• Latest posts...

1. 0

Passenger Van Crashes into 18-Wheeler Truck, Passengers Injured

2. 8

Thailand Live Monday 14 October 2024

3. 304

Israel Hamas War the Widening Middle East Conflict

4. 0

Over 200 Vehicles Damaged After Municipality Resurfaces Road Without Warning Signs

5. 8

6. 304

7. 0

Newborn Survives After Being Abandoned in Long Grass: Phetchabun

8. 304

9. 8

10. 1

Nonthaburi: Man Caught on CCTV Stealing Sandals for Sexual Gratification

11. 0

Forklift Driver Crushed by One Ton of Steel Bars in Suphanburi

12. 8

13. 1

Advice on supporting family please

14. 1

Nonthaburi: Man Caught on CCTV Stealing Sandals for Sexual Gratification

Australian PM holds emergency meeting as election rout looms

webfact

Australian PM holds emergency meeting as election rout looms

By Colin Packham

2018-11-25T224411Z_1_LYNXNPEEAO0VW_RTROPTP_4_AUSTRALIA-JAPAN.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Australia's Prime Minister Scott Morrison speaks during the INPEX Gala Dinner in Darwin, Australia November 16, 2018. David Moir/Pool via REUTERS

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison held an emergency meeting with members of his embattled Liberal party on Monday as his minority government stared down the barrel at a heavy election defeat within the next six months.

Morrison met lawmakers from southern Victoria, Australia's second-most populous state, where voters overwhelmingly turned against the Liberals in a state election on Saturday, stoking panic within the Liberal-National coalition.

Australian Treasurer Josh Frydenberg, who is from Victoria, said the meeting was productive but declined to specify what was said.

"We had a good, honest discussion about lessons to be learned from the state campaign," Frydenberg told reporters in Canberra.

The meeting came just hours after Australia's pre-eminent opinion poll showed the government on course for a heavy defeat by the Labor opposition at the next national election, which is due by May.

A Newspoll for The Australian newspaper showed Morrison's government was on course to lose 21 seats in the 150-seat lower house of parliament. The Newspoll showed support of just 35 percent for the government, just one percentage point above its record low.

With such a heavy loss on the horizon, liberal and more conservative elements of Morrison's party clashed publicly over the need to change policy.

Tim Wilson, a backbench lawmaker from Victoria, said the state result showed voters wanted the government to move away from fossil fuels such as coal.

Former prime minister Tony Abbott dismissed the suggestion, arguing for stronger conservative policies.

The split came as Morrison faces a hostile parliament for the first time since his government was confirmed in minority.

Morrison lost his one-seat parliamentary majority earlier in November when an independent candidate won a by-election for the affluent Sydney seat held by former prime minister Malcolm Turnbull, who quit politics after he was ousted in a party-room coup in August.

Morrison struck a deal with an independent lawmaker to continue ruling in minority but the government faces an anxious final two-week parliamentary session for the year.

Labor could seek a parliamentary vote to demand Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton be referred to Australia's High Court for a ruling on whether he is eligible to remain as a sitting member.

Dutton, who has financial interests in daycare centres that receive government funding, risks falling foul of Australia's constitution, which bans lawmakers from benefiting from state funds.

The government's most senior legal adviser said earlier this year Dutton was eligible, although Labor is pressing independents to support a court referral.

(Reporting by Colin Packham; Additional reporting by Sonali Paul in MELBOURNE; Editing by Peter Cooney and Paul Tait)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-11-26

4 hours ago, Old Croc said:

One thing about Tony, he sticks to his beliefs, no matter how archaic or unpopular. I think there's a big chance he will lose his "safe" seat in the election. It would devastate him, comically he still harbors thoughts on becoming PM again! 

Maybe he thinks he can do the same as his mentor Howard and rise again.

Honestly though, how could you vote for either of the so called leaders. At least Thailand will, maybe, sometime have a choice of different sorts.

Well, Australia will once again have to decide between the bad or worst of what is on offer at an election. Compulsory voting seems a contradiction in my mind when arguably, not voting could be exercising one’s democratic rights. However, as it is in place and penalties apply for not voting I think this ‘system’ should always have an option to express dismay at the candidates by having an ‘I prefer not to vote due to the quality of choices’ box. As it is, even a deliberate defacing or scrawled commment about how unhappy a voter is on a ballot paper goes down as a ‘donkey vote’ rather than what it really is. 

Of course Shorten and the Labour Party can be relied upon or fix things like the deficit.......ROFLMAO.

• Like 1

I would like to see Australia take a more realistic attitude to New Zealand. We are not Australia's Mexicans and a great majority of Kiwi's there contribute to the wealth of Australia. While kiwi pay the same taxes as Australians we as a Nation are denied the same benefits. In NZ Australians are the same as New Zealanders and all other Citizens and residents in treatment and benefits.

Why does Australia persist in deporting people who have lived their entire adult lives in Australia (post 14 years) back to NZ as they are criminals. Australia made them this not NZ. We accept those who were 15 or over as they are Our problem. Australia just like Britain before them likes to export their criminals and make their creations other Countries problems.

I hope following this election that the current NZ Government will cover these issues with the new Australian Government.

Failing to address these issues NZ should look at freezing then withdrawal from C.E.R and Military Co operation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sir Swagman said:

Well, Australia will once again have to decide between the bad or worst of what is on offer at an election. Compulsory voting seems a contradiction in my mind when arguably, not voting could be exercising one’s democratic rights. However, as it is in place and penalties apply for not voting I think this ‘system’ should always have an option to express dismay at the candidates by having an ‘I prefer not to vote due to the quality of choices’ box. As it is, even a deliberate defacing or scrawled commment about how unhappy a voter is on a ballot paper goes down as a ‘donkey vote’ rather than what it really is. 

Of course Shorten and the Labour Party can be relied upon or fix things like the deficit.......ROFLMAO.

Voting in elections in Australia has NEVER been compulsory.

Turning up on election day and having your name marked off the electoral roll IS !

After your name is marked off you can toss the ballot papers on the floor ,make a party hat , a dart  or just plain walk out the door.

Victorians  are fed up with having little or no  representation in Canberra even though we are one of the most populous and advanced states.  Canberra is full of rednecks and real estate agents from NSW and QLD.  Victorian  taxpayers money has been used for decades to build  vast highways across  almost empty unpopulated wasteland   particularly in WA,QLD and  NT.  Victorians money had to rebuild Darwin after cyclone tracy in 1974.

Most of Australia outside Victoria and coastal NSW and Sth QLD  is  wasteland .

We should of sold WA to the Japs in the fifties. Australia would now have a trading partner with maybe 20 millions within driving distance.  The Japs would of developed WA in less than 2o years.

Today its just a wasteland full of redneck pubs and  football teams subsidised by the AFL in Melb'ne.

If Labor returns to powerethe unions will have that country by the balls if they havent already.

Bleak times ahead for OZ. Its been coming for years. The young & spoilt millenium generation will have a fit.

56 minutes ago, lanista said:

Voting in elections in Australia has NEVER been compulsory.

Turning up on election day and having your name marked off the electoral roll IS !

After your name is marked off you can toss the ballot papers on the floor ,make a party hat , a dart  or just plain walk out the door.

Victorians  are fed up with having little or no  representation in Canberra even though we are one of the most populous and advanced states.  Canberra is full of rednecks and real estate agents from NSW and QLD.  Victorian  taxpayers money has been used for decades to build  vast highways across  almost empty unpopulated wasteland   particularly in WA,QLD and  NT.  Victorians money had to rebuild Darwin after cyclone tracy in 1974.

Most of Australia outside Victoria and coastal NSW and Sth QLD  is  wasteland .

We should of sold WA to the Japs in the fifties. Australia would now have a trading partner with maybe 20 millions within driving distance.  The Japs would of developed WA in less than 2o years.

Today its just a wasteland full of redneck pubs and  football teams subsidised by the AFL in Melb'ne.

If Labor returns to powerethe unions will have that country by the balls if they havent already.

Bleak times ahead for OZ. Its been coming for years. The young & spoilt millenium generation will have a fit.

I'm presuming this is just normal trolling by yet another egotistical  Victorian who's never travelled far in his own country.

Not represented in Canberra!  There have been 11 Vic PMs. (none from SA and 1 from WA and he was born in Vic)

Vic money pays for everything!  That state was propped up by minerals money from WA and QLD  at a time when it only slowly dawned on the dim populous that their manufacturing economy was defunct in the face of competition from Asia. Their economy was held together by the rest of Australia until they could climb out of the mire. Perhaps I could take back the money I contributed to Darwin after the cyclone and cut ties with the refugee lady and her child that I assisted after evacuation. I do 

AFL!   In 1987 the Vic competition was fast going down the drain and looking at closures and mergers of several of the foundation clubs.  It was pulled out of the dung by the, $4 million each, fee that the they charged the joining WA and QLD clubs to prop them up. Many of the old Vic brigade still rail against the national competition and continue to think of it as the VFL. They have arrogantly locked in the grand finals at their home ground for decades to come.

Thanks for providing an insight into small Victorian thought processes.

As an Englishman I read of the rise of ethnic minority violence in Melbourne, mainly of Sudanese derivation (APEX gangs?), it seems. The existing Victorian / Melbourne political parasites seem to be , like the UK, frightened of facing and dealing with this  situation, yet still the voters elect more of the same, Labour  (tax and spend?, not on protecting their constituents).   Perhaps these politicians have not been home invaded, robbed, car jacked,raped....if they had the situation would be dealt with. We are the same in the UK, sheep, voting for the existing status quo... look where it has got us, sold down the river by the perfidious woman who purports to be our PM Theresa 'Appeaser' May. Where has the Australian individualist character gone, subdued in the easy pc lifestyle, like the Brits, conned by the political/union/media elite, slowly being drained of courage and blood by the parasitic unemployable migrants. Look at the UK, this is where you are going...loss of the right of free expression..loss of national identity....STOP......Save yourselves

whilst you still can through the ballot box, elect politicians that can realistically govern Australia for Australians, not every other rorter that holds out his/her hand for assistance, to the detriment of Australians.

Edited by John1012
  • Like 2

For Lanista who considers Victoria to be the most advanced state and Canberra to be full of rednecks. et al.

The following results of national IQ testing in 2002,  hosted on television by that famous Victorian, Eddie Everywhere, are as follows:

Following are the results from Nine’s broadcast of THE NATIONAL IQ TEST 2002:

Australia’s smartest states and territories
   ACT – 114
   Western Australia – 111
   Queensland – 111
   Tasmania – 111
   New South Wales – 110
   South Australia – 109
   Northern Territory – 108
   Victoria – 107

Australia’s smartest city
   Canberra – 114
   Perth – 112
   Brisbane –112
   Hobart – 110
   Sydney – 110
   Adelaide – 110
   Darwin – 108
   Melbourne – 107

• Like 1

On 11/26/2018 at 1:24 PM, PatOngo said:

Thankfully in Australia. the people decide who governs. NOT THE MILITARY!

LOL!!!!!!!!  What a bunch of BS..  have you not seen the history of Australian PM's over the last X years???  How many at the end of the Governments term were voted by the people...?  I havnt seen one for a fair while now.  Tell me thats not Dictator-like!

• Like 1

On 11/27/2018 at 7:42 AM, Kiwiken said:

I would like to see Australia take a more realistic attitude to New Zealand. We are not Australia's Mexicans and a great majority of Kiwi's there contribute to the wealth of Australia. While kiwi pay the same taxes as Australians we as a Nation are denied the same benefits. In NZ Australians are the same as New Zealanders and all other Citizens and residents in treatment and benefits.

Why does Australia persist in deporting people who have lived their entire adult lives in Australia (post 14 years) back to NZ as they are criminals. Australia made them this not NZ. We accept those who were 15 or over as they are Our problem. Australia just like Britain before them likes to export their criminals and make their creations other Countries problems.

I hope following this election that the current NZ Government will cover these issues with the new Australian Government.

Failing to address these issues NZ should look at freezing then withdrawal from C.E.R and Military Co operation.

I know of one Kiwi who was receiving an Australian Disability Pension, so I'm not sure your claim is correct.

I don't see anything wrong with New Zealand deporting Australian criminals back to Australia. Are you saying NZ won't/can't do that?

I think it was Robert Muldoon who said Kiwis migrating to Australia simultaneously improved the average IQ of both countries.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I know of one Kiwi who was receiving an Australian Disability Pension, so I'm not sure your claim is correct.

I don't see anything wrong with New Zealand deporting Australian criminals back to Australia. Are you saying NZ won't/can't do that?

I think it was Robert Muldoon who said Kiwis migrating to Australia simultaneously improved the average IQ of both countries.

Muldoon was a narcissist . Sadly we do not deport many criminals. My point is someone who has spent their formative years 14 and under in Australia are an Australian by assimilation. Someone who has spent their first 15 years in NZ has a kiwi culture. I am saying deport those who were over 14 when they went to Australia but do not dump those who know nothing but Australia back onto us.

I am all for deporting Adults who offend regardless of where they are from however if they were under 14 when they came here I accept it is our problem

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kiwiken said:

Muldoon was a narcissist . Sadly we do not deport many criminals. My point is someone who has spent their formative years 14 and under in Australia are an Australian by assimilation. Someone who has spent their first 15 years in NZ has a kiwi culture. I am saying deport those who were over 14 when they went to Australia but do not dump those who know nothing but Australia back onto us.

I am all for deporting Adults who offend regardless of where they are from however if they were under 14 when they came here I accept it is our problem

Don't think I can agree with you. Victoria has Sudanese gangs who certainly have come here under age 14, and equally certainly have not assimilated. Ditto Lebanese drug families.

I suppose it depends on the seriousness of the offence. I fail to see why murderers and rapists should be mollycoddled by any government, irrespective of the age they landed in either country.

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 1:42 PM, Kiwiken said:

Why does Australia persist in deporting people who have lived their entire adult lives in Australia (post 14 years) back to NZ as they are criminals.

Because they are smart enough to get rid of an expensive problem?

If the NZ government had a clue ( which it doesn't ) it would do the same to Aussie citizens in NZ as they do to NZers in Oz, but I guess NZ needs Aussie more than visa versa.

One thing is for sure, the ANZAC spirit is dead and buried.

Hopefully in future, that means the NZ armed forces won't be buying any more junk, just because the Aussies buy it. At least they dumped those garbage Aussie rifles and bought some decent ones.

15 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If they want a chance to get re elected, reinstate Abbott, or he'll be leading the opposition, again.

Paul Keating said of Andrew Peacock a souffle only rises once. Abbott won't float again after he's been sunk. Like something else that floats initially.

I'm predicting the Liberals will lose in a landslide at the next election, irrespective of who is leading them. And they have Abbott to thank for sending them into the wilderness for at least a decade.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/27/2018 at 11:27 AM, John1012 said:

As an Englishman I read of the rise of ethnic minority violence in Melbourne, mainly of Sudanese derivation (APEX gangs?), it seems. The existing Victorian / Melbourne political parasites seem to be , like the UK, frightened of facing and dealing with this  situation, yet still the voters elect more of the same, Labour  (tax and spend?, not on protecting their constituents).   Perhaps these politicians have not been home invaded, robbed, car jacked,raped....if they had the situation would be dealt with. We are the same in the UK, sheep, voting for the existing status quo... look where it has got us, sold down the river by the perfidious woman who purports to be our PM Theresa 'Appeaser' May. Where has the Australian individualist character gone, subdued in the easy pc lifestyle, like the Brits, conned by the political/union/media elite, slowly being drained of courage and blood by the parasitic unemployable migrants. Look at the UK, this is where you are going...loss of the right of free expression..loss of national identity....STOP......Save yourselves

whilst you still can through the ballot box, elect politicians that can realistically govern Australia for Australians, not every other rorter that holds out his/her hand for assistance, to the detriment of Australians.

Spoken like someone who’s never spent any time in Melbourne.

Best stick to your daily telegraph cause the success of Melbourne as a strong multicultural city clearly confuses you.

The reasons why the Tories lost so comprehensively this election was pretty simple. For months the electorate was being told to fear for their lives. One Federal minister from Queensland, trying to out redneck Pauline Hanson, even said that people in Melbourne were too scared to go out to dinner. 

The voters of Victoria looked around and clearly saw all this was BS. What they saw was the fastest growing state economy in Australia, set to over take Sydney as Australia’s largest city. A Labor government delivering successive budget surpluses, and building long neglected infrastructure needed to handle this forecast growth. 

The redneck siren song receives short shrift in Victoria, it always has and hopefully always will.

The usual suspects keep trying with every new wave of migrants. The Greeks, Italians, Vietnamese and now he Sudanese. Mafia, Triads and now Apex.

All scary names I guess for the feeble minded. Not the people of Victoria. 

Edited by samran
  • Like 2

On 11/28/2018 at 8:03 AM, Lacessit said:

Any kiwi arriving before feb 2001 is essentially treated as a permanent resident for immigration and welfare purposes reflecting the long held convention of the CER treaty. 

Following that that date, Howard citing the kiwi dole bludger myth made any kiwi arriving after that date effectively temporary migrants with work rights and restricted access to services and stupidly, no effective path to citizenship from their granted visa status.

This has caught a lot of people out given they can’t chanfe their status. Changes by Dutton as well means that anyone with a cumulative 1 year of detention is now liable for deportation. It is is retrospective meaning someone who may have committed their crime - and done their time - 20 years ago and has since lived a law abiding life can be liable for deportation.

The minister also can unilaterally cancel someone’s visa by citing bad character. Just like the NZ former SAS officer who guarded the NZ PM on visit to Afghanistan was deported from WA when he went to visit some of his bikie mates in prison. 

Hence the spike in kiwi deportations. 

Incidentally Australians arriving in NZ are still considered as permanent residents and do have an much clearer path to citizenship. 

• Like 1