Biker faces charges for running into schoolgirl on Bangkok sidewalk

webfact

13 hours ago, rodknock said:

what a joke!!!!

police are no better then the rest of motorcycles on the sidewalks!!!!!!!

who is going to enforce the laws, not the police!!

just do as you like, no one is going to stop you!!!

The police will just collect the FINE, a wai from the culprit and put some cheap tea money compensation for the poor girl

Business as usual

22 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

There is something new here, and it's important:

The motorcyclist, Phuwadol Srisamrong, 23, waited for police at the scene.

We all make mistakes from time to time. Good that he waited and faces the consequences.

"We all make mistakes from time to time". This was not a mistake, these scum are putting peoples lifes and wellbeing at risk. He was probably local and people knew him. that's why he waited.

15 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Do they give you the stink eye if you dare not move out of their way or give them a look of disdain?

On a narrow part of the pavement. A few times I have stood my ground and blocked motorcyclsts from getting past and forced them to go back or on to the road.

I would never do that with a motorbike taxi, as I would not like the odds against me.

7 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

And yet a majority of Thais would think he is an idiot..

He was an idiot

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How about looking at a mobile phone while driving?

How about driving too fast?

How about driving into a junction which is already full with cars?

All these actions are deliberate acts. And as far as I know they are all against the law. And I am sure they happen just in Bangkok everyday thousands of times.

Deliberate or not, they are mistakes, and sometimes mistakes with bad consequences.

How many people never used a phone while driving? I guess not too many in Thailand.

Maybe some of these people had near accidents and then they learned that it is not a good idea to drive and use the phone at the same time.

It's good if people learn before bad things happen but some people learn only after bad things happened.

I am pretty sure very few of us drive according to the laws 100% of the time...

Never mind the laws, just use good genuine common sense, that is if you have it.

6 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Every day occurrence in Vietnam - especially in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh. It is just as dangerous to walk on the pavement as it is to cross the road but never any outrage on social media.  

This is the first time I have ever seen any outrage about people getting hit by an MC on the pavement on social media.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How about looking at a mobile phone while driving?

How about driving too fast?

How about driving into a junction which is already full with cars?

All these actions are deliberate acts. And as far as I know they are all against the law. And I am sure they happen just in Bangkok everyday thousands of times.

Deliberate or not, they are mistakes, and sometimes mistakes with bad consequences.

How many people never used a phone while driving? I guess not too many in Thailand.

Maybe some of these people had near accidents and then they learned that it is not a good idea to drive and use the phone at the same time.

It's good if people learn before bad things happen but some people learn only after bad things happened.

I am pretty sure very few of us drive according to the laws 100% of the time...

I will say again an deliberate act is not an mistake, same as one go and shoot deliberate ones wife Gik

52 minutes ago, digger70 said:

I will say again an deliberate act is not an mistake, same as one go and shoot deliberate ones wife Gik

Did you ever deliberately drive too fast? Or did you just not look at the speedometer so it was somehow not deliberate?

Did you ever look at your mobile phone while driving?

My point is it seems lots of people like to see the errors other people make. And it helps if the other people are clearly a different group of people.

It seems lots of car drivers hate motorcycle drivers. They are the others.

And then there are the motorcycle riders who often see car drivers playing with their mobile phones and driving erratically. Again, those are "the others".

And I guess some pedestrians will hate all of them when i.e. cars and bikes and trucks ignore zebra crossings.

Personally I think the police should punish all of them for breaking the laws.

Edited by OneMoreFarang

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Did you ever deliberately drive too fast? Or did you just not look at the speedometer so it was somehow not deliberate?

Did you ever look at your mobile phone while driving?

My point is it seems lots of people like to see the errors other people make. And it helps if the other people are clearly a different group of people.

It seems lots of car drivers hate motorcycle drivers. They are the others.

And then there are the motorcycle riders who often see car drivers playing with their mobile phones and driving erratically. Again, those are "the others".

And I guess some pedestrians will hate all of them when i.e. cars and bikes and trucks ignore zebra crossings.

Personally I think the police should punish all of them for breaking the laws.

Yes I deliberately drive to fast more than ones I even raced the cops, No mistake as for looking at my mobile while driving No. I agree with your line , the police should punish all of them that break the laws.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2018 at 3:49 PM, rkidlad said:

Yeap, they're still riding on the pavements. The worst ones are the motorcy taxis who park their bikes on the pavement. They can ride pretty quickly on the sidewalks leading up to where they park. They seem to think they own the sidewalk and can ride as quickly as they want. They even give you a look of disdain if you dare not move out of the way or give them the stink eye. 

Sorry, I am not with you on this one, I ride the Motorcycle taxi's about 6 times a day for the past few years in Bangkok and never once have we gone up on a sidewalk.  I have had normal riders do what you indicate above giving me menacing looks because I refuse to move even after them beeping their horn constantly, in fact I turn around and confront them  "Just try to hit me, I'll throw you and your bike out in the middle of the road"  usually I get a couple apologetic Nods and then I'll move.  I am not that big, but am one ugly looking dude when I'm pissed off.  so far, no swords have come out.

On 11/27/2018 at 7:12 PM, petedk said:

At the moment I am living in a "village" in Bangkok. Motorcyclists here do whatever they want.  It is just a case of getting out of their way.

Close on their heels (and no none ever talks about this) are cyclists. In my opinion they are worse.

You can usually hear a motorcycle coming up behind you and take appropriate action. Cyclists, on the other hand, are silent and never ring their bells to warn you that they are coming. They creep up silently from behind and I have been hit three times in the last 7 or 8 months, but luckily nothing serious.

same here, I posted once a while ago about an incident with a inebriated foreign guy sailing on his bike near Lumpini Park - jumped the curb and ran into me, luckily I had both hands free and pushed him and his bike down, he was flopping around half on the road and sidewalk with the Thai noodle sellars laughing at him, with me just walking away...........I came back that way the next day and they told me he was Key Mau  -  look, I ride both bikes and Motorcycles, but would never jump a curb in the middle of pedestrians to avoid stalled traffic............

3 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Sorry, I am not with you on this one, I ride the Motorcycle taxi's about 6 times a day for the past few years in Bangkok and never once have we gone up on a sidewalk.  I have had normal riders do what you indicate above giving me menacing looks because I refuse to move even after them beeping their horn constantly, in fact I turn around and confront them  "Just try to hit me, I'll throw you and your bike out in the middle of the road"  usually I get a couple apologetic Nods and then I'll move.  I am not that big, but am one ugly looking dude when I'm pissed off.  so far, no swords have come out.

Okay, so maybe 'you' have never been on the back of a motorcycle taxi when it's gone on the pavement, but have you never seen motorcycle taxi riders parked on the pavement before? You've never seen them ride on the pavement either to go to or away from their taxi stand? 

my wife gets upset with me because I refuse to move out of the way for them, they can wait till there is a space to do it, same with the ones that ride through walking markets because they are too lazy to walk themselves, way past time the police really started to grab these idiots

3 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Okay, so maybe 'you' have never been on the back of a motorcycle taxi when it's gone on the pavement, but have you never seen motorcycle taxi riders parked on the pavement before? You've never seen them ride on the pavement either to go to or away from their taxi stand? 

2 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Right, not I and Yes they park on the sidewalks ready to go, No I never see Motorcy's driving on sidewalks, but plenty of locals and an occasional policeman.............since they made it illegal to ride motorcy's on sidewalks - signs in Thai everywhere, 2000 baht fine, I think the taxi's have a lot more to lose than 2000 baht.  I ride them a lot,  I speak Thai fairly well and am learning to read a little so can read part of the signs at their stand with the prices, I've seen people ay 60-80 baht for 30-40 baht rides.......:wai:

17 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Right, not I and Yes they park on the sidewalks ready to go, No I never see Motorcy's driving on sidewalks, but plenty of locals and an occasional policeman.............since they made it illegal to ride motorcy's on sidewalks - signs in Thai everywhere, 2000 baht fine, I think the taxi's have a lot more to lose than 2000 baht.  I ride them a lot,  I speak Thai fairly well and am learning to read a little so can read part of the signs at their stand with the prices, I've seen people ay 60-80 baht for 30-40 baht rides.......:wai:

Well, believe it or not, some taxi motorcycles ride on the pavement too.