Biker faces charges for running into schoolgirl on Bangkok sidewalk

webfact

Biker faces charges for running into schoolgirl on Bangkok sidewalk

By The Nation

af9e894937a5fdc359837f87297e9a22.jpeg

Photo credit: @EmaEmika

A motorcyclist allegedly hit and injured a schoolgirl on a Bangkok sidewalk on Monday afternoon, triggering outrage on social media.

Chokchai police station chief Pol Colonel Supol Khamchu said the accident happened at 3.30pm on a sidewalk near the bus stop at the front of Soi Lat Prao 6, Wang Thong Lang district.

The girl, Kulanee Chanthornwithoon, 16, an 11th grader at Badin Decha Sing Singhasenee School, was knocked down on the footpath.

She was helped by people nearby and sent to Paolo Hospital on Soi Chokchai 4.

The motorcyclist, Phuwadol Srisamrong, 23, waited for police at the scene.

He was taken to the Chokchai police station to face charges of reckless driving causing injuries.

The incident was captured on camera by a Twitter user, @EmaEmika, who shared it on her feed shortly after the incident. The photo showed a taxi motorcyclist helping the schoolgirl.

The tweet resulted in some angry criticism of the motorcyclists. The incident and photo were later shared on Facebook, leading to another storm of outrage.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30359383

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-11-

2 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

Nothing new here 

Thai people do this all the time 

I hope he get big fine or jail time 

I hope she recovers well and he pay the bills 

yes,  Something new !!! something unusual,.." The motorcyclist, Phuwadol Srisamrong, 23, waited for police at the scene" !!!.

The police need to deal with the motorcycles on the sidewalk between Thonglor and Phrom Phong. Motorcycles speeding on the sidewalk have nearly collided with me on a few occasions. One time while walking on the sidewalk a motorcycle came up behind me and the front wheel touched the back of my shoe causing me to trip.

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, mok199 said:

I have never once seen a Thai push a motorcycle to get from A-B ,even if its a few feet..WHY YOU ASK?? ... because in Thailand, anyplace a car,scooter ,tour bus can fit ''is now a road''....disgusting behavior this.. 

They even ride up to street vendors and sit on their bikes while ordering food, blocking the narrow footpaths.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Yeap, they're still riding on the pavements. The worst ones are the motorcy taxis who park their bikes on the pavement. They can ride pretty quickly on the sidewalks leading up to where they park. They seem to think they own the sidewalk and can ride as quickly as they want. They even give you a look of disdain if you dare not move out of the way or give them the stink eye. 

Do they give you the stink eye if you dare not move out of their way or give them a look of disdain?

6 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Do they give you the stink eye if you dare not move out of their way or give them a look of disdain?

No, but they do call you a Thai-basher and inform you that riding on the pavements is okay as it’s part of the culture; ergo, it’s okay to do. You can do anything you like as long as you say it’s ‘part of the culture’. You can even be a massive c***. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, 300sd said:

The one that grazed me came from behind, with a passenger on the back, who apologized. But the motorcycle taxi driver looked at me like I was dirt in the way. Scum.

And passengers too lazy to get off the MC and walk the short distance to where they are going on the block.

1 hour ago, monkeycu said:

Happened to me a few years ago outside the Australian Embassy

The retards from Chubb security who work there helped to pick up the bike and let the rider go, no bike no need for police

As for me I was told to give way to bikes on foot path

So much for the Thai logic and the idiots who work in a security job

Get out of their way or kick them over as they pass youy are just about the only choices.

Same of story.  Same unhappy ending time after time after time.....

Thai motorists refuse to obey traffic laws, if they even know the traffic laws exist.

Police are totally ineffective at enforcing traffic laws proactively - traffic laws are only enforced after-the-fact.

Result?  Carnage - day after day after day...infinitum.

17 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

There is something new here, and it's important:

The motorcyclist, Phuwadol Srisamrong, 23, waited for police at the scene.

We all make mistakes from time to time. Good that he waited and faces the consequences.

Riding on the footpath with a motorbike is not a mistake it is an deliberate act. 

blah blah blah... people carrying out an anti-social, dangerous and illegal action that people do all the time and no one ever stands up to the perpetrators, then an 'incident' and 'outrage'. then everything goes back to normal with people carrying out an anti-social, dangerous and illegal action that people do all the time and no one ever stands up to... blah blah blah

feel sorry for the girl though and especially the disabled, elderly, those with children or heavy shopping...

Edited by samsensam
clarity
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Riding on the footpath with a motorbike is not a mistake it is an deliberate act. 

How about looking at a mobile phone while driving?

How about driving too fast?

How about driving into a junction which is already full with cars?

All these actions are deliberate acts. And as far as I know they are all against the law. And I am sure they happen just in Bangkok everyday thousands of times.

Deliberate or not, they are mistakes, and sometimes mistakes with bad consequences.

How many people never used a phone while driving? I guess not too many in Thailand.

Maybe some of these people had near accidents and then they learned that it is not a good idea to drive and use the phone at the same time.

It's good if people learn before bad things happen but some people learn only after bad things happened.

I am pretty sure very few of us drive according to the laws 100% of the time...

3 minutes ago, samsensam said:

blah blah blah... people carrying out an anti-social, dangerous and illegal action that people do all the time and no one ever stands up to the perpetrators, then an 'incident' and 'outrage'. then everything goes back to normal with people carrying out an anti-social, dangerous and illegal action that people do all the time and no one ever stands up to... blah blah blah

Thanks for this sad but accurate summary.