Family blame police in Nakhon Phanom after chase results in death of helmet-less son, 14

webfact

5 minutes ago, VYCM said:

Mate, you're not seeing these checkpoints in action, the Thais just wizz around the Police and laugh at them, also putting the Police in Danger.

To be quite honest I feel the police in traffic stops are far to Passive.

Everytime a checkpoint is broken by an offender, he tells 10 of his mates and they feel they can avoid capture also.

Please Police department, get more active in stopping these criminals.

Reminds me of the distant past in Malaysia in a small town when the coppers were using only bicycles... at night when they were having checkpoints, words would spread out to the youths. They would then ride motorbikes purposely along that road and get the policemen excited about some ‘ action’. Once they approached the checkpoint and got the signal ( torchlight flashing) to stop , they would rev their bikes and make a u turn and sped away..... highlight of the day to relief boredom. 

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Briggsy said:

The father has a little bit of status. This is key to the situation in a Thai context. The family may be higher in the social ranking than the cop. The rights and wrongs of the case are not of any interest to the family. The family want revenge. Somebody chased their son leading to his death. They want now to destroy the policeman's career which will impact his family considerably. That is how it works here.

Typical Thai mentality of showing ‘my son’s life is more valuable than yours’ because my status is higher than yours. No respect to upholding law and order at all. Thai patronage system.

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

To be quite honest, I feel the police in traffic stops are often way too gung ho in their actions. I have seen them drag people off a speeding bike, regardless of the potential injury it can cause. And for what? Minor traffic offences. I fully agree the boy should have been wearing a helmet, but to chase a kid causing an accident that kills the lad over a bloody helmet is wrong. If he had been a wanted murderer, or some other serious offence it would be acceptable, but for this they are out or order in my book.

you completely miss  out on some very important points here

the dead boy was

underage

not driving bike legally

not having mandatory insurance

he was a deadly threat to other users of/on the road

quite ok to have the chap up in smoke

charge parents with facilitating law breaching and illegal driving

Just a few things the parents miss:
1. Driving a motorcycle without a helmet... illegal in Thailand
2. Driving a motorcycle without having a drivers license... illegal in Thailand
3. Driving a motorcycle when you are under 18 years old... illegal in Thailand
4. Fleeing from the police... not recommended anywhere in the world...
5. .........

If this would be my home country, then the parents would probably be facing jail-time or at least hefty fines, because there the parents are held responsible for their child's action until the child turn 15.

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

To be quite honest, I feel the police in traffic stops are often way too gung ho in their actions. I have seen them drag people off a speeding bike, regardless of the potential injury it can cause. And for what? Minor traffic offences. I fully agree the boy should have been wearing a helmet, but to chase a kid causing an accident that kills the lad over a bloody helmet is wrong. If he had been a wanted murderer, or some other serious offence it would be acceptable, but for this they are out or order in my book.

If you do not stop and tried to sped away at police checkpoint, they may suspect you to be a criminal. Big or small doesn’t matter.

that can be determined later. The boy may be suspected to be riding  a stolen bike or involved in criminal activities bu his action.  

I was at a Police Station last year and this couple interrupted the officer dealing with us - they said they wanted to know why the driver of the car that hit their daughter hadn't paid for her medical treatment.

Officer replied ''because she pulled out of front of them on a motorbike - she is 12 years old, has no licence, experience and wasn't wearing a helmet. Any other questions?''

Gobsmacked

I have never read so much hypocrisy here in my life from the posters.  Praising the cops for doing their job. What a joke.  Neither the government nor the cops give a rat's assss if you wear a helmut or not. They could solve the problem in a day if they were serious.  But if they solved the problem the bribes and fines would end so come on, it is what it is.

I have seen countless number of times riders with no helmuts in front of me go right thru a roadblock full of cops. Never once have I seen a cop go after anyone. It is beyond reason why this cop would chase this guy.  

In Viet Nam everyone wears a helmut. Gee, I wonder why?  Could it be because the law is enforced?  Why don't the Thai cops enforce the law all day long?  You have to be pretty dumb not to know the answer to that. 

6 minutes ago, mr_lob said:

I was at a Police Station last year and this couple interrupted the officer dealing with us - they said they wanted to know why the driver of the car that hit their daughter hadn't paid for her medical treatment.

Officer replied ''because she pulled out of front of them on a motorbike - she is 12 years old, has no licence, experience and wasn't wearing a helmet. Any other questions?''

Gobsmacked

Thai self entitlement at its best! 

1 minute ago, Ctkong said:

Thai patronage system is archaic. Boy’s death is mainly due to his own action albeit the policeman may have a hand in his death.

Lack of parental guidance may also play a factor here.   

Sure, easy to blame the parents but parents would not let their kids ride underage or without helmuts or licenses if the cops enforced the law.  They don't. Police in Thailand enforce nothing. Just go to intersection near Maya. Nobody stops at the red lights. Cops do nothing.  Thai people do not respect the police because the police are worthless which goes right to the top. It's all about money and corruption so the blame really belongs with the govenment and police not the parents. Culturally, it is ok to ride with no helmut or little kids or five to a bike. Police look the other way so why not do it?  

4 hours ago, TConthePC said:

And the parents should feel responsible for not educating their son to wear a motorcycle helmet, plus letting him ride on the open roads at a young age.

Thai culture or not to wear a helmet, if you care about someone, look after their interests.

A sad incident... though 14 is not a legal age for driving motorcycle, probably police should sue the parents.

2 minutes ago, KevinboyCM said:

I have never read so much hypocrisy here in my life from the posters.  Praising the cops for doing their job. What a joke.  Neither the government nor the cops give a rat's assss if you wear a helmut or not. They could solve the problem in a day if they were serious.  But if they solved the problem the bribes and fines would end so come on, it is what it is.

Let's forget about the helmet.  The lad jumped a checkpoint and was chased.  Looking at the OP's photos he was quite a big lad for fourteen so obviously attracted a lot of attention real quick. 

The lad made his decision when he hit the gas and, on this occasion, it was the wrong decision.  We could extrapolate that he killed himself through wilful neglect of his own wellbeing.

4 minutes ago, KevinboyCM said:

I have seen countless number of times riders with no helmuts in front of me go right thru a roadblock full of cops. Never once have I seen a cop go after anyone. It is beyond reason why this cop would chase this guy.  

In Viet Nam everyone wears a helmut. Gee, I wonder why?  Could it be because the law is enforced?  Why don't the Thai cops enforce the law all day long?  You have to be pretty dumb not to know the answer to that. 

Maybe the police forgot that they are also supposed to enforce road safety other than brown envelopes? Maybe they respect the rights of road users to select their method of demise ?

i was reminded of the time I was pulled over by the traffic police for speeding. Paid up and given an ‘encouraging’  word of advice by the same policeman. “ there is no more checkpoint up ahead and if you want to die young speeding , go ahead!”.

!4 years old - not old enough to have a license (correct me if I'm wrong please?), not wearing a helmet and father Chalao, 52, and mother Nitaya, 45, are okay with their kid endangering his own life and worse, the lives of others. And now that something has happened, they want to lay the blame on others. In the first place, Chalao and Nitaya shouldn't have bred. At all.

3 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

It is notable that in many civilised countries, police have been told to back off when high speed pursuits begin, even when stolen cars are involved, on the grounds that it ends in too many unnecessary deaths. I note the article states he was chased because he had no helmet. Perhaps you think that such a heinous crime is sufficient to warrant an untimely death. From a small locale, and undoubtedly having his registration, they could have caught up with him at their leisure and he would still be alive.

Only when it is in a built up area and there is a lot of traffic will police in the UK and other countries give up the chase for fear of involving other innocent people getting caught up in the chase.

Lessons He Should Have Followed:

1. Have License & Ownership and Insurance. 

2. Obey traffic laws

3. Wear Helmet

4. Don’t Run From The Cops. When they want you to pull over and stop, then that’s what you do. 

If he had followed these three things, he’d still be standing and breathing. 

He broke at least the last two items on the list. 

Not the fault of the police. They did not make him go without a helmet.

They did not make him decide to run for it. 

Once he refused to stop, that creates suspicion, correctly or not correctly....doesn’t matter, that maybe he’s done something much worse then just not wear a helmet. 

Not the cops fault. 

Only one here who broke any laws and did something stupid, was the motorbike driver. His fault. And parent’s fault for not having control of their son. 

The police were just doing their job. 

As p[er usual in many of these type of incidents and trust me I have seen many, the Parents fail to take the responsibility of their own inaction regarding their son. While his death maybe tragic, any attempt to blame the Authorities for enforcing the law when it was BLATANTLY ignored is futile and time wasting. Why do they not turn their attention to ensure all riders of their sons agve wear helemts, as a person who appears to have some status in his village, that would be a good way to atone for their lack of parental care and their sons actions. 

God, please do not let the British Disease start infecting Thailand!

I have been watching the pathetic British Police chasing these motorbike riding purse / phone snatching vermin back in the UK. When the police start to catch these swine up, the pillion passenger simply removes his helmet and the police have to give up the chase in case the precious little turds get hurt!

The laughing stock they must surely be. Me, I say ram the creatures, and if they take their helmets off, then great, more likely to be killed or injured, either way they won't do it again.

1 minute ago, Formaleins said:

God, please do not let the British Disease start infecting Thailand!

I have been watching the pathetic British Police chasing these motorbike riding purse / phone snatching vermin back in the UK. When the police start to catch these swine up, the pillion passenger simply removes his helmet and the police have to give up the chase in case the precious little turds get hurt!

The laughing stock they must surely be. Me, I say ram the creatures, and if they take their helmets off, then great, more likely to be killed or injured, either way they won't do it again.

Your a bit behind the times mate, check out the BBC news regarding that.

Police can now knock the little tow rags off using the police car.

6 minutes ago, Khun Paul said:

As p[er usual in many of these type of incidents and trust me I have seen many, the Parents fail to take the responsibility of their own inaction regarding their son. While his death maybe tragic, any attempt to blame the Authorities for enforcing the law when it was BLATANTLY ignored is futile and time wasting. Why do they not turn their attention to ensure all riders of their sons agve wear helemts, as a person who appears to have some status in his village, that would be a good way to atone for their lack of parental care and their sons actions. 

A few years ago I think it was Bangkok newspaper did a survey asking Thais if they felt it was ok to bribe a policeman. Answer:  over 70% said it was fine.  How many folks here know the cops get paid a commission to write a ticket?  The problem lies with the police. If it is acceptable to not obey the laws folks will not obey the laws. Plain and simple. Is that the fault of the parents? I say no. Are they fools for letting the kids ride without a helmut? Sure but 50% of them don't and never get stopped.  I've flagged down cops with no helmut on and not gotten a ticket. They don't give a fluck unless it's ticket time to feed the chain with fines or bribes. Why follow the rules if no one else does? 

27 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

As usual, so many sympathetic and compassionate reactions from TV members. Must be so easy to judge from your barstools ....

I am not on a bar stool.

The police were doing their job (for once)...amongst the Thai killing fields-with 30,000 dead littered about.

Perhaps you enjoy the sight of 30,000 corpses per year not to mention the many thousands of physically disabled victims.

A fully paid up member of the Dunning-Kruger club.Most Thai get a free complimentary membership the first time they drive anything other than a buffalo cart.

Just now, KevinboyCM said:

A few years ago I think it was Bangkok newspaper did a survey asking Thais if they felt it was ok to bribe a policeman. Answer:  over 70% said it was fine.  How many folks here know the cops get paid a commission to write a ticket?  The problem lies with the police. If it is acceptable to not obey the laws folks will not obey the laws. Plain and simple. Is that the fault of the parents? I say no. Are thy fools for letting the kids ride without a helmut? Sure but 50% of them don't and never get stopped.  I've flagged down cops with no helmut on and not gotten a ticket. They don't give a fluck unless it's ticket time to feed the chain with fines or bribes. Why follow the rules if no one else does? 

But the police were enforcing the law by chasing a motorcyclist who jumped a checkpoint / refused to stop.  You can't have it both ways. 

No bribes were involved particularly as the lad was deceased on apprehension.

Archived