Is Thailand too much for an 80 year old?

mrblonde

Me and my partner visit Thaialnd every year, to party in Pattaya and relax in other areas, such as Buriram, Ayutthaya and Chaing Mai.  My father (who's a young and spritely 80 year old, still works as a gardener in our local village, dog walks etc) keeps asking what its like, why do we love the place so much etc.  He said he'd jump at the chance to see it, as he worked with a lot of Thais in the Middle East in the 70's and 80's.

Would the flight be too much for him? Or the heat/humidity?  I know everyones different, but wanted some opinions on taking an elderly relative away for 2 weeks to see what we love

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

Since he wants to come then certainly, go for it. try to make it during the cool season, though, will be much easier on him that way.

Thanks Sheryl, when is cool season?  We've just got back last week and it seemed hotter than normal, even in Central Thailand the locals were saying its hotter than usual

33 minutes ago, mrblonde said:

I know everyones different

That's the point of course.

But as you described him he is mentally and physically fit to do and enjoy the trip.
Of course you should make the trip as comfortable as budget allows.

Either business class flight and/or consider flying with the Arabs (6 + 6 hours better to my opinion). Local long distance in taxi/limousine.

If flying economy:

at arrival he is entitled to use the fast track at the airport.

Otherwise pay and book the AOT fast track service for all of you (about 1200 per person).

Depending on any medication?

Travel health insurance is a must.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

But as you described him he is mentally and physically fit to do and enjoy the trip.

Either business class flight and/or consider flying with the Arabs (6 + 6 hours better to my opinion). Local long distance in taxi/limousine.

If flying economy:

Otherwise pay and book the AOT fast track service for all of you (about 1200 per person).

Thanks KhunBENQ, was going to ask about the fast track service at BKK, as took about 90 mins to get through 4 weeks ago on arrival  ????    Where is that booked via please? 

He has meds for a muscle condition but just pain relief, thats all.  I'll take a look at the travel insurance link Sheryl kindly shared in next post

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

December  and January. Sometimes into first half of February but not always Just started cooling off this week.

Don't fail to have him get travel insurance. This one will cover older people

https://www.goodtogoinsurance.com/travel-insurance-over-65/senior-travel-insurance

as we've just got back, and have to sort him a passport etc we were thinking between early May and November next year, if any of those months are cooler than others?

10 minutes ago, mrblonde said:

Where is that booked via please? 

https://www.limousine.in.th/fast-track-immigration.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAlvnfBRA1EiwAVOEgfCy3cH7iOuDDf_6EfteBjF2zd9naZcCQ7CXDiKKvuuPzy4sa9Y9LQRoC6SEQAvD_BwE

They explicitely stated that the service is STILL available independent of booking class.

(you might hear that certain "passes" are no more usable with economy)

You don't need to combine with a limousine but if you stay first night(s) in Bangkok it also worth considering for three persons.

Edited by KhunBENQ

17 minutes ago, mrblonde said:

was going to ask about the fast track service at BKK, as took about 90 mins to get through 4 weeks ago on arrival  ????    Where is that booked via please? 

If you fly business class you get fast track through immigration automatically. If you are over 70 you also get it, even if you fly economy. No need to pay anything at all. And if you think you need a wheelchair or similar assistance then your airline will arrange it, again for free.

It took me all of 3 minutes to get through immigration last month, and then I had to wait 15 minutes for my luggage to arrive even though they were the first bags off the conveyor belt.

If you keep your eye on airline sales from the UK over a few weeks you can usually pick up a business class ticket with a lie-flat seat for around £1000 without much trouble.

12 hours ago, mrblonde said:

Thats what i'm thinking, hes worked hard all his life and doesnt holiday now, other than a weekend in bournemouth with all the other oldies...  I want him to see what Thailand is like, he madness, the noise, the food and the people.  He's a bit deaf but thats probably an advantage in parts of Thailand ???? 

take him before its too late, hope you all enjoy

12 hours ago, mrblonde said:

Thanks KhunBENQ, was going to ask about the fast track service at BKK, as took about 90 mins to get through 4 weeks ago on arrival  ????    Where is that booked via please? 

He has meds for a muscle condition but just pain relief, thats all.  I'll take a look at the travel insurance link Sheryl kindly shared in next post

You and your father can use the Senior line 70 years old + which is the fast track VIP?  the line the Thai use. 

As long as he's in good health for his age, and can still walk....why not.  We might only live once....  go for it. 

In Chaing Mai, I met a very elderly couple traveling Southeast Asia in their sunset years.....  the wife even pushing a walker... and they said they were having a great time and would go again. 

From what you've said... I'm sure he would love it..  A bit of adventure in his old age... Might even reverse the clock a bit and make him feel younger.....   Go for it..  

The only advice would be to pack light..... one single carry-on bag.  You don't want to have to carry lots of stuff that you can actually do without. 

I'm 67.... and go with only one 35 litre convertible backpack...(Minaal 2.0) ... and I go for months at a time...

I'm going to keep travelling until I drop.... ... or even stay and finish out my life there in southeast Asia next time I arrive there in 2019.

Edited by Catoni
Addition
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

If flying economy:

Why pay for fast track ?  Tell airline he needs a wheelchair and he will go straight through !  Unlikely to get travel health insurance at his age.

13 hours ago, mrblonde said:

Thanks Sheryl, when is cool season?  We've just got back last week and it seemed hotter than normal, even in Central Thailand the locals were saying its hotter than usual

If you're just coming for a short visit of a couple of weeks..he won't be in Thailand long anough to acclimatize and get used to the heat.   So in that case... go for airconditioning....  always have a bottle of water handy... perhaps with just a small touch of salt in the water if he is sweating a lot.

So your "coolest" time (Thailand is always very warm or hot) with lower humidity is probably around November to February.. .give or take a few weeks..

I find the hottest time to be around Songkran time in April...     That time of year is always hotter than normal..... and that... is normal also...   55555 ????

Meanwhile... back in Canada for now...  our region is having colder than normal temperatures.... and early snow.... .  ????   

13 hours ago, KittenKong said:

If you fly business class you get fast track through immigration automatically. If you are over 70 you also get it, even if you fly economy. No need to pay anything at all. And if you think you need a wheelchair or similar assistance then your airline will arrange it, again for free.

It took me all of 3 minutes to get through immigration last month, and then I had to wait 15 minutes for my luggage to arrive even though they were the first bags off the conveyor belt.

If you keep your eye on airline sales from the UK over a few weeks you can usually pick up a business class ticket with a lie-flat seat for around £1000 without much trouble.

I was basically going to give the same info as KittyKong FTR I am 80 live in Thailand full time at the moment, Going to Australia in the new Year. my family have organised a wheel chair and business class Tickets so should be a breeze at Immigration. On the weather side I have a Brit mate lives north of Chiangmai Temperature am yesterday 13 Celsius yesterday and 12 degrees today