Tesco Lotus To Drop Disposable Plastic Bags Next Week

webfact

In Europe, they sell you paper bags for an additional 2 baht. Most Thais would choose to merely throw their trash directly into the street when finished with there fast food from seven so no need for an additional plastic or paper bag. 

1 hour ago, OneEyedPie said:

In fairness change needs to come from government level. It's too convenient otherwise.

Nationalism is strong in Thailand so it would be very effective to start a love King, country, flag, people don't litter campaign but that would be too simple. In Europe, if someone sees you liter they will give you hell. In Thailand, it's part of the culture and if you say anything they are most likely going to pull a machete and threaten to kill you.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fullcave said:

In Europe, they sell you paper bags for an additional 2 baht. Most Thais would choose to merely throw their trash directly into the street when finished with there fast food from seven so no need for an additional plastic or paper bag. 

The government needs to impose a ten baht charge for a plastic bag then people will overnight bring their own reusable bags.  It's not rocket science.  Has worked extremely well in the west to the point that supermarches don't now sell the cheap disposable bags.  It's bags for life or nothing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 473geo said:

That is a massive contribution of plastic into my household waste. the solution to the plastic issue is not resolved by replacing The plastic bag you carry your shopping home in, but rather the plastic you carry home in your bag

There's a campaign to sort that rubbish out as well.  Saying that you can purchase your carrots and broccoli et al loose.  You're not forced to buy most of it prepackaged. The prepackaged variety is also more expensive. Makes sense to go for loose.  We do.

Edited by OneEyedPie
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, OneEyedPie said:

There's a campaign to sort that rubbish out as well.  Saying that you can purchase your carrots and broccoli et al loose.  You're not forced to buy most of it prepackaged. The prepackaged variety is also more expensive. Makes sense to go for loose.  We do.

The veg over here,  keeps you loose,  that for sure.

Maybe its a chemical thing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. :shock1:

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, OneEyedPie said:

You can only purchase loose if there is the opportunity, would be great if all was grown locally, unfortunately there are countries with a more conducive year round climate and it is cheaper to package goods there also.

Needs a lot more attention in the food packaging area, but then food hygiene and product lifespan comes into play.

2 minutes ago, 473geo said:

You can only purchase loose if there is the opportunity, would be great if all was grown locally, unfortunately there are countries with a more conducive year round climate and it is cheaper to package goods there also.

Needs a lot more attention in the food packaging area, but then food hygiene and product lifespan comes into play.

The majority of produce in local western supermarches is loose.  Let's call it 90% for arguments sake.  Only the lazy purchase prepackaged. 

I hope that clears it up. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, OneEyedPie said:

The majority of produce in local western supermarches is loose.  Let's call it 90% for arguments sake.  Only the lazy purchase prepackaged. 

I hope that clears it up. 

Total fabrication - I hope that clears it up

You know how I know this - by the union jack on the plastic packaging to advertise 'local' produce - potatoes for instance

Edited by 473geo

7 hours ago, connda said:

Now that's how it's done.  Kudos to a retailer to take the initiative.  The plastic bag problem starts and ends at the retail level. 
Consumers take what is given.  Give 1000 consumers plastic bags, 995 consumers will take plastic bags; give 1000 consumers paper bags, and 1000 consumers no long use plastic bags. 
Also, once major retailer no longer buys plastic bags from the Petro-Chemical industry.  If enough retailers jump on board, it kills the profitability of producing single use plastic bags, and slowly drives that particular segment of the industry out of business.

This may be incentive enough to start shopping at Tesco.  Hopefully the other major retailers such as Big C will follow suit.

I plan to never shop at Tesco now...

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

I plan to never shop at Tesco now...

Some people in Australia felt like that when Coles stopped giving out plastic bags... thing was, nearly all other supermarkets did the same thing...

Edited by kkerry
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, OneEyedPie said:

So do we. But guess what, they put the stuff in a plastic bag.

• Like 1

A change in consciousness must start at the most basic level. Most Thais think plastic is the best thing ever invented, and the percentage of Thais that even consider the negative ramifications of plastic is incredibly small. This requires some education. I always do two things to avoid the consumption of plastic.

1. I bring re-usable bags with me every time I go shopping. I use the larger shopping bags I buy in the US, which are made of recycled materials. Most of the clerks have to be dealt with. Even when they see my bag, they still start putting the stuff in plastic. I always mai sai toom. No plastic! Then they start loading up my bag. Most look at me like I am from Mars. Do I care? Not one iota. About 1% thank me, and get it. Not many do. My Thai wife does not like bringing the bags to the store. I force her to. By now, she expects it, and sometimes even asks if I have any bags in the car, or on the motorbike. Same with the water bottles. It used to embarrass her. Now, it is second nature, as I have been doing this for so long, she expects it. So, if a Thai can be conditioned to follow these simple principals, then anyone can. 

2. I bring a bottle of water with me, every time I go to a restaurant. I refill my plastic bottles from the 20 liter bottles at home. It is easy. I never buy bottled water at a restaurant. This saves 300-600 bottles a year. I use a plastic bottle dozens of times. I never get any flack from the restaurants. Only once did someone say something to me. She said you cannot bring you own water. My response was if you serve the water in a glass bottle, and I do not have to consume a plastic bottle, I am happy to pay for that. She was lost. I told her to leave and get me my food. She went away. 

We simply cannot say we are concerned about the environment, and then do nothing about it. Action demonstrates commitment. Lack of action demonstrates nothing. 

Lastly, restaurants can demonstrate their commitment, by serving drinking water from the 20 liter bottles. It saves alot of plastic. They lose a small amount of revenue, by not selling thousands of bottles of water. But, their operation is still profitable, and they are making a real difference. 

There really is not need to be consuming water in plastic bottles. At least not often. There are alternatives. Those damn bottles are a real culprit, when it comes to fouling the environment. What can we do, if we say we care? The issue of BPA and chemicals leaching from the bottles can easily be avoided by purchasing these bottles shown here. They are on ebay, and shipping to Thailand is either free or less than $1. The bottles are one liter, and a half liter. The plastic ones are only $2-3 each. Worth it. I use them daily. 

s-l1600-1.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, canopy said:

Why? Plastic bags require millions of barrels of crude oil to produce. They are harmful to wildlife and get entangled and ingested. They are a choke hazard that kill children. In Thailand they will be burned and release toxins into the atmosphere. Recycled paper is a winner. Great choice.

biodegradable bags are not made of oil.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BobTH said:

How disappointing.

• Like 2

Tesco Lotus To Drop Disposable Plastic Bags Next Week (Updated)

By  Chayanit Itthipongmaetee, Staff Reporter

Bags-Container-Paper-Shopping-Grocery-33

Update: Tesco Lotus has apologized for misstating its plans in a news release. The company later said it would only join the campaign for one day, not indefinitely as it was originally worded. This story has been revised accordingly.

BANGKOK — While all malls and grocery chain stores will stop offering disposable plastic bags for one day next week, they will be joined by one of the nation’s biggest retailers.

On Dec. 4, Tesco Lotus will replace the plastic bags it offers customers with paper at all of its roughly 2,000 stores. The store will also encourage customers to bring their own cloth bags.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2018/11/26/tesco-lotus-to-drop-disposable-plastic-bags-next-week/?fbclid=IwAR2MKK4Bqtz7wduQN8Clk1s7q9bESbGpOGj4DFExKV9q0ohNvKIsCOIuy4Y

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-11-27

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Great alternative from a BRITISH company - congratulations!

Was wondering what you make of this now that the BRITISH company has apologised for people thinking they had done something good and instead confirmed that this is a one day initiative only.

Is it now a THAI company?

• Like 2