Acceptance of Embassy letters of Income

2 hours ago, JLCrab said:

Signing a false statement to a (e.g.) US consular official was one thing when everyone knew the chances of anything happening were slim to zero.

Signing a statement that your funds are sourced anew every month and they are NOT circumventing the required income requirements in an RTP police station before an RTP official who can arrest you on the spot may be something else.

And signing a document to that effect might become standard procedure just as are all the other documents you have to sign when doing an extension via your TM7 form.

Currently when one signs the TM7 form and it turns out that evidence submitted with that application was fraudulent couldn't the applicant be charged with committing fraud or lying to a police officer?  In other words, by signing aren't you indicating that your application is truthful?  In most cases aren't you also asked to sign any documents you submit, indicating that you vouch they are true copies of real documents (not fraudulent ones)?  I guess what I'm saying is:  isn't this mechanism of enforcement already present in the current application process.  Signing another specific document would certainly make it more explicit, but isn't it already implicit?  Couldn't a Thai prosecutor bring such a case against an applicant who lied on an application or committed fraud?

• Thanks 1

As several of the wize guys have pointed out, as long as you would have a 65K+ monthly foreign transaction deposit in the bank, what you would do afterwards with those funds would be perfectly legal -- unless you sign a statement at the RTP saying that is not what you are doing with those funds.

Edited by JLCrab

7 hours ago, wayned said:
9 hours ago, elviajero said:

Because of the fraud?

So what you are saying is that 100% of the expats that depend on the Income Affidavit method should suffer because some unknown percentage might be lying about the amount that they are receiving.  Kinda like saying that all Banks should close since somebody might commit bank fraud!!!!

No I’m not saying that!! You asked “why change it”. I explained why.

I don’t want anyone to suffer, But, although the percentage of fraud is unknown, I bet it’s high. Many expats use agents that don’t have 400/800K, and it’s even easier to lie on an affidavit.

On 12/2/2018 at 7:51 AM, evadgib said:

Transferring pensions from UK accounts will likely be affected & some banks may not recognise non UK mobiles or like the fact that we're abroad ????

Well you are right that a UK bank would not like to see an overseas address, but that is a whole other issue.

If you can keep a UK SIM card alive, the bank would not know where the phone was physically and a PIN would be transferred via Roaming to Thailand... that seems to be free.