Family of Dublin man injured in horrific crash in Thailand appeal for help to pay his medical bills

rooster59

4 minutes ago, Lisa9454 said:

When traveling overseas you are Required to have Medical Insurance.....if you cant afford it, then you cant afford to travel/have the holiday.

So many times we are reminded of this and yet it is still forgotten or not noted.

It's not Thailands job to cover the Medical Bill or a "Go Fund Me Page" it's our own responsibility......

Whilst I do agree, there is a part of me which sympathises with the plight of this guy. Anyone know if he's still in hospital and where?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

if I  am not sure how  long I will stay in LoS I could start off by buying a 1 month extension,

ie 90 days total, if I fancy staying longer I can extend further while I am in LoS,

quite flexible scheme

Which company is this . I do not visit Norway anymore, only for emergencies , but would be interested in to look at the possibilities for 1 year extension. 

19 hours ago, boonrawdcnx said:

Well obviously he is a tourist who can not purchase a bike here.

Which very likely means he rented one.

Most If this rental places who advertise cars and motorbikes “with insurance” have nothing at all but usually 3rd class insurance which is useless - and the uninformed tourist thinks he has proper insurance when he rents a vehicle.

All these rental places without proper first class insurance be it for cars or motorbikes should be closed down or forced to have proper insurance - period.

They should also check for a valid driving license because it is frightening how many people rent a big bikes here and have no idea how to handle them.

You also see tourists here on a scooter on a 3 Lane Highway riding in the middle lane surrounded by heavy traffic - Deathwish - comes to mind.

Tourists should also be told that it is extremely dangerous to drive here and that a large percentage of the people driving vehicles here on the road have no idea about any traffic rules and regulations and would not pass a driving test in any European country even if they tried all their life!

Many of them also become totally different people once they are behind a wheel in the anonymity of their car.

The stupidity one encounters here every day on the roads is almost to painful to watch.

And then there are those primitive idiots who think they have to race you or others on a public road because they feel they have to be faster than anybody else either because they have a small manhood or a screw loose but are still allowed to drive in this country.

Obviously tourists are not prepared for this onslaught on the roads of Thailand and should already be warned before they enter Thailand in a safety video on the airplane.

Nobody should be allowed to rent them motorbikes or cars without proper insurance.

But most of all Thais should not be allowed to drive without proper insurance because it is them who cause most accidents and most have only a cheap 3rd party insurance which covers almost nothing.

Then again insurance companies here are nothing but a big joke and their cover even when one purchases a first class insurance is ridiculous!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

well, yea... unfortunately you can have all the laws, rules and regulations in the world but without government agencies and a police force capable/able/interested in enforcing them you're just whistling in the wind.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

if.no

Ok , they will probably refuse my application since I have lived abroad for such a long time. 

But I used IF skadeforsikring in the 1990's . Maybe they remember me. 

Two words from the wise to the ill-informed among us in this great forum of mis/dis-information:

(01)

Before casting dispersions and before spruiking mightier-than-thou hyperbole, read the FINE PRINT of your own Travel Insurance Policy to discover how vulnerable YOU are to natural disasters or every-day occurrences.

God forbid you find yourself on/in a motorcycle or bicycle or wheelchair and doing everything right, and still be hit by an idiot with NO insurance.

ALL Travel Insurance Policies categorize ANY and ALL propelled activity, not conducted inside a motor vehicle wearing a seat belt, as HIGH RISK, and therefor is NOT INCLUDED on ANY Standard Policy in the world today.

Even though the policy says it MIGHT include it, the Insurance Underwriters will DENY the claim out-of-hand (out-of-hand means 'refusing without consideration or discussion')!!

Check it out!! See if your Shiny Lilly White Butt is so Shiny after all?

So, for all you "'Keyboard Royalty'" who think your butt is safely insured, DO NOT use or do any of the following:

Drink Alcohol and then Do ANY Movement, Take Non-Prescription Over-the-Counter Medications, Jog, Run, Bicycle, Motorcycle, Dirt-Bike, Go-Kart, Rollerblade, Skate, Skateboard, Jet-Ski, Ski, Banana-Boat, Speedboat, Use a Ferry without Remaining IN Your/Rental Car at ALL Times, Ride in a Taxi WITHOUT Wearing Seat-Belt, Ride in a Mini Van, Take a Public Bus, Transported in an Ambulance, Using a Wheelchair, Transported in a Police Car, Ride a Ferris Wheel, Pay Admission to an Amusement Park, Injure Property or Yourself or Another whilst pushing a Shopping Trolley, Ride an Escalator, Enter a Lift, Workout at a Gym, Do Weights, or any of the multitude of other daily or nightly activities that constitutes forward momentum. If the other party DOES NOT HAVE Insurance, then your in for a BIG SURPRISE!!

(Sex is a 'Borderline' because, technically, the amount of forward momentum is equal to the amount of reverse momentum, therefor, they cancel each other out. You would therefor argue that you or your partner fell off the bed and broke XYZ whilst you were on your WITHDRAWAL STROKE, and, NOT whilst you were on your THRUSTING STROKE). ????

Read the Product Disclosure Document from your Travel Insurance Provider, and then come back here and tell me that you understand ALL THE FINE PRINT AND TECHNICAL JARGON. If you DO I will happily call you a liar. PDD or PDS are documents intentionally peppered with double-meaning wording, designed solely to confuse you, and purposely 'lull' or 'fool' you into a false sense of security.

(02)

It would appear that many readers have either not read the article completely, or, are keyboard-warrior first-responders with expertise in mis-categorizing trauma injuries armed solely with a warrior medical kit (armchair + keyboard + mouse).

Why not comment on the facts, and do not spread false and negative comments that simply show how ill-informed you are.

IF you have FACTS to add - then please ADD THEM!!

Everyone who READS can read the same WORDS as you.

Everyone who READS can read the same LINES as you.

When YOU READ BETWEEN the LINES you READ NOTHING, so you CONTRIBUTE NOTHING!! 

You are NOT Smarter than anyone else!!

You are NOT dumber than anyone else!!

But WHEN YOU MAKE 5H1T UP, you are SHOWING OFF YOUR STUPIDITY!!

Just the FACTS guys and Gals!!

Not the COMMENTARY and BS Please!!

TELECOM66 Out

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Telecom66 said:

ALL Travel Insurance Policies categorize ANY and ALL propelled activity, not conducted inside a motor vehicle wearing a seat belt, as HIGH RISK, and therefor is NOT INCLUDED on ANY Standard Policy in the world today.

Even though the policy says it MIGHT include it, the Insurance Underwriters will DENY the claim out-of-hand (out-of-hand means 'refusing without consideration or discussion')!!

My standard policy includes motorcycles and no might about it. If you can find the word might in a travel insurance policy I'll eat my hat.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2018 at 4:43 PM, LomSak27 said:

No it won't ... If you have 30 million bucks you are going to let it sit around until tourists splatter? Methinks it will get appropriated for many different purposes, including a new Benz, condo for the mia noi, Rolex's, well the list is endless.

The normal thing with Thai officialdom.

On 11/24/2018 at 7:00 PM, Jazz5555 said:

More idiots traveling with no insurance.. it is so inexpensive 

now let’s bludge of other people!

stupid is stupid does

On 11/24/2018 at 7:00 PM, Jazz5555 said:

More idiots traveling with no insurance.. it is so inexpensive 

now let’s bludge of other people!

stupid is stupid does

Try getting travel insurance if you are 70 or over.

• Like 1

Bullshit...all of my travel insurance policies have included coverage for riding a bike under 200cc....clause being need to be licenced..sober and wearing a helmet. I know some policies don't cover bikes at all..most don't cover big bikes..but if u r too dumb, incompetant or lazy to check this...suck it up????

8 hours ago, Telecom66 said:

Actually Mark, using Dragon 15 Pro, and a decent microphone it took me all of 4 minutes to write that quality content.

Probably took me less time than your mis-spelling 3 line snipe.

Ironically, because I dictate, I do not use a keyboard, so I do not fit your ill-aimed "Keyboard Warrior" sarcasm.

0/3 Mark - Sadly you are a Senior Member with not a lot to add.

I did quickly peruse your 122 posts. Not much quality added Mark - almost ALL snide remarks.

I would think senior members would encourage quality content and contributions?

Or did I just hit too close to home with my "Keyboard Warrior" and "Warrior Medical Kit" remarks. Ouch.

You missed the whole point of the contribution Mark.

OneEyedPie:- You also missed what everyone else successfully read.

Read it again - I never said that any policy contains the word "Might".

The fact that you are the only one to pipe up and say your policy is an exception, enforces exactly the message I conveyed - Read you Policy and know what you get. Whilst your policy includes motorcycles, it will have conditions and restrictions applied by the under-writers. The claim is paid by the under-writers and not your Travel Policy issuer. My point was that Travel Insurance policies and Under-writer conditions and restrictions do not always equate.

Caveat Emptor

Oh, Mark, by the way, 01:22 seconds without fingers touching the keys.

Oh, and NO spelling error or Grammatical mistakes.

Amazing how technology brings people into the 21st Century.

Try and be a bit more cheerful with your input.

Maybe a few wise anecdotes or something.

TELECOM66 Out

Going through members previous posts, creepy! as well as moaning about spelling.

Far too much time on your hands, really

Edited by MARK74
  • Like 1

On 11/24/2018 at 1:18 PM, findlay13 said:

I don't want to be cruel ,and I don't know if this is the case but anyone who rides a MC in Thailand with no safety gear and helmet ...............

I'll refrain from further comment????

Recommend a tourist to wear safety gear when riding a  bike in Thailand, you get two common answers:
1) It's too hot and no problem at all because of experienced riding.
2) I know the fine for not wearing a helmet is just 400Baht.
Most just give you a stupid smile...

• Like 1

On 11/24/2018 at 6:33 AM, evadgib said:

The GFM page is very well written which is always a good start. I won't comment any further other than to wish the family well.

Suppose if one had a way with words and did not mind twisting the facts one could make a good living editing and managing GFM begging pages for a 20% commission... 

On 11/25/2018 at 9:11 PM, HalfLight said:

Whilst I do agree, there is a part of me which sympathises with the plight of this guy. Anyone know if he's still in hospital and where?

If as previously suggested, the Thai government put a small levy on every visa to cover travel insurance, there would be no need for these GFM appeals and people who are over 70 and cannot get insurance, would also be covered.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2018 at 6:45 AM, MARK74 said:

Going through members previous posts, creepy! as well as moaning about spelling.

Far too much time on your hands, really

Ah Mark (Yawn) you are rather repetitive.

Actually your posts contained so little substance that there was nothing really to "read" - I was being polite and using the word in a purely figurative manner actually.

TELECOM66 Out

On 11/28/2018 at 3:15 AM, Gas666 said:

Bullshit...all of my travel insurance policies have included coverage for riding a bike under 200cc....clause being need to be licenced..sober and wearing a helmet. I know some policies don't cover bikes at all..most don't cover big bikes..but if u r too dumb, incompetant or lazy to check this...suck it up????

Hello Gas666,

"clause being need to be licenced..sober and wearing a helmet" = "Even though the policy says it MIGHT include it, the Insurance Underwriters will DENY the claim". 

You have just listed the 3 "Burdens of Proof" your Travel Insurance underwriters have already stated they intend to use against you to deny the claim. 

Whilst you may or may not be licenced and able to produce it as evidence, the burden of proof still rests with you to prove you were, either and or, not under the influence of alcohol or drugs, AND, that you were wearing a helmet.

Better hope there is a working traffic CCTV camera just before your accident, and an attentive resident in the hospital's Emergency Room!!

"but if u r too dumb, incompetant or lazy to check this...suck it up????"

Well Gass666, where do I begin.

ignoring the facts that you technically did not even start the sentence, used 3 dots instead of a hyphen, did not capitalize the first letter, started a sentence with the word BUT or AND, typed "u" instead of typing "you", typed "r" instead of typing "are" spelt the word incompetent wrong, did not put a comma after your incorrectly spelt word "incompetent", again used 3 dots instead of a hyphen, not capitalizing the 'S' in suck, and last but not least, not finish the sentence with a period.

I think you have made it clear for all to see and read that, it is not "I" that is, either and or, DUMB or LAZY? 

Starting your post with the word BULLSHIT, and, finishing with a quality "suck it up" with a "Pile of Poo" emoji?

Again Gas666, I think you have made it clear for all to see and read that, it is not "I" that is, either and or, DUMB or LAZY?

And before you say that I started a sentence with the word BUT, it is a QUOTE, not a SENTENCE!!

"You are NOT Smarter than anyone else!!

You are NOT dumber than anyone else!!

But WHEN YOU MAKE 5H1T UP, you are SHOWING OFF YOUR STUPIDITY!!"

TELECOM66 Out

1 hour ago, Telecom66 said:

To put the discussion back on track and finalized:

Alan has now been discharged from the Hospital in Phuket, and already flown back to Sydney.

TELECOM66 Out

I understood that he is Irish and from Dublin which is a long way from Sydney ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

I understood that he is Irish and from Dublin which is a long way from Sydney ?

Hey Huckenfell,

Yes, as you can read from the GoFundMe page, he is a Dublin-born Irishman who lives in Sydney Australia with his wife and baby daughter, who was on holiday in Thailand.

Extracted from the GoFundMe Updates Page his family setup:

Update provided by Mags Penrose: "We are delighted to share the news that Alan has been cleared by his attending doctors to fly, and he has arrived back in Sydney (accompanied by his Dad) to continue his treatment there. He is so excited to see Mel, and to be able to give his daughter Kia a huge hug. It has being a very difficult two weeks for Alan but the fighter he is, stands to his remarkable progress so far. He has received excellent medical support in the Thai hospital. He will have some time to go with his recovery whilst receiving medical assistance at home, and certainly faces further challenges over the coming weeks and months, but he has made great progress this far. 
Your support and generosity has been overwhelming and meant everything in Alan’s recovery. Our families can’t thank you enough for your donations. 

TELECOM66 Out

Edited by Telecom66
Link provided to GoFundMe Update Page

10 hours ago, Telecom66 said:

To put the discussion back on track and finalized:

Alan has now been discharged from the Hospital in Phuket, and already flown back to Sydney.

TELECOM66 Out

You appear eager to end this discussion which has evolved into a thread concerning important issues regarding health insurance abroad and not just specifics of the op's case.

21 hours ago, Dick Crank said:

You appear eager to end this discussion which has evolved into a thread concerning important issues regarding health insurance abroad and not just specifics of the op's case.

Hello Dick,

"this discussion which has evolved into a thread concerning important issues regarding health insurance abroad"

Whilst I cannot agree more with your sentiments Dick, but, aforesaid "discussion concerning important issues regarding health insurance abroad" should not be buried on Pages 10-11-12 of the "family of dublin man injured in horrific crash in thailand appeal for help to pay his medical bills" thread.

Why not start a new thread with the heading "Important Issues Regarding Health Insurance Abroad" so that the heading actually contains all the relevant content being hidden here. Get the Moderators to Sticky it to the Top of the Forum due to it's importance and relevance to all. That way all foreigners can access that information with a quick relevant search!!

Do not forget Dick that there are New Members joining daily, and wading through every thread to find the Golden Nuggets of information that this forum often produces, results in aforesaid Golden Nuggets more-often-than-not being lost or buried in obscurity.

Seems more logical to me to have them concentrated upfront as a highlighted specific topic - Just Saying...

TELECOM66 Out

On 12/5/2018 at 3:37 PM, Telecom66 said:

Hey Huckenfell,

Yes, as you can read from the GoFundMe page, he is a Dublin-born Irishman who lives in Sydney Australia with his wife and baby daughter, who was on holiday in Thailand.

Extracted from the GoFundMe Updates Page his family setup:

TELECOM66 Out

Sorry, i did.nt get that bit about Australia. But so many go overseas from oz without adequate insurance or the understanding of conditions, We see them flying around Samui on 125 c m/c  half pissed and no crash helmets, utter irresponsible fools.