Sterilising Plastick Bottles

Maybole

We have an Ionizing Water Filter although I think the mains supply is perfectly drinkable. Madam  refills the large water bottles which we originnally bought full in various supermarkets. I would like to sterilise them occasionally but need guidance on how to do it. Heat is not possible. I am contemplating using a weak solution of bleach.

Has any member any opinion on this or a better suggestion?

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Maybole said:

Ionizing Water Filter

You might want to check on what that does, and does not do.  If you are in Bangkok the mains water should indeed be drinkable and is tested at a number of locations continually. 

http://twqonline.mwa.co.th/EN/map.php?type=

But find RO filter does improve the taste and they do not have to be very expensive.  If water bottle is suspect just buy another at supermarket as replacement would be my thinking - do not do any sterilizing so unable to answer - just bottle directly from RO system.  

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

Use the same tablets they use for sterilizing babies bottles, Gotta be safe etc as its for babies.

But then you would always be wanting a Farleys Rusk to go with your water.!

Edited by wgdanson
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

Use the same tablets they use for sterilizing babies bottles, Gotta be safe etc as its for babies.

That would be calcium or sodium hypochlorite, aka bleach.  Bleach is my choice too since it's widely available, cheap and effective.  If you don't care for the smell of chlorine bleaches, there are oxygen bleaches available in the laundry detergent section of most supermarkets.

General recommendation for surface cleaning is a 1% dilution of 5% bleach (mix 10 ml of 5% bleach into 1 liter of water).  For cleaning biohazards like blood stains or human excretions, double it to 20 ml.

My thanks to all who replied.

To tell a further story, my wife, for her first 25 years drank untreated water from the well at her father's house. Then they had a concrete tower with a sand and gravel filter and an aerating spray built. The family used that for a further 20 years. About 10 years ago the municipality installed mains water in the village and in spite of assurances that it was safe, sales personnel conviced them  that all sorts of diseases would result unless they used this VERY expensive filter. The entire village was conned into buying filters on hire purchase at a  grossly inflated price I calculate that most villagers paid Thb500 per month for 4 years for a device which retails for less than Thb9000.