherlock please help us!

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Foexie said:

I have no idea why those peoples Always have those problems. 

I Always have 2!!!!!!! full Insurances: 1 peronal and 1 from my work. They pay every baht ( or whatever) for me and if needed they will bring me home for free from any place in the world.

This all costs me less then 5000bht/year. Why being so stupid, ignorant or whatever just not pay a little extra for that for never have that kind of problems?

I have been sick a few times when i was in Thailand with bills between 3000 and 6000 bht. Even that was insured.

That's a great plan. Pleàse tell us where I can sign up.

• Like 1