Is Thailand too much for an 80 year old?

mrblonde

Thanks all, quick update, the old boy is going in for an MOT at the doctors this week just to make sure he's OK to travel, then I'll be back no doubt with more questions

Thanks again everyone, cant wait to see his face the first time we venture down LK Metro!!   ????

12 hours ago, mrblonde said:

Thanks all, quick update, the old boy is going in for an MOT at the doctors this week just to make sure he's OK to travel, then I'll be back no doubt with more questions

Thanks again everyone, cant wait to see his face the first time we venture down LK Metro!!   ????

Just keep an eye on his health while he is here. And be aware of what he needs to drink and what he eats. Hygiene is the No 1 priority for him. Our immune system decreases as we age. In 10 years I was hospitalised once for what was giardiasis (wrong/careless drinking).

Otherwise, ENJOY.

BTW - Make sure he is taking his blood pressure medication if venturing down sois such as LK Metro and many others! ????

Edited by lvr181
Additional comment

he doesn't always need to be out rampaging up and down the sois. it is easy to find a sweet young lady who will be glad to come to his room, prepare his lunch, tidy up while he dines, then give him a massage and shower. Cost? About $25 plus tip. Memories: priceless.

long flight can dehydrate the elderly very fast.  if you have time, and if the trip is very long, maybe one night somewhere half-way from home to Thailand.  then, in thailand, just a few hours a day.  it's overwhelming for the body.  drink, rest, not much walking (almost impossible), and rest more and more than you think.  of course you can drink all night and whatever....but he is much less capable than you want him to be.  

rest, taxi to temple, rest, eat, taxi around, eat, rest, sleep...

it might take him a week before he can do 50% of what you think he can do

I would certainly recommend considering upgrading to Premium Economy to make the flight a little easier at that age. Also, if taking PE on Cathay Pacific, he can break the journey in HK and maybe spend 2-3 days there as part of the experience and arrive BKK a little less knocked out.

2 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Good luck with that.

I see prices around that level every month or so, in sales. But sales usually only last a couple of days so you have to look every day and you have to be quick to buy and you have to be somewhat flexible with your dates. I can do that as I'm a leisure traveller only.

My ticket for this year (going BKK>LHR>BKK which is usually much more expensive than LHR>BKK>LHR) cost me under £1300, and during a sale last year the same ticket was available for under £1000.

There are great sales that last a couple of days and other sales that last months. Easy to find, look at the link below. Also don't be lazy and only look at direct flights. Last year I flew business class on Qatar from CMB (Colombo) to PHL (Philadelphia USA) ROUNDTRIP (RT) for $1,250 USD. That included a free night in Doha in the Intercontinental hotel. RT BKK-CMB could have been under $250 coach but I used miles.

Current sales: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740-2.html

RT Sale from LON for premium economy for £645 : https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals/1953609-lh-lhr-bkk-premium-economy-645-a.html

Create a free online acct. Subscribe to a daily email alert to the premium fare forum. Also to the regular fare forum if you don't mind traveling in coach.