Family blame police in Nakhon Phanom after chase results in death of helmet-less son, 14

webfact

UH.....NO! I'm sorry the kid is dead but it came at his own doing. Driving a vehicle he was not licensed to operate, evading police after being ordered to stop, more than likely no insurance either. Nope, Mommy and Daddy are looking for a quick payday. Sorry, that dog don't hunt.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

God, please do not let the British Disease start infecting Thailand!

I have been watching the pathetic British Police chasing these motorbike riding purse / phone snatching vermin back in the UK. When the police start to catch these swine up, the pillion passenger simply removes his helmet and the police have to give up the chase in case the precious little turds get hurt!

The laughing stock they must surely be. Me, I say ram the creatures, and if they take their helmets off, then great, more likely to be killed or injured, either way they won't do it again.

The "British Disease" infecting the Land of the Deranged?You are kidding me..but,then,your posts are one big leg pull anyway.

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

Are the boys parents serious?

The only people to blame for this are themselves and their son.

The boy should not have been allowed to ride a motorbike, too young, no license, no insurance, no helmet.

The boy is dead and that is tragic, but his parents are seeing his death as a way to make money..... Sickening.

Well said sir. I could not agree more

4 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

It is notable that in many civilised countries, police have been told to back off when high speed pursuits begin, even when stolen cars are involved, on the grounds that it ends in too many unnecessary deaths. I note the article states he was chased because he had no helmet. Perhaps you think that such a heinous crime is sufficient to warrant an untimely death. From a small locale, and undoubtedly having his registration, they could have caught up with him at their leisure and he would still be alive.

How do you know "and undoubtedly having his registration"? Have you never seen scooters without the registration number affixed? And likewise rear and or front lights not working at night?

7 hours ago, rossd said:

No sympathy whatsoever.

Chases are inherently dangerous because of their speed, and police often compound the danger by chasing drivers in hazardous conditions. ... Police departments routinely warn officers about hazardous road conditions and high-risk drivers. Some bar motorcycle cops from pursuits because of the danger if an officer crashes.

1 hour ago, simtemple said:

Chases are inherently dangerous because of their speed, and police often compound the danger by chasing drivers in hazardous conditions. ... Police departments routinely warn officers about hazardous road conditions and high-risk drivers. Some bar motorcycle cops from pursuits because of the danger if an officer crashes.

Sure.

'tis all the cops fault.

Nothing to do with irresponsible parents,lack of legal equipment (helmet) and a few brain cells.

Revolutionary thought in Thailand.

1 hour ago, Ctkong said:
1 hour ago, VYCM said:

Mate, you're not seeing these checkpoints in action, the Thais just wizz around the Police and laugh at them, also putting the Police in Danger.

To be quite honest I feel the police in traffic stops are far to Passive.

Everytime a checkpoint is broken by an offender, he tells 10 of his mates and they feel they can avoid capture also.

Please Police department, get more active in stopping these criminals.

Reminds me of the distant past in Malaysia in a small town when the coppers were using only bicycles... at night when they were having checkpoints, words would spread out to the youths. They would then ride motorbikes purposely along that road and get the policemen excited about some ‘ action’. Once they approached the checkpoint and got the signal ( torchlight flashing) to stop , they would rev their bikes and make a u turn and sped away..... highlight of the day to relief boredom.

Unfortunately this is not the Distant past, its happening today.

This is why we have the carnage on our roads.

Be very concerned, the only way to reduce this horrendous Thailand road toll is good Law enforcement.

All road users need to obey the rules, the system cannot work any other way.

Don't get complacent.

Just now, VYCM said:

Be very concerned, the only way to reduce this horrendous Thailand road toll is good Law enforcement.

Good parenting never goes a miss and certainly more important than the law enforcement aspect.  It makes us who we are from day one. 

49 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

God, please do not let the British Disease start infecting Thailand!

I have been watching the pathetic British Police chasing these motorbike riding purse / phone snatching vermin back in the UK. When the police start to catch these swine up, the pillion passenger simply removes his helmet and the police have to give up the chase in case the precious little turds get hurt!

The laughing stock they must surely be. Me, I say ram the creatures, and if they take their helmets off, then great, more likely to be killed or injured, either way they won't do it again.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/11/23/police-will-ram-moped-criminals-bikes-even-arent-wearing-helmets/

43 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Your a bit behind the times mate, check out the BBC news regarding that.

Police can now knock the little tow rags off using the police car.

Yes, I can confirm that. I saw it too Colin.

In the UK, the thieving gits who carry out driver-by thefts on mopeds were deliberately removing their helmets, because in the past the police backed off in case the thieves were hurt.

Now the police have had enough, and have been authorised to chase and knock them off the bikes - helmet or no helmet.

6 hours ago, VYCM said:

Well done o the Policeman for doing his job. Should be more of it.

I drive down the Sukhumvit around the time school is out and see these students, 4 on a bike no helmets etc. the police let them pass without stopping.

This is encouraging bad behaviour.

I was in Satuek District a few weeks back and their was a cop riding around with no helmet,Guess he was just doing his job and been a good role model too.

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

To be quite honest, I feel the police in traffic stops are often way too gung ho in their actions. I have seen them drag people off a speeding bike, regardless of the potential injury it can cause. And for what? Minor traffic offences. I fully agree the boy should have been wearing a helmet, but to chase a kid causing an accident that kills the lad over a bloody helmet is wrong. If he had been a wanted murderer, or some other serious offence it would be acceptable, but for this they are out or order in my book.

I wonder if cases like this are more about the potentially serious consequences of fleeing and eluding the Police as apposed to the enforcement of minor traffic offenses? A majority of the people that do a runner are likely a potential danger to the Boys in Brown and most often found with Weapons and/or drugs after they are caught, or (as in this case) crashed into something with the Motor. The kid must have known all that better than I, just another Farang <deleted>. When I lived in Cambodia 20 years ago we would always flee and elude the Police or merely turn around five Meters before we contacted them standing in the Middle of the road. We knew they would just go back and sit in their chair under a shaded tree and wait for someone else. We also knew that if we were far outside the Capital and the checkpoint was Soldiers (rather than Police) and they were armed with AK-47s, we needed to stop or we would be fired upon.

1 minute ago, geoff65 said:

I was in Satuek District a few weeks back and their was a cop riding around with no helmet,Guess he was just doing his job and been a good role model too.

The lad failed to stop.  Nothing to do with a helmet. 

6 hours ago, rossd said:

How about putting the blame where it truly belongs, ON THE PARENTS, for raising a son, without proper discipline AND allowing him to have a motorbike at the age of 14.  The parents SHOULD BE PROSECUTED, NOT the police.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The family of a 14 year boy who died after a police chase intend to sue the police in Nakhon Phanom.

The family of a 14 year boy who died after a police chase intend to sue the police in Nakhon Phanom...for doing their job.

Some fuzzy thinking on this one...

Let's get this right....cop chases a boy for riding a motorbike without a helmet, because riding a bike without a helmet is UNSAFE...and as a consequence the boy hits a tree and dies because not wearing a helmet....isn't that kinda counterproductive? Remember the helmet law is about SAFETY for the rider of the motorbike.

As stated by ThreeEyedRaven, in some countries police are required to back off on chases if there is risk to life of those being chased and innocent bystanders. This case is precisely why.

Yes, yes, yes, the boy was stupid, but he did not deserve to die. He wasn't a criminal and perpetrator of some heinous crime (as far as we know). He wasn't a danger to society......He needed a proper bollocking for sure (and so do his parents if they allowed him to ride a motorbike).

Like most accidents, this one has multiple causes. The cause of death was driving too fast, losing control, hitting a tree, (and most likely) no helmet. Next layer; being chased by a policeman who lost the plot and FORGOT that helmets are worn for SAFETY. Next layer: (probably) parents who let him ride underage / unlicensed / without helmet. Next layer; Police do not adequately enforce traffic laws (understatement). Next layer; Government don't make the police do their job. Next layer; much of Thai society really prefer not to follow the law, take responsibility for their actions, take responsibility for their children, lack good parenting skills, and do not follow good safety principles in many aspects of their lives.

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

Are the boys parents serious?

The only people to blame for this are themselves and their son.

The boy should not have been allowed to ride a motorbike, too young, no license, no insurance, no helmet.

The boy is dead and that is tragic, but his parents are seeing his death as a way to make money..... Sickening.

Totally agree with you. It happens too often here. Charge the parents for involuntarily manslaughter of their son

The parents of the boy are responsible but so is the policeman. All the people on here posting that they have no sympathy etc I bet most of them have at times ridden, even if just pillion, without a helmet. The policeman should have shown better judgement but it seems he was no more mature than the boy. 

3 minutes ago, MaksimMislavsky said:
6 hours ago, webfact said:

The parents are claiming that their son experienced worse treatment than if he had been a thief or a murderer.

Perfectly valid point they are making.

I really think you're missing the point.

Police need to take action, the road toll is horrendous and needs to be fixed.

Allowing thugs to not respect the law, to disregard checkpoints, you're encouraging bad behaviour and also more deaths on our roads.

2 minutes ago, Leef said:

The parents of the boy are responsible but so is the policeman. All the people on here posting that they have no sympathy etc I bet most of them have at times ridden, even if just pillion, without a helmet. The policeman should have shown better judgement but it seems he was no more mature than the boy. 

policeman should have shown better judgement - That's an oxymoron for Thailand.

16 minutes ago, OneEyedPie said:

The lad failed to stop.  Nothing to do with a helmet. 

There ya go. My point exactly. Look,  If the laws aren't enforced it becomes custom here. Parents don't even think not to put their 2 or 3 year old kids hanging on to the handlebars.  They don't give it a thought. Why expect them to think it isn't ok to go thru a checkpoint? (And the article did not say he went thru a checkpoint).  

It's the same for the way they park their motorbikes. They apparently do not have the capacity to realize they are A) blocking someone from getting out or B) or for being able to even get on the bike or C) that they might do damage to the bike they are banged up against.

This stuff doesn't enter their minds. So the police and the government are the ones to instill law and order. It starts there folks.

"Sanook said he was dead immediately after the accident."

..Excuse me but the only person who can certify Life Extinct is a qualified medical practitioner..or is it Dr. Sanook...i doubt it..RIP young man..if the officer had his reg number and physical description then he should follow-up at a later date..pursuit hardly warranted in this case for such a minor traffic matter.

5 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

It is notable that in many civilised countries, police have been told to back off when high speed pursuits begin, even when stolen cars are involved, on the grounds that it ends in too many unnecessary deaths. I note the article states he was chased because he had no helmet. Perhaps you think that such a heinous crime is sufficient to warrant an untimely death. From a small locale, and undoubtedly having his registration, they could have caught up with him at their leisure and he would still be alive.

What about this in London then ?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-24/london-police-target-scooter-crime-knock-people-off-bikes/10551538

11 minutes ago, connda said:

These folks should take a trip to visit relatives in North Hollywood, and during their trip try outrunning a California Highway Patrol.  See how that works out for them.

Silliest comment here so far. You are comparing the police and laws in the USA with Thailands laws? Surely you jest sir. There is a reason no one would try and outrun a policeman or barricade. Unless you are OJ that is.

Archived