Tesco Lotus To Drop Disposable Plastic Bags Next Week

webfact

23 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Was wondering what you make of this now that the BRITISH company has apologised for people thinking they had done something good and instead confirmed that this is a one day initiative only.

Is it now a THAI company?

No. Originally Tesco Lotus was associated with CP group but they sold their shares back to Tesco. Headquarters is at Ek-Chai Distribution in Bangkok with a mix of Western and Thai executives. The headquarters of the parent company is based at Tesco House in Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire, England.

3 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

No. Originally Tesco Lotus was associated with CP group but they sold their shares back to Tesco. Headquarters is at Ek-Chai Distribution in Bangkok with a mix of Western and Thai executives. The headquarters of the parent company is based at Tesco House in Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire, England.

Delivered wine to Tesco in Welwyn Garden City. Great place to be at Christmas and the new year.

21 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Yes indeed, thanks for that.  I think you know the point I was getting at and you've just illustrated it again nicely - you shouting about it being an all-caps BRITISH company showing the Thais the way forward when it seemed like they were pioneering.  

Now they have gone back on it and it is a totally pointless exercise it is now acknowledged that it was originally CP owned, but is now operated by Ek-Chai with a mixture of Thai and foreign executives; ie. it is not so shouty BRITISH.

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

A change in consciousness must start at the most basic level. Most Thais think plastic is the best thing ever invented, and the percentage of Thais that even consider the negative ramifications of plastic is incredibly small. This requires some education. I always do two things to avoid the consumption of plastic.

2. I bring a bottle of water with me, every time I go to a restaurant. I refill my plastic bottles from the 20 liter bottles at home. It is easy. I never buy bottled water at a restaurant. This saves 300-600 bottles a year. I use a plastic bottle dozens of times. I never get any flack from the restaurants. Only once did someone say something to me. She said you cannot bring you own water. My response was if you serve the water in a glass bottle, and I do not have to consume a plastic bottle, I am happy to pay for that. She was lost. I told her to leave and get me my food. She went away. 

We simply cannot say we are concerned about the environment, and then do nothing about it. Action demonstrates commitment. Lack of action demonstrates nothing. 

Lastly, restaurants can demonstrate their commitment, by serving drinking water from the 20 liter bottles. It saves alot of plastic. They lose a small amount of revenue, by not selling thousands of bottles of water. But, their operation is still profitable, and they are making a real difference. 

There really is not need to be consuming water in plastic bottles. At least not often. There are alternatives. Those damn bottles are a real culprit, when it comes to fouling the environment. What can we do, if we say we care? The issue of BPA and chemicals leaching from the bottles can easily be avoided by purchasing these bottles shown here. They are on ebay, and shipping to Thailand is either free or less than $1. The bottles are one liter, and a half liter. The plastic ones are only $2-3 each. Worth it. I use them daily. 

s-l1600-1.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Unfortunately it's dangerous to reuse most of the plastic bottles - or all of them - that bottled water comes in.

Dangerous leaching of plastic.

https://www.verywellfit.com/can-i-reuse-my-bottled-water-bottle-3435422

The bottles you show in the pictures sounds like a solution. Certainly the metallic ones should be safe.

Edited by JimmyJ

22 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Unfortunately it's dangerous to reuse most of the plastic bottles - or all of them - that bottled water comes in.

The bottles you show in the pictures sounds like a solution. Certainly the metallic ones should be safe.

Your link seems to say there's no evidence of these "toxic chemicals".  The concern is about the plasticizers, which aren't exactly "toxic" but suspected hormone disruptions.  If there is any concern, it's more for children who are still developing.  But children are not likely to be recycling their drinking containers in the first place.

"Disposable water bottles are usually made of polyethylene terephthalate (PET). At this time, there is no solid evidence that reusing PET water bottles will raise your risks of chemicals leaching into the water. [snip] PET is approved for both single-use and repeated use as a drink container by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Health Canada, European Food Safety Authority, and other health and safety agencies worldwide. PET has been tested extensively and no evidence of migration of toxic amounts of chemicals from the plastic to the contents has been found."

The second issue is microbial growth, but as your link says, that's a problem with any sort of container.  Don't people wash their dishes once in a while?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Good news, let us hope more follow. I will, however, make one small point if I may. When I go to Lotus in Market Village Hua Hin I take a big bag with me that I keep in the truck. It is folded up, and I place it in the child seat of the trolley. I have been asked by security on a number of occasions that I have to check the bag into the depository ( for want of a better word ), where I get a token. Then retrieve it on my way out. When I explain it is empty, and folded up I am met with a blank look. So.....I pay for my shopping, go back to the entrance, collect my canvas bag, transfer my shopping from the plastic bags to the canvas bag, leave the plastic bags in the trolley and walk out..........:crazy:

Ridiculous wasting bags, put them in cart no bags , geezus

22 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Good news, let us hope more follow. I will, however, make one small point if I may. When I go to Lotus in Market Village Hua Hin I take a big bag with me that I keep in the truck. It is folded up, and I place it in the child seat of the trolley. I have been asked by security on a number of occasions that I have to check the bag into the depository ( for want of a better word ), where I get a token. Then retrieve it on my way out. When I explain it is empty, and folded up I am met with a blank look. So.....I pay for my shopping, go back to the entrance, collect my canvas bag, transfer my shopping from the plastic bags to the canvas bag, leave the plastic bags in the trolley and walk out..........:crazy:

Thai logic. Its why this wont last past december

21 minutes ago, quadperfect said:

Thai logic. Its why this wont last past december

If they are not given plastic bags of course it will last.
What, will they all stop eating? What did their grandparents do before plastic bags were available?
It seems to work elsewhere:countries in Asia that have bans or taxes in place include Bangladesh, Cambodia, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, and Taiwan.
I still have and use a sturdy woven,

reusable plastic bag I received in Taiwan two years ago.

Edited by Bill Miller

1 hour ago, JimmyJ said:

The bottles shown are made of a harder plastic, and are BPA free. You are correct about re-using normal plastic bottles. But, these are cheap, shipping from China is free, and they are readily available on e-bay.

2 hours ago, samsensam said:

i wish these organisations would take a break from publicising how environmentally friendly they are becoming and actually tell their staff. time after time i am given or offered unnecessary plastic bags by staff, the main culprit is 7/11.

There is, it seems, a campaign of some sort. I refused a plastic bag and proffered my carry bag at a local 7/11 the other day, and the girl was like "Oh, yeah!" , and all smiles.

14 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

If they stop using plastic bags, how will I be able to carry my 6 plastic bottles of water home, the ones that are wrapped in plastic!

I get water delivered to my house every week and have a pump that fits in the top of the jug.  The jugs are returned each week.  I still filter even though it is filtered.  I check it by using it for ice cubes.  They slide out easy if not particles in the water.  Cost 30 baht and has been the same for 10 years. 

water-bottle-racks-jugs-5galip2-64_1000.jpg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I am not sure what you are saying here.
You talk about the danger of chemical leaching, then post a link to an article that says there is NO danger of leaching from modern bottles.
I refill a couple of six liter water bottles at my condo's RO machine all of the time. Costs five baht each. I then (sometimes) use a washed out Coke Zero bottle with label removed to carry with me. Not all the time, because I am disabled, and it can be difficult to manage, but I try. ????
Yeah, I am a subversive "libtard" who took the ZPG pledge (Zero Population Growth) at university, and kept it. I am not a fanatic with it, but make an effort to spare the planet for YOUR children and grandchildren. I hope you will. too.
YOU being all, Mike, 555. Not picking on ya. ????

Edited by Bill Miller
Clarification.

So instead of properly disposing of plastic, they will increase the rate of deforestation by using more trees to make all these paper bags.  

Years ago,  a company I worked with removed all the paper cups to save the trees, replaced them with plastic.  

If people simply re-used and recycled rather than dispose, we would have none of these issues 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, manarak said:

and why the bags are not simply replaced with biodegradable plastic bags remains a mystery.

I think there must be some problem with them, as they have been available for quite awhile now, made from cornstarch, etc.
My guess would be a couple of cents more cost per 100. ????

8 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

So instead of properly disposing of plastic, they will increase the rate of deforestation by using more trees to make all these paper bags.  

Years ago,  a company I worked with removed all the paper cups to save the trees, replaced them with plastic.  

If people simply re-used and recycled rather than dispose, we would have none of these issues 

I think trees are specifically grown to make paper.  It's called pulpwood.  Grown like any other crop - takes a bit longer. 

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5910b6723a041193b95b8189/t/59247ce66b8f5bac8400a287/1495563496041/How+Are+Trees+Grown+for+Paper.pdf

Edited by marcusarelus

With take out food I'll say "No utensils. No straws" but out of habit restaurants throw it in automatically.

The worst part is the solid plastic containers for the food. The only way around it would be to bring something non-plastic/reusable for them to put the food in. Perhaps they would agree with that, although it may even be against food safety rules for a restaurant to do that (I realize that rules are often overlooked).

Edited by JimmyJ

3 hours ago, webfact said:

On Dec. 4, Tesco Lotus will replace the plastic bags it offers customers with paper at all of its roughly 2,000 stores. The store will also encourage customers to bring their own cloth bags.

So the miserable officious jobsworths who are stationed outside Tesco Lotus stores with the sole and avowed aim of preventing anyone from entering with anything which might resemble a reusable bag are not now being given the sack but merely the day off on 4th December, then!

Edited by OJAS

3 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

What if you don't already have your own cloth bags? Surely it would make more sense if they offered cloth bags to purchase, instead of just 'encouraging' customers to have them.

They do. (my bold in quote)

6 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

What if you don't already have your own cloth bags? Surely it would make more sense if they offered cloth bags to purchase, instead of just 'encouraging' customers to have them.

I noticed Big C are selling some for 29 Baht. Of course, there's no info as to what the material is, apart from not being plastic.

2 minutes ago, OneEyedPie said:
5 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I noticed Big C are selling some for 29 Baht. Of course, there's no info as to what the material is, apart from not being plastic.

At least they're reusable.

Very true, but they don't look overly strong in my opinion, so it doesn't seem clear to me how long they may last.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BobbyL said:

I am quite tempted to go to a Tesco on that day just to see the chaos that may ensue at the counter. 

I'll be staying well away and I suspect quite a few Lotus checkout operators will be calling in sick that morning as well!